Mental Toughness tip from Chael Sonnen

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepfighting**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Chael on building mental toughness:

To build mental toughness you have to inconvenience yourself:
The early morning runs, if you hate early morning. The late night runs, if you hate late night.
The snowy, cold, the worst conditions you can get, put yourself in those and really make it inconvenient, and you start to get a genuine expectation of winning for the price you had to pay.

Chael Sonnen on mental toughness

Sonnen is a fairly solid wrestler and a professional fighter who has fought on the world class level for championships multiple times. If you don't think he has mental toughness, I don't really know what to say, other than you must be a real bad ass.

Sonnen is a fairly solid wrestler and a professional fighter who has fought on the world class level for championships multiple times. If you don't think he has mental toughness, I don't really know what to say, other than you must be a real bad ass.

He's posted 462 times on Sherdog. What more do you want?

when is the last time sonnen has won a fight or even looked decent in a fight

I see casperthegst is back from his self-imposed exile and still a BAMF.

I don't get sonnen hate. He's number 2 MW quite decisively.

I think the term "mental toughness" is misleading. Toughness implies a gritty strength or durability or something, like a physical trait but the mind is not a physical thing so how can it be "tough"?

For me it's more about the ability of the mind to turn down the "noise" coming from your body when you're reaching your limits, to allow your mind to be like a still pond even when the storm of fatigue and pain is howling in on it, so that you can maintain focus and composure and continue forward. Sort of like a mental numbness, rather than toughness, if you get what I mean.

Just my opinion..

I think the term "mental toughness" is misleading. Toughness implies a gritty strength or durability or something, like a physical trait but the mind is not a physical thing so how can it be "tough"?

For me it's more about the ability of the mind to turn down the "noise" coming from your body when you're reaching your limits, to allow your mind to be like a still pond even when the storm of fatigue and pain is howling in on it, so that you can maintain focus and composure and continue forward. Sort of like a mental numbness, rather than toughness, if you get what I mean.

Just my opinion..

So let me understand this: you are mislead by the term 'tough' when it involves mental toughness, but it makes much more sense to you to 'turn down body noise when you reach your limit'.

LOL

Just my opinion..

I bet you'd be a blast at parties.

Mental meltdown my ass I stand by everything I said and I'm not wavering from that believe what you wish......Chanel sonnet and mental toughness is an oxymoron the guy can't shut his mouth and doesn't back anything up he says that's fact

And I quote "if I don't beat Anderson silva I will leave the UFC forever"-Chanel sonnen

And here we are a long time later still watching him run his mouth and lose fights

Meh, don't really care too much 'bout what chael has to say on the subject... would rather listen to kroczaleski talk about it instead lol. That dude's insane.

Mmmmm.... you realize it's a metaphor, right? When someone understands something, and they say "I see", that's a metaphor, they don't literally see something with their eyes. When someone says "my life is moving in the right direction" that's a metaphor too- your life is not an object moving through space. English is just bursting to the seams with phrases that don't literally apply (see what I did there?) but which people understand anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back