Prime (in shape) Duran vs prime "Money" Floyd

No. He became a unified champion after beating Trout, so fighting Floyd next was the next logical step in his career, barring a Cotto fight. Which went out the window for that time when Cotto lost to Trout.

Great fighters lose sometimes. Cotto losses don't make him less great, do they? How about Pac, or Marquez? Canelo has already won his big fights(Lara and Cotto) after his one loss, and he's about to UD GGG;), but if two guys are top fighters at the time they fight, that's the only context anyone can see any one matchup in.
I disagree, I think it's pretty obvious Canelo has been getting better. Now that he's taken the big fight against GGG we'll see how it goes from there.

I disagree, I think it's pretty obvious Canelo has been getting better. Now that he's taken the big fight against GGG we'll see how it goes from there.
I would agree that Canelo has gotten better from the standpoint of adding a few wrinkles to what he already does well, but I can never agree that one fight out of many should have to define anyone's entire career. Even with a loss to GGG, Canelo is young enough to accomplish great things, it will just take a some more time, and a look in the mirror to see what went wrong, and how to correct it.

Guys move up for big fights and it isn't because they're out of shape. Brook and Khan weren't out of shape . Or Jones, Trinidad, Duran when he beat Leonard. Yeah, Duran sometimes didn't train like he should have but that doesn't mean he was out of shape for every fight the rest of his career.
Ok so which is it? Duran's losses at his "out of prime weight" was because he wasnt good enough or because he wasnt a lightweight anymore? Youre straddling two sides now... youve been using: fighting at WW, SWW amd MW as a crutch for his losses for a month now; but now say guys move up for big fights and its ok... which is what Ive been saying all along. If you move up and lose, theres no excuse for losing other than you werent good enough that night to win, no matter the weightclass. Thank you for validating that.

As far as Floyd not moving up to fight GGG, it doesnt really make a difference. He's moved up just as many weightclasses as Duran. Its like asking why didnt Duran move up and fight the light heavyweight champion after he fought Vinny Paz at SMW....Sometimes you just stop moving up. And Triple G aint no boogeyman.

Last edited:
Yeah, just this one fight won't determine his legacy. We need to see him against the top guys in the future to determine if he's a HOFer or where he stands among the greats.

Ok so which is it? Duran's losses at his "out of prime weight" was because he wasnt good enough or because he wasnt a lightweight anymore? Youre straddling two sides now... youve been using: fighting at WW, SWW amd MW as a crutch for his losses for a month now; but now say guys move up for big fights and its ok... which is what Ive been saying all along. If you move up and lose, theres no excuse for losing other than you werent good enough that night to win, no matter the weightclass. Thank you for validating that.

As far as Floyd not moving up to fight GGG, it doesnt really make a difference. He's moved up just as many weightclasses as Duran. Its like asking why didnt Duran move up and fight the light heavyweight champion after he fought Vinny Paz at SMW....Sometimes you just stop moving up. And Triple G aint no boogeyman.
First of all Floyd didn't fight in as many weight classes as Duran. Even his JMW fight against Canelo wasn't at the limit.

I'm not straddling anything. If you fight bigger men it's a challenge. The smaller guy is at a disadvantage. If the smaller guy overcomes that then he gets extra credit. If the larger guy wins then it was with an advantage.

That's why GGG beating Brook wasn't seen as a tremendous accomplishment. We all said, "Well, that's what happens when a guy jumps 2 weight classes, he gets his face broken." That's why when Duran jumped 2 weight classes to beat Leonard he was lavished so much praise.

First of all Floyd didn't fight in as many weight classes as Duran. Even his JMW fight against Canelo wasn't at the limit.

I'm not straddling anything. If you fight bigger men it's a challenge. The smaller guy is at a disadvantage. If the smaller guy overcomes that then he gets extra credit. If the larger guy wins then it was with an advantage.

That's why GGG beating Brook wasn't seen as a tremendous accomplishment. We all said, "Well, that's what happens when a guy jumps 2 weight classes, he gets his face broken." That's why when Duran jumped 2 weight classes to beat Leonard he was lavished so much praise.
Duran deserves nothing but praise for beating Leonard! No doubt.
But both guys DID, fought and won in 5 different weightclasses. A catchweight doesnt matter, if its over 147lbs and Under 155lbs, regardless its a JMW fight, 152 fight is over WW limit hence JMW. Against Oscar was JMW also and legit 154lb limit. Why did Floyd fight at 152 against Canelo? Because Canelo's team offered to do it without Maywesther's request. Saul even admitted that.

Last edited:
I like Duran a lot, but a think some people are forgetting just how much quicker and offensive Floyd was at lightweight. I personally think Floyd is just too fast and technical, and won't get lured into brawling with Duran, like Leonard did.

I like Duran a lot, but a think some people are forgetting just how much quicker and offensive Floyd was at lightweight. I personally think Floyd is just too fast and technical, and won't get lured into brawling with Duran, like Leonard did.

I always use the Castillo fight as an example that you can get to Floyd (when Floyd was at his absolute best).

Back