Rewatched GSP vs. Hendricks.

I know; I broke it down by the minute because it made explaining my rationale for the scoring easier and served the additional purpose of describing the fight itself (because I guarantee most of the people responding in this thread haven't seen the fight recently).

Congratulations on making yourself look foolish:
nop...
i was mistaken about ur eyes only that, go see a doctor because of it

It was a close fight. But all I know is that GSP robbed us of a rematch by retiring . He pulled a Lennox Lewis on us.

The worst part about it all is that some of his fans were actually happy he retired and didn't give Hendricks a rematch. What the hell kinda of a fan are you?
GSP had been fighting for 11 years by that point, most of which was against the best of his division, all the while most fighters fall off at the 9 year mark. I don't fault him for "retiring", and I'm not even a die hard GSP fan.

Lewis, though, was 38 years old when he retired...do I really need to speak any further on this?

Round 1 | 10-10 Draw
1st Minute: GSP; takedown, guillotine attempt
2nd Minute: Hendricks; punch/elbow while defending takedown.
3rd Minute: Hendricks; takedown, clinch
4th Minute: GSP; striking
5th Minute: Draw; clinch, striking

Round 2 | 10-9 Hendricks
1st Minute: Hendricks; striking (wobbled GSP)
2nd Minute: Hendricks; striking, clinch
3rd Minute: GSP; striking
5th Minute: Draw; striking

Round 3 | 10-9 GSP
1st Minute: Draw; striking
2nd Minute: GSP; striking
3rd Minute: Draw; striking
4th Minute: GSP, striking
5th Minute: Draw; clinch

Round 4 | 10-9 Hendricks
1st Minute: GSP; striking
2nd Minute: Hendricks; top control, short elbow cut after GSP slipped/tripped
3rd Minute: Hendricks; striking
4th Minute: Hendricks; striking, clinch
5th Minute: Draw; clinch

Round 5 | 10-9 GSP
1st Minute: Draw; takedown attempt
2nd Minute: GSP; striking, takedown
3rd Minute: Draw; clinch
5th Minute: GSP; clinch, takedown

48-48 Draw

you cant score a round 10-10 in MMA

GSP had been fighting for 11 years by that point, most of which was against the best of his division, all the while most fighters fall off at the 9 year mark. I don't fault him for "retiring", and I'm not even a die hard GSP fan.

Lewis, though, was 38 years old when he retired...do I really need to speak any further on this?

You can speak further on it if you like. In my opinion they both robbed us of a rematch. I am a big GSP but I won't ever forget this. His moves are always calculated in advance. He conveniently retires after almost losing. Then once Micheal Bisping won the belt he announces he's very hungry to come back and wants to fight Bisping no later than 2 weeks after Bisping beat Rockhold. Totally ignores Woodley and then once again conveniently vacates the middle weight belt. Next he tells everyone he may never fight again because of his condition. A few weeks later he wants to fight Mcgregor lol.

Despite this I still love the guy since he's given me some great fights in his career but I simply won't believe a single word out of his mouth. He's extremely intelligent and cunning with his motives.

Speaking of which; now that Conor Mcgregor lost, GSP feels like he doesn't want to return because of all the *drama*. Do you believe him my man?

Last edited:
I don't know how people can be so adamant that Hendricks won the first round upon subsequent viewings. It was basically even with GSP slightly edging him out. No other round was 10-8 and they both took 2 a piece. That's 48-47 GSP. Hendricks doing better than anyone expected doesn't win him a round or a fight, and it's funny any other time most of these guys would say "have to beat the champ to be the champ" when it's their favorite fighter or against someone they don't like.

You are assuming that GSP decided to retire because he did not want to rematch Hendricks. That is pure speculation. Your claim that it is because "it is a demonstrable fact that Hendricks presented a greater challenge" is actually speculation.
"Without a doubt my toughest fight" … do you have another interpretation? Followed by in-cage retirement, as you noted.

You discredit him beating Penn for being a LW, but don't give credit for him beating Bisping, who was a MW had just beat Silva, Rockhold, and Henderson. Nor Shields, who was the SF MW champion, with wins over Okami, Lawler, Henderson, Dayley…
Bisping was the closest thing to a joke/fluke champ since Forrest. GSP fanbois are at their weakest when trying to cast Bisping as a killer.
Bisping is a lot larger than Georges, has great takedown defense (see his fight with Chael), has range, and was extremely active. He was the favorite in the polls against GSP. Trigg was a very large WW who also competed competitively in MW (beating Misaki, who beat Henderson). Alves was on a large winning streak, had fantastic takedown defense, and is a far better striker than Hendricks. Shields was on a 15 fight winning streak...
All fine wins. Did somebody say they weren't?
Koscheck was an extremely large and powerful wrestler who acquired a lot of punching power later on. He got a shoddy decision against Peirce, and lost to Rick Story. Hendricks barely beat Koscheck in a split decision, which many think he lost. He won a decision against Condit, but was gassed and getting murked in the third.
Styles make fights. Koscheck was a decent wrestler who grafted a sloppy overhand right onto his game and had limited success.
Hendricks …. also refused to partake in enhanced testing, while GSP willingly submitted himself to it. We know how he looked after USADA came in.
Hendricks looks like shit after USADA so he was juicing. GSP vanishes along with his incredibly suspect physique (remember the email controversy lol) and he can't have been juicing because … uh … well. Oh, let's not speculate because its GSP.
GSP said that he had an announcement to make before the fight took place. But of course, your thesis is that he had other plans, won the fight but didn't want the rematch, and so changed his mind and retired in the last minute to avoid fighting.
Getting his ass kicked probably helped. And at any rate, arguably losing a razor close fight would ITSELF be reason for many good fighters to STAY AND REMATCH. Either way he did himself no favors.

