Prime (in shape) Duran vs prime "Money" Floyd

People say he didn't fight top competition because he didn't fight Pacman until they were both approaching their mid nineties, and that he apparently avoided Margarito (although I think that was more complicated) but even if you make the argument that he would have lost badly to Prime Pacquaio - he still fought a who's who of his era.

The only trouble is that it's easy to look at an undefeated record and pick apart why those wins don't count. Floyd won some robberies, true, Floyd fought people who weren't in good condition, also true - but I can't really think of many top names from that era who he DIDN'T fight.

People say he didn't fight top competition because he didn't fight Pacman until they were both approaching their mid nineties, and that he apparently avoided Margarito (although I think that was more complicated) but even if you make the argument that he would have lost badly to Prime Pacquaio - he still fought a who's who of his era.

The only trouble is that it's easy to look at an undefeated record and pick apart why those wins don't count. Floyd won some robberies, true, Floyd fought people who weren't in good condition, also true - but I can't really think of many top names from that era who he DIDN'T fight.
Floyd fought no one who wasn't in the top 5 from the time he won the WW championship against Baldomir. People exaggerate when they say he fought poor competition. He made good competition look poor.

LOL avoided Margarito to fight De La Hoya for the biggest fight in the history of boxing... Good luck wih that.

June 3rd I'll make this thread again and we can all have the same point, counter point discussion for the two new users who feel the need to ask the same two generic questions.

On June 8th I'll make the Ali-Tyson (In their Primes) thread

Last edited:
June 3rd I'll make this thread again and we can all have the same point, counter point discussion for the two new users who feel the need to ask the same two generic questions.

On June 8th Ill the Ali-Tyson (In their Primes) thread
I honestly think we should start not responding to any of those threads going forward.

On June 8th I'll make the Ali-Tyson (In their Primes) thread
Can you make a generic UFC fighter vs someone who fights at a different weight class at mma thread as well?

LOL avoided Margarito to fight De La Hoya for the biggest fight in the history of boxing... Good luck wih that.

You seem to think that I am saying he avoided Margarito. Which I'm not.

This thread would be much easier, if we were just comparing them at lightweight. Duran was one of the best lightweights of all time. After lightweight, Duran was all over the place, in terms of weight, so it was really hard to tell. Duran was very technical , but still, his chin and punching power were not as effective at the higher weight classes and he is a pressure fighter after all.

The guy's first fight was at 118 lb and he ended it at 168lbs. It seems like he would have tried to fight the junior welterweight champ after lightweight instead of skipping that weight class and moving straight to welterweight. His biggest weakness was making weight. His reputation was hurt by trying to jump up weight classes too quickly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Durán

This thread would be much easier, if we were just comparing them at lightweight. Duran was one of the best lightweights of all time. After lightweight, Duran was all over the place, in terms of weight, so it was really hard to tell. Duran was very technical , but still, his chin and punching power were not as effective at the higher weight classes and he is a pressure fighter after all.

The guy's first fight was at 118 lb and he ended it at 168lbs. It seems like he would have tried to fight the junior welterweight champ after lightweight instead of skipping that weight class and moving straight to welterweight. His biggest weakness was making weight. His reputation was hurt by trying to jump up weight classes too quickly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Durán
Floyd only had like 4 LW fights. How is that a fair comparison? Floyd wasn't hurt by making jumps in weight, even though he stepped up the level of his competition.

Floyd only had like 4 LW fights. How is that a fair comparison? Floyd wasn't hurt by making jumps in weight, even though he stepped up the level of his competition.

LW would be the best weight to catch both of them at their best.

Duran made too many jumps in weight and went all the way up to 168lb. Floyd only went up to 154lb. Moving up in weight will not effect Floyd as much as Duran because of styles. I'm not bringing up the weight class thing as a reason why Duran would have a chance against Floyd. I just think that moving up too quickly in weight made Duran look bad at times. Mayweather was smarter in his choice to slowly move up in weight

I think the most fair scenario would be a fantasy matchup at 140 even though Duran skipped that division.

I don't think Floyd fought cans but would you compare his quality of opposition favorably against Leonard/Benitez/Hearns/Hagler?

After Margaritos impending suspension? Or in this hypothetical are we assuming he doesn't get caught with plaster?
It would have to be in a hypothetical scenario. To be honest I'm not sure why they still went through with the fight or why he was ever allowed to fight again.

My main point is that Floyd did handpick his opponents and the date he fought Oscar was not the only time he could have fought Margarito or other guys that would have been awkward fights for him.

Last edited:
I think the most fair scenario would be a fantasy matchup at 140 even though Duran skipped that division.

I don't think Floyd fought cans but would you compare his quality of opposition favorably against Leonard/Benitez/Hearns/Hagler?
Why not welterweight Duran who beat Ray Leonard? That's the best win of his career.

Floyd fought no one who wasn't in the top 5 from the time he won the WW championship against Baldomir. People exaggerate when they say he fought poor competition. He made good competition look poor.

They are not ready to recieve all of him yet. They are too tight, give them time to gape.

It would have to be in a hypothetical scenario. To be honest I'm not sure why they still went through with the fight or why he was ever allowed to fight again.

My main point is that Floyd did handpicked his opponents and the date he fought Oscar was not the only time he could have fought Margarito or other guys that would have been awkward fights for him.
Ok I see what you are saying, I disagree that lot of his opponents were handpicked, but that's fine.

The only guy I think he truly hand picked was Berto for his last fight.

Ok I see what you are saying, I disagree that lot of his opponents were handpicked, but that's fine.

The only guy I think he truly hand picked was Berto for his last fight.
It's debatable I guess. I don't think some of the guys he fought had much of a chance to win, but he did face some top guys, even if maybe not quite in their prime.

Why not welterweight Duran who beat Ray Leonard? That's the best win of his career.
It was but he was still at his best at 135. At 147 Floyd would have a bit of a size advantage but I guess not too much.

It's debatable I guess. I don't think some of the guys he fought had much of a chance to win, but he did face some top guys, even if maybe not quite in their prime.
So when I see this response, much like @nastyleft did, I would ask you to tell me who he should have fought instead.

Try to think about the names you come up with and think about what they had lined up at the time you think Floyd should have fought them.

Back