Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
k95 platnium has no cherry blue switches....ugh
Corsair is pretty good about listening to what their customers want. Send them a message requesting them to do a version with blue's.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they are all sold out of all 5 brands.

Somebody convince me not to buy Ryzen - I put aside $1500 for a new build, but the gaming performance is underwhelming.

In fact, I am almost certain my [email protected] is faster in games, and I already have two hexacore systems for productivity work (which I don't really do beyond some excel number crunching).

With that being said, I a) Want a new toy and b) Want to support team Red. Something is going on in those benchmarks, because I can't see how Ryzen can perform so well in Cinibench and CPU-Mark and then absolutely shit the bed in games. If only it overclocked better...... long gone are the days where I could buy a Duron 600 and overclock it to 1+ ghz using nothing more than a pencil and an annoyingly loud fan.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they are all sold out of all 5 brands.

If your gaming at 4k, a 1080ti is probably the only capable single card solution. Even with a 1080, you have to compromise on settings.

My overclocked 1070 (which is about 5% slower than a stock 1080) can't drive my 4k TV. Deus Ex at Very High settings was like 30-35fps.

Like you said, see if you can hold out a couple more weeks until aftermarket coolers start hitting the market. Founders Edition cards are good, but based on reviews, they were routinely hitting the 85c temp limit (unless you crank of the fan speed manually). A nice Windforce or STRIX cooler would mint on a 1080ti.

Tried to buy a deeply discounted gaming laptop I had been wanting for a while, but it was sold out by the time I saw the deal. Doh!

10th March release date, but I checked online to purchase, and my only retailer 'Overclockers UK' has a bunch of pre-orders....FUCK THAT, I want a concrete date FOR FUCKS SAKE...

Last edited:
Somebody convince me not to buy Ryzen - I put aside $1500 for a new build, but the gaming performance is underwhelming.

In fact, I am almost certain my [email protected] is faster in games, and I already have two hexacore systems for productivity work (which I don't really do beyond some excel number crunching).

With that being said, I a) Want a new toy and b) Want to support team Red. Something is going on in those benchmarks, because I can't see how Ryzen can perform so well in Cinibench and CPU-Mark and then absolutely shit the bed in games. If only it overclocked better...... long gone are the days where I could buy a Duron 600 and overclock it to 1+ ghz using nothing more than a pencil and an annoyingly loud fan.
Ryzen performance is going to improve with time. If you want a gaming rig, hold out for the r5's. The 1600x looks to be a binned 1800x. Less cores means less heat which means more over clock.
The Ryzens out now aren't really a gamers processor.
AMD made a smart move here. They released the chips that system administrators and other people like that use. Let them figure out all the bugs, then AMD can fix those bugs before they release their "mainstream" processors.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what Tech reviewers do you guys normally follow?
I watch LTT, Jay, Paul, Kyle, and GamersNexus. I've tried watching pcper but I lose interest. I've tried watching Hardware Canucks but his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

It's bullshit imo. I'm fighting with them to send it back now, they want me to pay $20 for shipping and handling. It was only $6.50 for me to ship it to them.
Mostly Linus and Jay, and sometimes Barnacules when he does a relevant or interesting unboxing.

Hybrid 1080ti....
come to me.....i am ready for ssuper sayian blue

Yes, but there is no sense in using water on a locked CPU such as I have. I'm just impressed at the performance for a cooler you can get for $20.
Oh, I'm so happy you posted that. I'd been looking at this exact model vs. some Arctic Freezer designs, and now I know it's absolutely perfect for pairing with an i5-7500.

Oh, I'm so happy you posted that. I'd been looking at this exact model vs. some Arctic Freezer designs, and now I know it's absolutely perfect for pairing with an i5-7500.

Considering that your i5-7500 is rated at 65W while my i5-5490 is rated at 84W, you will never have to worry about CPU temp.

One thing that confused me. The bracket that you install first stays loose until you install the cooler itself. It's an easy install, but does not seem right at first.

I don't have experience with Arctic cpu coolers, but I run use their F series pwm fans in a couple of builds and I'm really happy with them for the price. I was running them in my main rig and switched to Phanteks, only difference i noticed was noise and there wasn't that much difference.

Considering that your i5-7500 is rated at 65W while my i5-5490 is rated at 84W, you will never have to worry about CPU temp.

One thing that confused me. The bracket that you install first stays loose until you install the cooler itself. It's an easy install, but does not seem right at first.
I don't have experience with Arctic cpu coolers, but I run use their F series pwm fans in a couple of builds and I'm really happy with them for the price. I was running them in my main rig and switched to Phanteks, only difference i noticed was noise and there wasn't that much difference.
Not my processor. For a friend who is replacing her comp, but thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, it gets super hot where I'm at, so stock coolers can be a concern depending on what someone wants to do.

Well, been eyeballing that GTX 1080 Ti, @Cygnus A. Looks like your fancy schmancy pants first world problems won't be solved once EVGA drops its ACX version of the card for your $1K G-Sync Ultrawide Monster. Looks like you might have to just suck it up and get a second GTX 1080 to SLI if you want to push your averages to that 100fps ceiling on Ultra settings:
http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/2/
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2312-ultrawide-gpu-gaming-benchmark-fps-performance

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Crysis-3-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Battlefield-4-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-DOOM-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Rise-Of-The-Tomb-Raider-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Metro-Last-Light-Redux-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Total-War-ATTILA-3440x1440.png

Not my processor. For a friend who is replacing her comp, but thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, it gets super hot where I'm at, so stock coolers can be a concern depending on what someone wants to do.

Well, been eyeballing that GTX 1080 Ti, @Cygnus A. Looks like your fancy schmancy pants first world problems won't be solved once EVGA drops its ACX version of the card for your $1K G-Sync Ultrawide Monster. Looks like you might have to just suck it up and get a second GTX 1080 to SLI if you want to push your averages to that 100fps ceiling on Ultra settings:
http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/2/
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2312-ultrawide-gpu-gaming-benchmark-fps-performance

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Crysis-3-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Battlefield-4-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-DOOM-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Rise-Of-The-Tomb-Raider-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Metro-Last-Light-Redux-3440x1440.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Total-War-ATTILA-3440x1440.png

mick your upgrading too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics