Crime Seal Team Six Operators Charged with Murder of Green Beret

Good point. I was surprised at how little was leaked during the year long investigation.

You mean ST6/DEVGRU or SEALs in general? Seems to me that in general, they have a very misconduct tolerant culture. (Maybe that's a Navy thing, IDK.) That kind of thing never comes back to bite you in the ass, amiright?

How plausible do you think the story about this being a cover-up for SEALs skimming funds? Wouldn't be the first time ST6 was accused of having a hand in missing money. Wasn't there a large sum that went missing during the rescue of Captain Philips?

If that were the case, wouldn't there be more charges? The charge sheet reads as if this were a hazing gone wrong, not a cover-up for financial misconduct.

It’s not necessarily a Navy thing, but a SEAL thing.

People act like they are the hottest thing since sliced bread, which can fuel a man’s egomania if they are so predisposed. Delta Force used to be what everyone talked about, until Mogadishu and they fell out of favor for missions. After that, SEALS really started to get used for more missions that formerly were not what they were designed for. But keep in mind, most SEALS are 20-something year old American men which usually means immature. BUD/S is hellacious training, and if you complete it you are undoubtedly tough. But it is mostly a physical grind fest, with very little in the way of decision making, weeding out immaturity and idiots. You can be psychotic, scrupleless, and/or dumb as a post and become a SEAL if you are physically tenacious enough.

It’s very different from the Q-course (Special Forces training) which is physically difficult, but also requires intelligence and maturity to complete. Keep in mind, most SEALS have no prior infantry experience. They haven’t had to demonstrate that level of discipline. IMO, SEALS are great and have their place, but in many instances I’d rather have Special Forces.

It’s not necessarily a Navy thing, but a SEAL thing.

People act like they are the hottest thing since sliced bread, which can fuel a man’s egomania if they are so predisposed. Delta Force used to be what everyone talked about, until Mogadishu and they fell out of favor for missions. After that, SEALS really started to get used for more missions that formerly were not what they were designed for. But keep in mind, most SEALS are 20-something year old American men which usually means immature. BUD/S is hellacious training, and if you complete it you are undoubtedly tough. But it is mostly a physical grind fest, with very little in the way of decision making, weeding out immaturity and idiots. You can be psychotic, scrupleless, and/or dumb as a post and become a SEAL if you are physically tenacious enough.

It’s very different from the Q-course (Special Forces training) which is physically difficult, but also requires intelligence and maturity to complete. Keep in mind, most SEALS have no prior infantry experience. They haven’t had to demonstrate that level of discipline. IMO, SEALS are great and have their place, but in many instances I’d rather have Special Forces.

Im not too familiar with the military but i thought seals were 'special forces'.

Im not too familiar with the military but i thought seals were 'special forces'.

They are Special Operations, not Special Forces.
Special Forces were, and are, only US Army Green Berets. The usage is often bastardized by those that don’t know.

They are Special Operations, not Special Forces.
Special Forces were, and are, only US Army Green Berets. The usage is often bastardized by those that don’t know.
I've always understood that Special Forces when used by non military members is used as a catch-all which is unfortunate as "Special Forces" in the Army means you have the long tab.

I disagree. Risking your life for your country should count for something, even if you fuck up badly, and disgrace yourself later down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't protest if they were to get the death penalty. I'm just not against throwing them the smallest of bones for their service, and locking them up for life instead. They should still pay a very severe price.

What are you talking about? You don't get a bye for crimes because of service to your country. You should be punished more severely for it, as it should be.

When you join the military, you subject yourself to military discipline, the penalties of violating of which are on the whole more severe, harsher and swifter than civilian justice. It is this way for a reason - the consequences of violating good order and discipline are amplified when you have given men the license and opportunity to use deadly force.

Excepting treason, the committing of murder against your fellows in arms is the highest form of military crime and should be punished so accordingly. Anything less is stain on the honor of the entire system.

I've always understood that Special Forces when used by non military members is used as a catch-all which is unfortunate as "Special Forces" in the Army means you have the long tab.