As time goes on it'll be harder and harder to shoehorn GSP into GOAT arguments simply because he no-showed so much of his prime where other guys stayed active and put on some great fights, even while taking their Ls. Great skills but the fire just didn't burn so bright.

Don't have an issue with T.S s end game (draw) except for this : GSP vs Hendricks is one of those rare fights where you can know little about MMA judging and watch fight several times and pure common sense tells me who got the best of who.
Matt Hughes 's face at fights end told the story as his mouth went agate.

Not this again...

GSP won 2 rounds.
Hendricks won 2 rounds.

Round 1 is the only controversy; GSP had a sub attempt and Hendricks had a TD, depending on which should be worth more, that person wins Round 1. That being said, don't expect to take the belt BARELY winning 3-2 rounds, you have to either finish the champ or DOMINATE (which Hendricks didn't). GSP rightfully remained champ.

And for those saying GSP left the sport... yeah the guy was on a 9 title run and seemed pretty burned out from the constant Spotlight. He came back and beat the champ from the class above with a finish after 4 years out.

GSP is the greatest of all time by a landslide... I honestly believe that anyone who says otherwise doesn't know anything about MMA. Show me one fighter with a better resume: 26-2, beat every man he has faced, most top 5 wins in history, most top 10 wins in history, dominated 3 generations of fighters, 9 title défenses, lineal WW champ, lineal MW champ, crusader against PEDs.

Jones, Silva, Fedor, DC, MM, Khabib are all great, but they also have blemishes like abusing PEDs, string of losses, not enough title défenses, or not fighting great comp, GSP literally has it all.

Not this again...

GSP won 2 rounds.
Hendricks won 2 rounds.

Round 1 is the only controversy; GSP had a sub attempt and Hendricks had a TD, depending on which should be worth more, that person wins Round 1. That being said, don't expect to take the belt BARELY winning 3-2 rounds, you have to either finish the champ or DOMINATE (which Hendricks didn't). GSP rightfully remained champ.

And for those saying GSP left the sport... yeah the guy was on a 9 title run and seemed pretty burned out from the constant Spotlight. He came back and beat the champ from the class above with a finish after 4 years out.

GSP is the greatest of all time by a landslide... I honestly believe that anyone who says otherwise doesn't know anything about MMA. Show me one fighter with a better resume: 26-2, beat every man he has faced, most top 5 wins in history, most top 10 wins in history, dominated 3 generations of fighters, 9 title défenses, lineal WW champ, lineal MW champ, crusader against PEDs.

Jones, Silva, Fedor, DC, MM, Khabib are all great, but they also have blemishes like abusing PEDs, string of losses, not enough title défenses, or not fighting great comp, GSP literally has it all.
That's like saying James Dean would have been the best actor of all time. Well, no. He would have been in some stinkers and he would have gotten old. If you want to factor in the 'golden years' of other GOATS then you need to figure out a metric that considers GSP retiring at 32 or 33 while other guys kept fighting into their late 30s and 40s.

And beating ancient one-eyed Bisping was about as badass as Silva beating Forrest. A fun diversion, just not that amazing. Actually, Silva did it in a far more ridiculously cool way...(edit) and Fedor beat bigger guys his entire career lmao.

He conveniently retires after almost losing. Then once Micheal Bisping won the belt he announces he's very hungry to come back and wants to fight Bisping no later than 2 weeks after Bisping beat Rockhold.
He was talking about retiring in the lead up to the Condit fight, and he was talking about returning as early as February of 2016, but he wasn't talking about moving up to Middleweight until Bisping won the title. He also used that fighter's association formation as a negotiation tactic.

He's certainly done a lot of questionable things, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he retired because of Hendricks; I think the lack of PED testing and him having a child are the primary reasons for his retirement, that and the fact that he'd been competing at the top for so long in spite of his self-admitted stressfulness, then it wouldn't be surprising if he got burnt out.

