Prime (in shape) Duran vs prime "Money" Floyd | Page 10

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Gregoire1, May 5, 2017.

1. JayE Purple Belt

JayE
    I wouldn't pick Mayweather to beat prime Hagler, but I think there is no doubt that he'd give Hagler significant problems.

StickAndMove likes this.
  2. Seano Hands of bone

Seano
    IMO, yes. Marquez, Pacquiao, Hatton, Canelo, Cotto.... His resume is a lot deeper than people say it is.

nastyleft, DeJulez and Jhonni5 like this.
  3. StickAndMove Brown Belt

StickAndMove
    Except they weren't in their prime, and with the exception of Canelo, weren't bigger. Even then he fought below the JMW limit.

4. JayE Purple Belt

JayE
    Marquez wasn't far from his prime, even if he was a smaller man. Hatton was right in the middle of his prime. Cotto wasn't miles away from his prime (his prime can be difficult to locate) and I guarantee he was a fair bit heavier in the ring than Mayweather.

StickAndMove likes this.
  5. Seano Hands of bone

Seano
    Ray had higher peaks, Floyd fought more elite level fighters.

6. RichardSwingslo Black Belt

RichardSwingslo
    He fought some bigger fighters and some better, sure. But he also lost most of those fights and some fights he shouldn't have lost

7. quincy k Blue Belt

quincy k
    ricky hatton was never a 147 and shouldnt even be mentioned. it would be bad enough if the hitman went from 140 to 147 and had never fought there before so his acclimation was still unknown but ricky had already attempted 147 and went life and death with collazo

the same collazo that then lost a complete shutout to mosely in 2007 in which mayweather then gives the green light to fight hatton at the end of the year.

ricky hatton as one of floyds best wins is as bad as jmm when floyd decided to blow off the catchweight essentially fighting a guy two weight classes lower

StickAndMove likes this.
  8. PHATV WHITEBELT

PHATV
    Ends when Duran is so frustrated he quits on his stool.

No mas.

9. StickAndMove Brown Belt

StickAndMove
    I don't think I'd say more elite but that isn't my point. I'm not saying Floyd fought cans, just that most of his big wins were either against smaller guys, or he picked them at the right time.

Honestly I can see your point of view if you don't think size makes any difference. I feel that, especially considering the style matchup, size can be a big factor.

10. StickAndMove Brown Belt

StickAndMove
    Yes that's true but can you honestly say Floyd would have beaten those guys fighting them at those weight classes? If Marquez and Manny were natural WW's I'd rank him a lot higher. They're natural FW's though so Floyd had a big size advantage. He shouldn't get any extra credit if the deck was stacked in his favor.

11. Seano Hands of bone

Seano
    Manny and Marquez are two all time greats who competed more than competently at welter.

Jhonni5 and RichardSwingslo like this.
  12. DeJulez Black Belt

DeJulez
    Pacquiao, Canelo, Cotto, Mosley, Marquez, Hatton, De La Hoya.
    Then you got a good name in Judah, a big win at the time in Diego Corrales.
    An ass beating of Gatti.

Resume is deep.

Victor Ortiz.

13. DeJulez Black Belt

DeJulez
    Mayweather-Hagler would be tough.
    Different weight classes though.
    Mayweather doesn't need to fight Hagler because Duran did it.
    Duran can go fight Klitschko if he wanted to. It still doesn't change the fact that Mayweather would still beat him.

Jhonni5 likes this.
  14. StickAndMove Brown Belt

StickAndMove
    Was Mayweather bigger?

15. nastyleft Brown Belt

nastyleft
    He probably did. I dont think anyone is disputing that Hearns, Hagler Sugar Ray Leonard arent better than the best guy Floyd has fought. the thread is about who would win.and sylistically Duran doesnt match up well.
    And I say it again. Duran lost every fight but one against the big 4 anyways (1-5), so the argument isnt quite as strong as it's perceived to be. Anybody can fight all time greats in their primes and lose. Win a great performance in one (Leonard 1)then get KO'd brutally in another (Hearns), get embarrassed to the point of quitting in the fight then getting schooled again by the same guy (Leonard 2-3), then getting pretty handled in the other. (Hagler). Oh and pretty handled against Benitez as well... Thats what happened.
    And sorry for the argumentative tone.
    Its not intended, just been in a rush lately.

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 11:13 PM
  16. StickAndMove Brown Belt

StickAndMove
    In your opinion, that's not a fact, it's debatable. And Mayweather didn't have to do anything but then don't act like he's the most accomplished. Manny and Marquez get extra credit for doing well against bigger guys. That credit doesn't transfer over to Floyd because he beat them while being the bigger man. If they were Cotto or Canelo sized, and he beat them, then he would get that credit.

17. StickAndMove Brown Belt

StickAndMove
    No worries I know you defend your views passionately. We all have our opinions and mine is that I would not be surprised if those guys beat or even stopped Mayweather over 15 rounds.

18. Oscaraps Brown Belt

Oscaraps
    That's a very strange argument when I can also say lesser pressure fighters got to Floyd . At their absolute best I think marvelous runs through him. Floyd at his best and hagler early in his career maybe I could see him outpointing him. Out of the fab 4 I see Floyd having the best chance against Duran.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM
  19. RichardSwingslo Black Belt

RichardSwingslo
    I understand your view point, again I disagree, but you're obviously not the only person who sees it that way.

I Feel JWW is mannys best weight class and I also think he is a natural JWW.

I know he started all the way down at Christian bale in the machinist weight class, but he was also like 16 years old and broke, from the Philippines so he sold cigarettes for food. The dude was emaciated.

But both did well though.

Also Floyd has to get credit for never having that off night against someone he should beat, and also achieving such a status that fighters would smoke crack to get from LHW to WW for a shot at Floyd.

Jhonni5 likes this.
  20. ironfist05 Silver Belt

ironfist05
    don't forget hernandez or JLC

Jhonni5 and DeJulez like this.