Motorsports thread. Discuss any motorsports here

Ricciardo crashes in Q3 bringing out a red flag with 3:33 left. Hamilton takes the pole from Bottas after the restart. Raikkonen 3rd Vettel 4th Verstappen drops to 5th as he aborts his last lap.

The Indy cars at Road America should be good.

Castroneves on pole with Penske cars taking the first 4 positions at Road America.

Vettel runs into the back of Hamilton during a safety car then comes alongside and turns into the side of Hamilton.

They red flagged the race for debris. The course is narrow and no way to avoid debris.

What a great race. This season, in general, is much better than the couple previous ones.

Vettel was lucky he didn't get disqualified for running into Hamilton like that.
That was some Schumacher style shenanigans right there, absolutely brilliant.

It was like a demolition derby. Perez had to retire because his seat broke? How did his team know that?

I suspect Mercedes will find a better way to hold the bolster in.

Seb should get the black flag imo. They werent going to do anything with lewis in the lead, but now that he dropped back, they may dq him.

If they had given him the penalty after the restart like they should have, he would have been deservedly so, way down the field. FIA. Haha

what a crazy, great race.
unbelievable to me that Vettel would risk damaging his
car with that idiotic hit on Hammy.

happy for Stroll.

Kanaan with a huge off and crash at RA.

Haven't heard any more about any injury either. I switched to the NASCAR race so I didn't see much of the post race. RA is a great place to race. So much run off area, no curbs and a wide track. I particularly like the uphill run to the pits or finish line. No coasting home. I got to run the various tracks with a car and a motorcycle in 1980.

haven't driven any of the tracks outside Cali.
he's ok.

the cup race at sonoma was surprisingly trouble free. the last 90 minutes or so was run without a caution I think. I've driven hundreds of laps on that track so it's fun to watch these guys go at it.

Seb should get the black flag imo. They werent going to do anything with lewis in the lead, but now that he dropped back, they may dq him.

If they had given him the penalty after the restart like they should have, he would have been deservedly so, way down the field. FIA. Haha

I suspect the FIA will at least put Vettel on probation. All the cars were speeding up and slowing down to try to warm their tires and brakes. David Hobbs pointed out that anytime you run into the back of someone, it's your fault. Steve Matchett says that Vettel will have more trouble explaining to Ferrari why he did it.

haven't driven any of the tracks outside Cali.
he's ok.

the cup race at sonoma was surprisingly trouble free. the last 90 minutes or so was run without a caution I think. I've driven hundreds of laps on that track so it's fun to watch these guys go at it.

They did an extremely good job of avoiding cautions. Danica was getting hit from all over. Earnhardt spins out alongside her, crosses the infield and winds up crosswise in front of her. Then he went into the turn too fast and hit Danica spinning her in front of her boyfriend taking him out of the race.

I guess Truex was due for a failure but I was surprised by how badly Kyle Larson fell back. The Stewart Haas teams had their strategy down and got good enough mileage. I thought everyone had learned that you make the last stop as soon as possible. No sense waiting for a caution as you will be behind everyone that stopped under green. If you aren't in position for a top ten in a stage, no sense staying out at a track where you won't lose a lap. You will get past the 10 leaders when they pit.

Harvick drove a masterful race saving the car and fuel.

Didn't understand Larson's seemingly sudden drop either.
With one lap to go, he gave up two positions in 7 without a fight.
from 5th to 7th just like that.

Didn't understand Larson's seemingly sudden drop either.
With one lap to go, he gave up two positions in 7 without a fight.
from 5th to 7th just like that.

Harvick lapped him with a few laps to go so he was a lap down and no need to fight for those positions. He finished 26th.

Vettel has to be very careful now or he could be banned for a race.

It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that the FIA will increase his penalty. There is a lot of talk about the stewards considering black flagging Vettel but went easy to avoid influencing the point championship. They did look at data from the cars and confirmed that Hamilton did not use his brakes or back off the throttle. Hamilton was dropping back from the safety car as he had the previous time. Vettel accelerated into Hamilton then pulled alongside under a safety car which is also a penalty. Polls are running around 80% that the penalty was too lenient.

Vettel was also given three licence penalty points for his actions, taking him to nine. If he receives another three at the next race in Austria on 7-9 July, it would trigger an automatic ban for the British Grand Prix a week later.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40404462

Last edited:
Kyle Busch might lose another crew chief after 2 lug nuts were found loose in post race inspection. His original crew chief still has one week of his suspension left.

Back