Prime (in shape) Duran vs prime "Money" Floyd

Technnically speaking Duran was over 135 when he lost to De Jesus and beat him twice at 135 in championship fights.

No mas dos

For a dream fight for May SRL is the fight I would most want to see as imo SRL would be the only one that could fight at same weight as Floyd an have a legit chance.
Leonard is the guy that would/could beat Floyd stylistically, but not much else. Floyd Maywesther Jr. Is one of the greatest SLW/WW of all time.

Leonard is the guy that would/could beat Floyd stylistically, but not much else. Floyd Maywesther Jr. Is one of the greatest SLW/WW of all time.

Leonard would beat him decisively and hearns would be straight up nightmare for Floyd

i only read the first page of this thread, and i'm with Seano

Duran wouldnt lay a glove on Mayweather, and would get extremely frustrated trying. Fairly easy victory for Mayweather here folks.

You came out of the archaic world again.

Technnically speaking Duran was over 135 when he lost to De Jesus and beat him twice at 135 in championship fights.
What does that really matter though? He still lost to a fresh version of Dejesus and showed the same flaws years later when he fought Benitez.

Hmmmm two fighter that are known for brawling and having power, both moved up weight classes to fight the best. SRL fought Duran and Chino fought Floyd. I would say Chino and Duran actually have a lot of commonalities son. I mean if you actually know your boxing history.
Duran was an ATG, but you are seriously comparing him to Maidana? C'mon! Unless you think Maidana is an ATG. Maybe I mean he did get beat by Khan so he must be really good. Do you think Duran would get beaten by Khan too?

Duran was an ATG, but you are seriously comparing him to Maidana? C'mon! Unless you think Maidana is an ATG. Maybe I mean he did get beat by Khan so he must be really good. Do you think Duran would get beaten by Khan too?

Read through the thread I've already explained it. It was a stylistic comparison not a career comparison. People these days. Not once did I ever say Maidana was as good as Duran. Is that explained simple enough for you??

Read through the thread I've already explained it. It was a stylistic comparison not a career comparison. People these days. Not once did I ever say Maidana was as good as Duran. Is that explained simple enough for you??
Even just stylistically it's a pretty rough comparison. Generally speaking they are pressure fighters and have a good punch. You can fit a lot of guys into that category.

What does that really matter though? He still lost to a fresh version of Dejesus and showed the same flaws years later when he fought Benitez.
No shame losing to Benitez. Great technician. Probably better than Leonard and Hearns.
They both Koed him mostly because of their superior physical attributes IMO.
Benitez is great. What's the last time Floyd defeated or even fought a defensive wizard??

This thread made me feel that Duran is somewhat unappreciated here.
Duran is probably the best technician among the other 3 greats of his time.

He beat Iran Barkley while the much younger Hearns lost to him twice. He got Koed one year before Duran outclass Barkley.

Then, at his 45, was robbed against the 34 years old ATG Camacho. After a few rounds he actually schooled Camacho,
just by using technical savvy and experience.
One year later Leonard gets Koed by the same guy.

Here is a really nice video that highlights various aspects of his techique.

No shame losing to Benitez. Great technician. Probably better than Leonard and Hearns.

He beat Iran Barkley while the much younger Hearns lost to him twice. He got Koed one year before Duran outclass Barkley.

Then, at his 45, was robbed against the 34 years old ATG Camacho. After a few rounds he actually schooled Camacho,

Floyd is a great technician too. Thats why he'd beat Duran.

Duran is not underappreciated. I just recognize him for what he was. A great fighter who didn't match up well with certain types of fighters. Duran was able to outfight a great fighter but he was never really able to outbox one.

I don't even know what's that supposed to mean Seano. We all know he was not an outboxer, so nobody expected him to
outbox anyone.
He was all around skillful though. He had the tools to beat anyone at his best. Floyd is not an exception.
Especially the Floyd who was cornered in the ropes by a diminished De la Hoya.
Is it so weird to think that a guy many times better than Oscar could beat that Floyd?

I don't know why everyone gives Duran such godlike credit. Like Oscar De La Hoya he lost to every great fighter he faced.:D

I don't know why everyone gives Duran such godlike credit. Like Oscar De La Hoya he lost to every great fighter he faced.:D
Its because its a fantasy fight against Mayweather. A lot of boxing fans let emotion cloud their judgement and still don't like Mayweather so he rarely ever wins fantasy fights against other greats in most people's minds. If he had never fought Pacquiao people would still be saying Pac would beat him.

Its because its a fantasy fight against Mayweather. A lot of boxing fans let emotion cloud their judgement and still don't like Mayweather so he rarely ever wins fantasy fights against other greats in most people's minds. If he had never fought Pacquiao people would still be saying Pac would beat him.
Yup, and he should've fought Paul Williams, Antonio Margarito, and Cotto in his prime, and Shane and Oscar and.....and...... but but, He didn't fight Pacuiao at his best in 2009, and he had an injured shoulder anyways.

All bullshit excuses to discredit a guy that won 26 straight Championship Fights, a feat I don't think anyone else has ever done. It's not unreasonable to think he maybe could do the same thing in Duran's era.

Well, De Jesus beat Duran once, but he never beat the fittest Duran at 135 (the thread is about "in shape" Duran). Neither did any of his opponents at this weight. 135 is probably the best fighting weight for Duran against Floyd.

Last edited:
Benitez is great. What's the last time Floyd defeated or even fought a defensive wizard??

Great post I must say ,Ike I said before Duran is being severely underestimated here while people are playing down his opposition while forgetting to do the same for floyds....

Floyd is a great technician too. Thats why he'd beat Duran.

Duran is not underappreciated. I just recognize him for what he was. A great fighter who didn't match up well with certain types of fighters. Duran was able to outfight a great fighter but he was never really able to outbox one.

Well like the other guy said , it's not like Duran was going to go and try to outbox Floyd like a certain someone did (cough cough canelo) . He's going to go in there to try and impose his style, Duran knew how to apply effective pressure which can get to Floyd, I really think Durans left would cause Floyd some issues he threw it from ackward angles a lot of the time. Very very close fight would
Love to see them at their very best

You can't compare their styles without paying attention to what they accomplished. Both are pressure fighters but Duran was much more intelligent with his pressure. And Duran was just more skilled all around. Maidana just relies on brawling, Duran had far more composure in his game. Not a good comparison especially when using it as some barometer of how he'd do against Floyd. He is a much different fighter than Maidana because he was much better all around.

Even just stylistically it's a pretty rough comparison. Generally speaking they are pressure fighters and have a good punch. You can fit a lot of guys into that category.
Right.. Pressure brawlers with power and skill. Only reason
You can't compare their styles without paying attention to what they accomplished. Both are pressure fighters but Duran was much more intelligent with his pressure. And Duran was just more skilled all around. Maidana just relies on brawling, Duran had far more composure in his game. Not a good comparison especially when using it as some barometer of how he'd do against Floyd. He is a much different fighter than Maidana because he was much better all around.

Okay. But again I didn't say they were "exactly alike" just that their styles are similar. I've explained this multiple times.... If you don't like the comparison that's cool. Ill agree to disagree. peace out dude.

Back