Rewatched GSP vs. Hendricks.

His style was tailor made for Wonderboy. After a beating like that it's hard to come back for some fighters

After Barao got his ass handed to him by Tj he looked like ass even against Mitch Gagnon (pre USADA)

I'm not saying steroids should be completely ruled out but I think Hendricks knew he wasn't getting another shot after that loss, hell he even missed weight at middleweight and I don't think he needs steroid help to make that weight

And he mauled Brown before he fought Wonderboy

Lol ok. You stated he looked like shit (in summary) against Wonderboy because his hopes for a title were dashed against GSP. Except he went on after that fight and beat Brown. and then after USADA kicked in, looked like shit against Wonderboy.

So your assertion that it was his mental state that contributed to the loss somehow didn't kick in against Brown?

Odd.

And BTW Brown rolled through Wonderboy just as an aside.

Lol ok. You stated he looked like shit (in summary) against Wonderboy because his hopes for a title were dashed against GSP. Except he went on after that fight and beat Brown. and then after USADA kicked in, looked like shit against Wonderboy.

So your assertion that it was his mental state that contributed to the loss somehow didn't kick in against Brown?

Odd.

And BTW Brown rolled through Wonderboy just as an aside.
No, I'm saying Wonderboy broke his will. He looked great after his loss to gsp, holding his own in the boxing with Lawler. Wonderboy killed his will

Except I didn't score it 3-2 for GSP, I scored it a draw.

Either way, a Draw or a Decison for GSP results in GSP retaining the belt. I think people just wanted to see GSP lose so badly that Hendricks became the poster boy for beating GSP.

Round 1 | 10-10 Draw
1st Minute: GSP; takedown, guillotine attempt
2nd Minute: Hendricks; punch/elbow while defending takedown.
3rd Minute: Hendricks; takedown, clinch
4th Minute: GSP; striking
5th Minute: Draw; clinch, striking

Round 2 | 10-9 Hendricks
1st Minute: Hendricks; striking (wobbled GSP)
2nd Minute: Hendricks; striking, clinch
3rd Minute: GSP; striking
5th Minute: Draw; striking

Round 3 | 10-9 GSP
1st Minute: Draw; striking
2nd Minute: GSP; striking
3rd Minute: Draw; striking
4th Minute: GSP, striking
5th Minute: Draw; clinch

Round 4 | 10-9 Hendricks
1st Minute: GSP; striking
2nd Minute: Hendricks; top control, short elbow cut after GSP slipped/tripped
3rd Minute: Hendricks; striking
4th Minute: Hendricks; striking, clinch
5th Minute: Draw; clinch

Round 5 | 10-9 GSP
1st Minute: Draw; takedown attempt
2nd Minute: GSP; striking, takedown
3rd Minute: Draw; clinch
5th Minute: GSP; clinch, takedown

48-48 Draw
The round is scored overall, not minute by minute.

If something significant happened in the 5th minute, it triumphs the other 4 minutes... Like Jones VS Gus round 4.

Biggest problem with the scoring system is it doesn't take into account the effectiveness of strikes.

If you hit someone with a bunch of pitter patter shots that don't do much and they hit you with a big overhand that drops you, it's obvious which was more effective.

If a punch drops you then it does score heavier with the judges, lol.

Judging the effectiveness of a strike is already considered in the rules. You just don't like the result of this match.
Using swelling as a marker for success more so than strike count or any of the other things that judges look for is silly. They look for the effect on the contest, not how pretty someone is. Lol.

Holy shit, you guys should know this stuff by now.

And people say BJ folded under pressure...well he didn't quit MMA after tough fights lol.

GSP's legacy is kind of a joke.

LOL, right?

Because he had easy fights with Karo, Penn, Condit, Hughes...

He obviously didn't avenge all of his losses and won two titles. You're a ridiculous man.

If something significant happened in the 5th minute, it triumphs the other 4 minutes... Like Jones VS Gus round 4.

Ah, an mma fan who knows how the rules work. Wtf is going on in this thread? People want bruises to be factored into a contest, smh.

Ah, an mma fan who knows how the rules work. Wtf is going on in this thread? People want bruises to be factored into a contest, smh.
More than half of sherdog posters today, are idiots.

A lot of the people who know what they are talking about, have left.

Are you one of those fanboys that think GSP is clean?

I do. You know why? Because there is no proof that he has ever used.

You can hope or want something to be true all you want but it doesn't make it so. Until you can provide some evidence that is not circumstantial speculative garbage being circulated by haters as something of substance, quit chirping off. No real mma fans give a shit, we only deal in facts.

More than half of sherdog posters today, are idiots.

A lot of the people who know what they are talking about, have left.

True. I have actually noticed that. Even the guys that I sometimes disagreed with here and there were at least sincere and logical and I could respect that.

I hope it changes to be honest.

Unfortunately GSP threads never seem to go that well. As for the fight with the scoring system how it is, I would say split decision edging to GSP but Hendricks did clearly beat him up more. For those of you saying that Hendricks made GSP retire... GSP came back and won the MW title, something Hendricks definitely didn't do.

tenor.gif

LOL, right?

