Most overrated former ufc champion of all time

Cain might be the GOAT if we're talking in regards to just how good he actually was, but because of injuries, his accomplishments aren't nearly as great as some of his peers. If we're talking just accomplishments, Tim Sylvia is more accomplished, but does anyone really believe that Cain wouldn't crush Timmy like a stale potato chip?

Saying that Cain isn't better than Timmy is like saying that OJ Simpson wasn't as good as Curtis Martin because his career was shortened by injury.

Anyways, the most overrated former champion has got to be Conor, as I still believe he won 2 belts in fights that he would probably lose in a rematch.

I think Pettis certainly deserves a mention. Because he was out so long and yet remained P4P #1 off winning the title and was considered this unbeatable exciting fighter when in truth, people kind of glossed over the fights he lost and looked bad in.

The 2 worst male champs were easily Serra and Bisping. The most overrated was Renan Barao.

i hate these fucking threads........

Never understood the Cain hype, he was solid but in his prime he lost more than once, not seeing him as the GOAT by any means.

Ronda Rousey

While she was dominate during her reign the amount of hype she got at her peak and then how much she got exposed in a year times showed that she was getting overrated. She mostly had everyone fooled though.

OP with the win
Good HW and looked to have good potential but does not have a career that even comes close to backing up the things people claim about him being GOAT, ATG etc. People genuinely claim it all the time tho.
I think the only interesting point here is that your rational thinking abilities are inferior to most. Cain has demonstrated to having one of the best overall skillsets in HW history and a killer record.

Best cardio in HW except the werdum fight. Great wrestler. Top notch strikier, even incorporating new techniques later on ie spinning back kick vs travis. Decent chin, recovers well.

What more can you say. You are an emotion controlled hater. A puppet to your angst.
wrestling=skill
Cardio=attribute/trainable skill
Chin=attribute

“Top notch strikier” is downright laughable.

Best guy he fought, he got beaten up and submitted by.

Tim Sylvia anyone? Cant believe his name hasn't really been brought up yet.

recent history- maybe forrest griffin. well rounded, but nothing exceptional.

The question is who was the most overrated so I don't think Forrest qualifies there. He's more like one of the biggest underdogs. I doubt many thought Forrest was great. Most people had him for what he was, a hard worker who maximized his potential. I don't think he would have even been favored if Rampage had gotten an immediate rematch.
I think Conor and Rousey have to be the most overrated. Both are good but they were hyped to high heaven. Cain's a good choice too though because he didn't fight enough to prove he deserved all those accolades he got as the best HW ever.

Tim Sylvia anyone? Cant believe his name hasn't really been brought up yet.

Same reason Forrest doesn't qualify. You guys seem to be looking at who you think is the weakest champion in a weight class not who was the most overrated.

Couldn't agree more. TS has a point about his career being short and all that but to me Cain has always seemed like the greatest heavyweight in Mma. When he was fighting at his best the guy seemed unstoppable.
How many guys has this been true for but after facing a few top guys that exposed holes etc looked far more average. It is not an argument for him being the GOAT.

Conor
Ronda
Conor
And Ronda
And then again Conor and Ronda

To joe public- Conor or Rousey

To the hardcore mma community/sherdog- Cain

How many guys has this been true for but after facing a few top guys that exposed holes etc looked far more average. It is not an argument for him being the GOAT.

I agree. Werdum's win over Cain really took him down a notch in my mind. It wasn't like Werdum just happened to catch him in a submission. He was beating Cain up on their feet too. It was such a big upset for many people that they had to create "Sea-Level Cain" and claim the high altitude is what beat him in that fight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back