Motorsports thread. Discuss any motorsports here

looked pretty cool yesterday when the riders took a partial lap at Spa.

no way Sagan deserves to be DQ'd for that. relegate him from the stage, sure, but no expulsion.
the elbow was a defensive move once he felt Cav right there. it was to distance himself from Cavendish.
if he doesn't do that, then the two riders come together and both crash.
feel really bad for Dekenkalb, who's had a series of bad injuries over the past few years, and the other rider who took a very bad fall.

looked pretty cool yesterday when the riders took a partial lap at Spa.

no way Sagan deserves to be DQ'd for that. relegate him from the stage, sure, but no expulsion.
the elbow was a defensive move once he felt Cav right there. it was to distance himself from Cavendish.
if he doesn't do that, then the two riders come together and both crash.
feel really bad for Dekenkalb, who's had a series of bad injuries over the past few years, and the other rider who took a very bad fall.

He had the elbow out well before Cavendish got there and locked it inside Cavendish's arm which turned Cavendish into him. I'm sure the officials who made the decision know more than I do about the rules. Another rider who was interviewed said the riders were told before the Tour started that any elbow use in a sprint would be heavily penalized. They were told to keep their elbows in and hold their line on the sprints. They are trying to stop the crashes like the riders who went over Cavendish and this will show that they are serious.

Now if they can get the spectators under control. I suppose when they camp for days and it takes a minute for the riders to go by they get a little overly excited.

actually, if you watch a replay in slo mo, it's not even certain his arm even touches Cavendish.
agreed about fans. amazing riders don't get knocked down on certain sections.

Hamilton will get a 5 place grid penalty because Mercedes changed the transmission. The rules are that you can't change the transmission until it has been used for 6 races unless the car didn't finish a race.

It also came out that FIA warned teams prior to Baku that engine oil can't be used as fuel suggesting that some teams were doing just that. Some have been speculating that was why Ferrari weren't as fast as at the start of the season. The announcers were discussing how that could be accomplished. The obvious place to put oil in is at the turbocharger and Ferrari has already used 3 turbochargers in each car. The smoky failures could well be from too much oil going into the compressor side of the turbocharger. I don't know how the FIA tracks the parts.

hm, I'll read the piece on it but I'm not certain how engine oil can be used as fuel in an F1 power unit.
also, found the back and forth between hammy and vettel amusing, if not meaningful.
also watched the replay from baku.
didn't realize vettel not only bumped him but rammed him from the side.
should have been penalized much more.

hm, I'll read the piece on it but I'm not certain how engine oil can be used as fuel in an F1 power unit.
also, found the back and forth between hammy and vettel amusing, if not meaningful.
also watched the replay from baku.
didn't realize vettel not only bumped him but rammed him from the side.
should have been penalized much more.

My guess on the oil is that the most likely way to introduce oil would be to use the oil lubricating the turbocharger bearing. A very small hole would allow it to enter the intake side of the turbocharger where it is blended into the airstream in a fine mist. Oil pressure to the turbocharger could be controlled so the oil would only be injected above a certain pressure. Electronic injection can monitor the oxygen level in the exhaust to maintain the proper mixture.

Vettel's crash into the side of Hamilton's car was the very blatant action that most in the F1 community thought should have disqualified him from the race and some thought should have resulted in another race suspension. Vettel probably thought his car was damaged enough that he would have to stop and wanted to damage Hamilton's car so he would stop too. They were under a safety car at the time so just pulling alongside should have resulted in the 10 second penalty.

Hell of a performance by Truex and his team tonight. Being able to hold on against the other lead lap cars that stopped for tires when Truex had to stay out was masterful. Kyle Larson coming from the back twice to finish second was also a great performance. Keselowski shot his mouth off blaming the car and the rules for his poor performance and crash.

The Indy race at Iowa tomorrow should be interesting.

The F1 race should be very interesting. Hamilton will be starting from 8th on a harder compound tire with a likely one stop strategy that could put him on the softest tires at the end of the race. It might force others into a one stop strategy but the top 12 will be starting on the ultra soft tires and will have to change to a harder compound to meet the regulations.

Interesting F1 race. Bottas with a phenomenal start. The tires are turning out to be too good to accomplish what F1 wanted. Even the softest tires will last more than 1/2 the race when they wanted the softest to only last one third of the race the next harder compound half of the race and the hardest tire about two thirds of the race with teams required to use two different compounds. They have to start on the compound they used in the second round of qualifying. Those that didn't make it into the second round can start on whatever tire they chose. It was thought that the cars that didn't make it to round two would use the hardest tires to run a one stop race and the other cars would split between the softest and the mid range tire. Those running the softest would have run the hardest for their second set or face having to use a third set. The tires last much longer than intended so teams can get by with using the softest tires and the medium tires with one stop . All the leaders were able to finish on one stop although Bottas left rear was in bad shape. With Bottas, Vettel, and Ricciardo with Hamilton in third. Hamilton was setting fastest laps at the end. He got alongside Ricciardo but couldn't pass. Verstappen crashed out early again taking Alonso with him. Raikkonnen was having some kind of trouble.

tire compound/tire choice should not be as big a deciding factor as it is.
but after they eliminated in-race refueling, that is the only variable to
capitalize on now.

Hamilton and Bottas were both doing well in qualifying until the track dried out and Bottas didn't like his car. Like Hamilton last week, he will start even further back without a good qualifying time and losing 5 spots because of a gearbox change. Alonso with a 30 place grid penalty for all of his troubles this season. Ricciardo's car quit on track in Q1and he will probably be changing components and taking penalties. He might not be drinking champagne out of his shoe this week.

Hamilton and Raikonnen on the front row. Vettel and Verstappen will be an interesting second row.

yea, but how about Alonso with the quickest time at the end?
pretty ironic.
he's GOT to switch teams or go to Indy Car.

yea, but how about Alonso with the quickest time at the end?
pretty ironic.
he's GOT to switch teams or go to Indy Car.

Another DNF for Alonso today.

Poor tire strategy for Ferrari as both cars lost tires in the closing laps. They stopped a couple of laps too soon to make it a one stop race. Bottas takes second from a 9th place start.

I wonder what part broke on Logano's car. It looked like they confiscated a trailing arm. They had suspension problem earlier this season that cost them a spot in the playoffs when the win was encumbered. It should be interesting to see what NASCAR finds.

Last edited:
Back