Because he had easy fights with Karo, Penn, Condit, Hughes...

He obviously didn't avenge all of his losses and won two titles. You're a ridiculous man.
None of those fights (whether a loss, e.g. Hughes I or Serra I, or a close fight) presented the same range of challenge that prime Hendricks did. That's a demonstrable fact. Karo and Hughes were one-dimensional, BJ was a fucking LW, Condit can't defend a TD to save his life, etc.

I.e. those were easily solvable problems either the first or second time around - which is a credit to GSP's skillset and athleticism (natty or otherwise).

But it also underscores his retirement (at what, age 32?) after Hendricks whupped that ass. GSP said no mas to that shit where before he'd always at least shown up for the (easy) rematch win.

Thus we arrive at: Hendricks retired GSP; GSP never managed to really overcome his greatest challenger in the way that other MMA greats have either done or tried to do.

Close fight. Every round was decisive but the first. Coulda gone either way. Gave it to gsp via sub attempt.

None of those fights (whether a loss, e.g. Hughes I or Serra I, or a close fight) presented the same range of challenge that prime Hendricks did. That's a demonstrable fact. Karo and Hughes were one-dimensional, BJ was a fucking LW, Condit can't defend a TD to save his life, etc.

I.e. those were easily solvable problems either the first or second time around - which is a credit to GSP's skillset and athleticism (natty or otherwise).

But it also underscores his retirement (at what, age 32?) after Hendricks whupped that ass. GSP said no mas to that shit where before he'd always at least shown up for the (easy) rematch win.

Thus we arrive at: Hendricks retired GSP; GSP never managed to really overcome his greatest challenger in the way that other MMA greats have either done or tried to do.

You are assuming that GSP decided to retire because he did not want to rematch Hendricks. That is pure speculation. Your claim that it is because "it is a demonstrable fact that Hendricks presented a greater challenge" is actually speculation.

You discredit him beating Penn for being a LW, but don't give credit for him beating Bisping, who was a MW had just beat Silva, Rockhold, and Henderson. Nor Shields, who was the SF MW champion, with wins over Okami, Lawler, Henderson, Dayley...

Bisping is a lot larger than Georges, has great takedown defense (see his fight with Chael), has range, and was extremely active. He was the favorite in the polls against GSP. Trigg was a very large WW who also competed competitively in MW (beating Misaki, who beat Henderson). Alves was on a large winning streak, had fantastic takedown defense, and is a far better striker than Hendricks. Shields was on a 15 fight winning streak...

Koscheck was an extremely large and powerful wrestler who acquired a lot of punching power later on. He got a shoddy decision against Peirce, and lost to Rick Story. Hendricks barely beat Koscheck in a split decision, which many think he lost. He won a decision against Condit, but was gassed and getting murked in the third.

Hendricks was as a result not the favorite in the polls, nor was he considered at the time they fought to be GSPs greatest challenge until that point. It is easy to say that retrospectively because of how the fight went, ignoring the truth about Hendricks. But Hendricks is not 'well rounded' or presents a "greater range of challenge". He is a great wrestler, with lots of power, but doesn't have remarkable striking or BJJ. He also refused to partake in enhanced testing, while GSP willingly submitted himself to it. We know how he looked after USADA came in.

GSP said that he had an announcement to make before the fight took place. But of course, your thesis is that he had other plans, won the fight but didn't want the rematch, and so changed his mind and retired in the last minute to avoid fighting.

I don't think you have any idea how stupid that sounds.

Disappeared?

Too bad Lombard fought 24 days ago, at Fight Night 137.

He lost. But he didn't disappear.

You're so dumb it's not even funny.

Hendricks won the fight. It was a robbery. Get over it, losers.
someones panties are in a bundle. Lombard was suppose to be the middleweight goat coming into the ufc. he couldnt make it and now hes on his way to getting cut. he disappeared. you are here crying tears later how hendricks should have won yet he didnt cause he couldnt. you are also crying how hector lombard is releveant when hes not. you are truly the dumb one and "its not even funny"

That fight was so close it's hard to pick a winner either way. I scored it as a draw, but I can understand arguments for GSP or Hendricks. But then again, to be the champ... you have to decisively beat the champ.

I know; I broke it down by the minute because it made explaining my rationale for the scoring easier and served the additional purpose of describing the fight itself (because I guarantee most of the people responding in this thread haven't seen the fight recently).

so sorry you have a really bad eye for the thing, because it was a clearly 3-2, but whenever GSP won, it doesnt matter, and the world saw the downfall of hendricks since then
Congratulations on making yourself look foolish:
TS saw the fight with a good eye

It was a close fight. But all I know is that GSP robbed us of a rematch by retiring . He pulled a Lennox Lewis on us.

The worst part about it all is that some of his fans were actually happy he retired and didn't give Hendricks a rematch. What the hell kinda of a fan are you?

Back