Mental Toughness tip from Chael Sonnen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's your new av, miaou
tumblr_m6anrdygSq1r8auu7o1_1280.jpg

These are wise words. I've learned over the last year that my training will likely improve the fastest when I face the things that I don't want to do and force myself to do them. Sometimes, that's doing an exercise that I hate (because I'm bad at it); other times, that's assessing my technique and being open to change. I've found that the lifters who are willing to confront their flaws, rather than make excuses for them, tend to be the lifters that make the most progress.

Here's your new av, miaou
gaywwfdude.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Son, this is what I think when I read "mr perfect":

[MEDIA=youtube]EAdOISnvyVk[/MEDIA]

How he lost to bob sapp is a mystery to me

Sapp was a pretty intimidating and powerful guy, who was still actively TRYING at that point, and the blueprint to beating him hadn't been established yet. That would be my reasoning. Heck, I remember reading Nog saying some time ago the original plan was to go in and box Bob, but when he got in the ring he just though 'F**k this!' and dove for a leg from way to far out.

Funnily enough, the unfriendly ghost has actually been a pretty good example of what NOT being mentally tough is all about. Getting unnecessarily angry, responding without thinking, rushing through, letting others control/lead you, ect.

Chael just going after Anderson in the first fight was a good sign of how he was 'mentally tough', as he was not, or at least did not act, intimidated by Anderson the way so many of his other opponents have been. Going right after him, moving forward, throwing punches to set up shots, ect, round after round. Probably the best example I can think of a challenger being the complete agressor against a long time and dominant champion.

That being said, although Sonnen's pro-wrestling gimmick is kind of funny, I'm not really a fan, but my opinion of his personality or character is neither here nor there in this discussion.

Lol at some nobody on Sherdog claiming a top level fighter (or really any pro) isn't tough.

I don't have to prove anything to you eric and I am entitled to whatever opinion I have of Chael sonnen. You are a geezlong old man calling people "punk asses" over the Internet. What the hell have you done by the way?

Rofl, this shit again.

What thread was the most mentally tough poster on Sherdog's meltdown in?

This one.

Potentially one of the worst-defended arguments I've seen here in a long time. It takes a lot more than just being tough to win against two of the best opponents in the whole sport.

I don't think Chael has what it takes to take the belt. But he's a tough fighter, for sure.

Mmmmm.... you realize it's a metaphor, right? When someone understands something, and they say "I see", that's a metaphor, they don't literally see something with their eyes. When someone says "my life is moving in the right direction" that's a metaphor too- your life is not an object moving through space. English is just bursting to the seams with phrases that don't literally apply (see what I did there?) but which people understand anyway.

I do realize it's a metaphor but my argument is that "toughness" is a misleading word to describe the concept.

In my opinion is more about maintaining calm, peace and focus in your mind while under significant duress so that you can achieve your aim, rather than gritting your teeth and putting your war face on, which the word toughness implies.

I do realize it's a metaphor but my argument is that "toughness" is a misleading word to describe the concept.

In my opinion is more about maintaining calm, peace and focus in your mind while under significant duress so that you can achieve your aim, rather than gritting your teeth and putting your war face on, which the word toughness implies.

Well, actually you have two arguments. The first was "toughness is a physical quality, it can't apply to anything mental". That is got rid of by pointing out that it is a metaphor, like much of what we say.

The second argument is something like "'toughness" is about resisting or not breaking, but actually people who are 'mentally tough' don't so much 'not break' as 'tune things out'". Personally I have no idea, but I would presume that different people achieve mental toughness in different ways- maybe some as you describe, maybe some by just not giving in, maybe some through some other methods. I am not sure how you can say that it has to be the "tuning things out" method. And anyway, even if it is and you were right, people understand the term and use it all the time so evidently it is fine. The fact that literally it would be a somewhat misleading is neither here nor there really- part of the point of metaphors is that they are literally misleading. But they are still perfectly good parts of the language.

... different people achieve mental toughness in different ways ...

This is really what I am interested in.

In the OP according to chael it comes from inconveniencing yourself so you get some sense of entitlement to victory and its harder for you to give in. I say its to do with training the mind to keep peace, calm, focus and clarity when the circumstances erode such things.
I think both are correct to an extent, and there must be other ideas not put forward here yet, and I want to know what they are. Also im referring to mental toughness not necessarily in the context of MMA

This thread is truly cringe-inducing. I hope he doesn't get banned, his posts are too unintentionally funny.

I really think this is one of the stupidest arguments I've read since joining Sherdog.

On the other hand, I could care less who made this quote. It's actually really inspiring, I just took a screenshot of it.

This thread epitomizes the worst of Sherdog. Someone who is incapable of properly typing three consecutive words has the gall to say that someone who has fought the greatest fighters of this generation (maybe of all time) and has been competing at an extremely high level his entire life isn't fit to dish out advice on mental toughness.

I could care less who made this quote.

Couldn't. You could not care less. Saying you could care less means that you could care less than you do now, meaning you care now. If you mean you dont care who said it say you couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back