If you want to see a Green Beret cringe, call a SEAL “Special Forces.”

I've seen it first hand.

It's like when you're out with your buddy that is 82nd and is with a Ranger go "I went to Ranger school" but doesn't follow it up with "but I wasn't Ranger Battalion"

My dad will do it sometimes too when people claim that other than SEALs Navy guys never had to fight on land.

Well, that MIGHT be true now but my dad wasn't a SEAL but spent more time on land in Vietnam than on the boat as a brown bar LT with Marines, UDT Navy guys, Aussie Rangers, and South Korean infantry.

In the UK, the Special Forces Directorate includes the SAS, SBS and SRR, as well as various units tasked with supporting them. Thus, special forces is a term applied to multiple units. In the American military, as you say, only one unit can correctly be termed Special Forces. The rest are Special Operations Units.

Honestly the whole thing between 'special forces' and 'special operations' seems petty and unnecessary. Its basically the same thing.

Two MARSOC marines were also charged with helping to cover up. Basically the Green Beret discovered the DEVGRU operators were stealing funds meant for informants in Mali and was about to report them. Those involved in the scheme decided to kill him before they got exposed. They strangled him in his sleep and cut his throat open to hide the mark, citing they were giving him first aid.

What do you think? Firing squad or life without parole?

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/16/seal-team-6-green-beret-death/

Looks like they're pleading guilty to 'Hazing', not sure if they'll serve any time.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/logan-...dam-matthews-pleaded-guilty-today-2019-05-16/

Looks like they're pleading guilty to 'Hazing', not sure if they'll serve any time.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/logan-...dam-matthews-pleaded-guilty-today-2019-05-16/

He's also being charged with assault, not just hazing

Military prosecutors agreed to drop the murder charge against Matthews, who agreed to testify against a fellow Navy SEAL and two Marines who were also charged in the incident.

Sounds like prosecution didn't have a strong enough case against the guy who actually slit the throat, so they let one of the guys who covered it up sing like a birdie for a no murder charge deal. Crappy, but it happens. Better than all of them walking free.

He's also being charged with assault, not just hazing

Military prosecutors agreed to drop the murder charge against Matthews, who agreed to testify against a fellow Navy SEAL and two Marines who were also charged in the incident.

Sounds like prosecution didn't have a strong enough case against the guy who actually slit the throat, so they let one of the guys who covered it up sing like a birdie for a no murder charge deal. Crappy, but it happens. Better than all of them walking free.

Do you see them doing any real time?

I think their service should spare them of the death penalty, but LWOP would be fine by me.
They’re an absolute disgrace to every service member past and present. Their prior service should give them no special treatment. Team guys and raiders killing Army special forces for petty money. What the fuck.

These assholes should be hand delivered to 3rd SFG.

I think their service should spare them of the death penalty, but LWOP would be fine by me.

Service without morality is meaningless. Military and law enforcement are held to a standard of ethics that is far above the normal citizen. The public demands this because it is necessary. If anything, their service is MORE of a reason for the death penalty given the egregious nature of the crime.

They’re an absolute disgrace to every service member past and present. Their prior service should give them no special treatment. Team guys and raiders killing Army special forces for petty money. What the fuck.

These assholes should be hand delivered to 3rd SFG.

Looks like it was a hazing gone wrong or simple revenge for perceived slights and not the graver crime of a conspiracy to commit murder to cover up financial malfeasance. As much as a man ended up dead, those two are different crimes. No need to hang the shit on them that they didn’t do.

And remember, the reporting of an embezzlement coverup came from The Intercept. As much as it’s enjoyable reading about the sordid deeds of SEALs in their stories, half their content is fiction.

Gallagher, on the other hand, is about to be nailed to the wall. Seven of his own teammates rolled on him. He must have been a special type of asshole SEAL for them to turn on their own. At children who clearly non combatants... Jesus.

Death by dragon fire.

Or life in prison with the only thing to do being watch the finale of game of thrones.

Back