MayMac did 4.4 million PPV buys

It'd be interesting to see an accurate pie chart of the total. This article was estimating $110 million for Conor based on 8.4 million PPV total worldwide that the organizers were using to lure sponsors.

https://www.mmamania.com/2017/8/21/...rses-split-money-ppv-buys-showtime-boxing-ufc

Thanks for that
Nash is a legit MMA business reporter so thats a credible link

I never heard this part:
Dave Meltzer revealed that event organizers were peddling an astronomical number to potential sponsors that was closer to 8.4 million (7 million buys in the United States and 1.4 million abroad).

Great link man

@ThePeoplesMMA - Check out that link from @Buster C - Its good stuff. Nash is the only other biz reporter I trust along with Dave.
Others can get stuff right, but Dave & him break things down & are still the only two sources for UFC's yearly filings.

Last edited:
Explain how he's the a side when his last ppv did like 300k? Lmao. Lemme know when a conor ppv does less than a million chump
It doesn't really matter what his last one did, he is still the A side.

It's simple really. The one who gets paid the 350 mil is the A side.

Conor may well be more popular. He was still the B side in this fight. Again, 350 mil A side, 110 mil B side.

Thanks for that
Nash is a legit MMA business reporter so thats a credible link

I never heard this part:
Dave Meltzer revealed that event organizers were peddling an astronomical number to potential sponsors that was closer to 8.4 million (7 million buys in the United States and 1.4 million abroad).

Great link man

@ThePeoplesMMA - Check out that link from @Buster C - Its good stuff. Nash is the only other biz reporter I trust along with Dave.
Others can get stuff right, but Dave & him break things down & are still the only two sources for UFC's yearly filings.
Man, I'm surprised that I gave you some info for a change -- I usually just read your posts to find out PPV numbers, etc.

But the point is that reported PPVs are likely overestimated, since all sources would have good incentive to overstate their PPV numbers (until they do their taxes.) I'm guessing that Conor made closer to $60 million, if the proportions in that article are correct, instead of the $100 million number that's been floating around.

Man, I'm surprised that I gave you some info for a change -- I usually just read your posts to find out PPV numbers, etc.

But the point is that reported PPVs are likely overestimated, since all sources would have good incentive to overstate their PPV numbers (until they do their taxes.) I'm guessing that Conor made closer to $60 million, if the proportions in that article are correct, instead of the $100 million number that's been floating around.

Thank you & we all learn from each other
Well the non trolls & nitwits do

But as far as reported numbers:
Showtime reports exact numbers
Pretty much all of MMA's come from Meltzer & like I mentioned ITT, he had said 3-4 weeks ago that the early NA numbers were trending at the low to mid 4m range.
Next day Espinoza & SHO said the same
So that & his history with WWE show he is in the ballpark

Regarding Conor's final take
I "think" you are confusing the 7m buy thing
That was only to advertisers.
So that adjustment (if true) would only be a few million in total

Thank you & we all learn from each other
Well the non trolls & nitwits do

But as far as reported numbers:
Showtime reports exact numbers
Pretty much all of MMA's come from Meltzer & like I mentioned ITT, he had said 3-4 weeks ago that the early NA numbers were trending at the low to mid 4m range.
Next day Espinoza & SHO said the same
So that & his history with WWE show he is in the ballpark

Regarding Conor's final take
I "think" you are confusing the 7m buy thing
That was only to advertisers.
So that adjustment (if true) would only be a few million in total
It just seemed like everyone was saying Conor would make $100 million. I was hoping he wouldn't get that much, because if so, he wouldn't be likely to fight in the UFC again. And I like seeing him fight, even though I root for him to get KTFO.

Did a lot better than I expected, I thought around 3 million, I knew people would be dumb and fall for it all, but I thought enough will see it for what it is!.

Did a lot better than I expected, I thought around 3 million, I knew people would be dumb and fall for it all, but I thought enough will see it for what it is!.

I hear that, but you need to remember that PPV's are rarely singular purchases.
It was an event & an excuse to have friends over to party, etc.

It just seemed like everyone was saying Conor would make $100 million. I was hoping he wouldn't get that much, because if so, he wouldn't be likely to fight in the UFC again. And I like seeing him fight, even though I root for him to get KTFO.

By all accounts he made $100m+
But I definitely see him back in UFC

By all accounts he made $100m+
But I definitely see him back in UFC
$60 million seemed like a reasonable estimate -- if the article's source was reliable and projected $110 million for Conor at 8.4 million buys. But good for him if he made 100, as long as he comes back.

$60 million seemed like a reasonable estimate -- if the article's source was reliable and projected $110 million for Conor at 8.4 million buys. But good for him if he made 100, as long as he comes back.