I don't get why Hendricks has so much PED accusations.
The guy was just mentally beat after getting his title hopes taken, in his fight with Wonderboy he looked as jacked as usual and in great shape (post USADA). Wonderboy dismantled Hendricks and I think it killed his fire for the sport.
How the fuck would he miss the middleweight limit from steroids? That's just from lack of giving a shit.

Erick Silva looked half his normal size only a month after USADA came in while Hendricks still looked good after 7 months

Because it's totaly true that Hendricks was not able to cut weight like before because of USADA and they think that if you can't cut anymore because of USADA, it's because you must use PED.

But the truth is USADA don't only check for drugs, they also change the regulation for cutting weight and USADA ban the use of IV bags to rehydrate after a cut. Hendricks was using Iv bags ( with was legal at the time, so he din't cheat) to rehydrate. So he was living at 210 lbs, was cutting LOTS of water and could rehydrate in 24 hours by putting water with IV bags. After the ban of IV bags, he has to keep himself at 190 to be able to cut ( that 20 pound less).

That the story of a lots of fighter who were beast before USADA because, like hendricks, they should have fought in a higher weight class. To give you an idee, GSP was walking at 185,190 at the time, so Hendricks was having a 15-20 pounds advantage.

BUt, another problem of IV bag is that he was used before by some athlete to mask EPO in blood and help make "cleaner" urine test.

https://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibi...g-iv-infusions-for-re-hydration-and-recovery/

https://www.usada.org/iv-infusions-explanatory-note/

remember the email controversy lol
Tell me, does USADA have a banned substances list? In retrospect, I'm sure everyone can agree that GSP wanting to know what's banned is hardly a controversy.

I do. You know why? Because there is no proof that he has ever used.

You can hope or want something to be true all you want but it doesn't make it so. Until you can provide some evidence that is not circumstantial speculative garbage being circulated by haters as something of substance, quit chirping off. No real mma fans give a shit, we only deal in facts.

I get it. You have no experience with training MMA or probably even lifting weights so you have zero clue how steroids work.

It's ok brother, sometime in your fanboy haze things might start making sense to you.

Because it's totaly true that Hendricks was not able to cut weight like before because of USADA and they think that if you can't cut anymore because of USADA, it's because you must use PED.

But the truth is USADA don't only check for drugs, they also change the regulation for cutting weight and USADA ban the use of IV bags to rehydrate after a cut. Hendricks was using Iv bags ( with was legal at the time, so he din't cheat) to rehydrate. So he was living at 210 lbs, was cutting LOTS of water and could rehydrate in 24 hours by putting water with IV bags. After the ban of IV bags, he has to keep himself at 190 to be able to cut ( that 20 pound less).

That the story of a lots of fighter who were beast before USADA because, like hendricks, they should have fought in a higher weight class. To give you an idee, GSP was walking at 185,190 at the time, so Hendricks was having a 15-20 pounds advantage.

BUt, another problem of IV bag is that he was used before by some athlete to mask EPO in blood and help make "cleaner" urine test.

https://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibi...g-iv-infusions-for-re-hydration-and-recovery/

https://www.usada.org/iv-infusions-explanatory-note/
I get what you're saying but it's not like he was a big mw and couldn't make the weight.

I can understand why people think he's a heavy PED user but I think a lot of it has to do with his lack of motivation, he looked in great shape and made weight for his fight with Wonderboy which was 7 months or so after USADA came in. He got killed and now he looks nothing like he did before

sometimes big loses can kill a fighters motivation. He didn't look scared of fighting (like Barao) but he certainly didn't look to be taking training as seriously.

Maybe I'm being naive but looking at how quickly Erick Silva deflated in a month of USADA testing (Magny fight) and how Hendricks looked as good of shape as he ever had in 7 months of testing (wonderboy fight) aaand made weight just doesn't make too much sense to me.

all rounds to hendricks but rd 4 a draw. we all saw that, you can´t hide the sun with your hand

TS is in love with gsp

thread is pathetic

If rounds 3 and 5 were 10-9s for GSP than at least one of if not both of rounds 2 and 4 were certainly 10-8s.

I thought Hendricks won when I watched it live but it was honestly really cool seeing gsp fight for his life in the 5th winging punches with an intensity I’ve never really seen from him.

That's like saying James Dean would have been the best actor of all time. Well, no. He would have been in some stinkers and he would have gotten old. If you want to factor in the 'golden years' of other GOATS then you need to figure out a metric that considers GSP retiring at 32 or 33 while other guys kept fighting into their late 30s and 40s.

And beating ancient one-eyed Bisping was about as badass as Silva beating Forrest. A fun diversion, just not that amazing. Actually, Silva did it in a far more ridiculously cool way...(edit) and Fedor beat bigger guys his entire career lmao.

GSP has a better resume than those guys if we exclude their late career losses. And its not even close. Most top 5 and top 10 wins in mma history and the second one doesnt even comes close to his numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back