Like I mentioned, you are confusing that figure
That 7-8.4m buys was not for his take
It was for sponsors as an estimate
Sponsorship was $28m total
So even if they adjusted it down it would only be a few million

Edit: I know its confusing. I just know what to look for on these things.

Last edited:
Mayweather didn't call out and challenge Conor to a mma fight.

By screwing over I think the guy meant you gave Mayweather his easiest payday over. He made at least 3x if not 4x the amount of money the UFC/McGregor to box an amateur boxer for his 50th win and he didn't have to promote.

That was a huge reason Mayweather said he accepted the fight. He didn't have to sell the fight by himself which he usually has to do. He put McGregor, the UFC platform and general word of mouth do it for him.

And the ski he wore during his walk out was to symbolize he was robbing all the McGregor fans of their money FYI. You think he just randomly wears out ski masks to a fight?

they both went on a major city tour...what do you mean mayweather didn't promote...and many judges had the fight even going into the 10th round. you can talk all you want about how easy the fight was...but conor took the first 4 rounds, according to pretty much every mma website...so the fight was pretty dam close...when conor started to slow, lose steam on his punches, that is when floyd came on...

It doesn't really matter what his last one did, he is still the A side.

It's simple really. The one who gets paid the 350 mil is the A side.

Conor may well be more popular. He was still the B side in this fight. Again, 350 mil A side, 110 mil B side.
You don't even understand the terms you're using. The A side is the one that brings in the money and the viewers. That is Conor.

Like I mentioned, you are confusing that figure
That 7-8.4m buys was not for his take
It was for sponsors as an estimate
Sponsorship was $28m total
So even if they adjusted it down it would only be a few million

OK. The article said 8.4 million was projected, and I get that it was to sell more ads and at a higher price. But somehow they calculated $110 million for Conor, assuming the 8.4 was reached:

And if those lofty projections are indeed reached and/or eclipsed, Mayweather ($350 million), McGregor ($110 million) and UFC ($50 million) would be rolling in cash.

I don't mean to nitpick, but I wonder how others are getting the $100 million number for Conor. And I hope the UFC isn't shooting their own foot by helping their star realize that he's outgrown them, because boxing pays him so much more.

OK. The article said 8.4 million was projected, and I get that it was to sell more ads and at a higher price. But somehow they calculated $110 million for Conor, assuming the 8.4 was reached:

And if those lofty projections are indeed reached and/or eclipsed, Mayweather ($350 million), McGregor ($110 million) and UFC ($50 million) would be rolling in cash.

I don't mean to nitpick, but I wonder how others are getting the $100 million number for Conor. And I hope the UFC isn't shooting their own foot by helping their star realize that he's outgrown them, because boxing pays him so much more.

Again the 8.4 was ONLY for advertisers
The whole sponsorship was $28m

The actual PPV estimates were:
Conservative (inter) national estimates range from 3.4 million to 5.3

So the over-all goal was surpassed that total with about 5.8-6m buys total

Again the 8.4 was ONLY for advertisers

The whole sponsorship was $28m

The actual PPV estimates were:

So the over-all goal was surpassed that total with about 5.8-6m buys total
That’s more than $160 million before the most lucrative revenue stream, PPV, is factored into the equation. Conservative (inter) national estimates range from 3.4 million to 5.3 (Mayweather vs. Pacquiao), while Dave Meltzer revealed that event organizers were peddling an astronomical number to potential sponsors that was closer to 8.4 million (7 million buys in the United States and 1.4 million abroad). That would push the PPV haul over the $700 million mark.

I assumed the "lofty projections" that they'd need to reach for Conor to get $110 million was the "astronomical" number of 8.4 million, while you assumed it was the "conservative" estimate of 5.3. (I can tell you're a Conor fan.;)) But this reinforces my point that nobody seems to be sure how reports arrived at the $100 million number.

I explained it to you about three times
This is 4th
It clearly states the PPV estimates were 3.4-5.3m

The numbers that sponsors were promised in return for their combined $28m were the 7-8.4m

This isn't assumption & I'm not a big Conor fan (I rooted for Diaz in Diaz II)
Its wording & business 101

I also follow this pretty closely & know what PPV projections were & they were discussed here in numerous threads
Well, you don't have to get all pissy, I was only joking about a Conor bias. Yes, you "explained" it, but you made the assumption that the projection of $110 million for Conor was based on the conservative estimate of 5.3, while I assumed that they meant 8.4, and you can't clarify it. You seem to have ignored that.

Anyway, I don't follow the finances as closely as you do. But my original question stands. How does Conor get to $100 million? Nobody that reported it seems to be able to support it, and I rarely take anybody's word for anything, especially in an MMA article.

You don't even understand the terms you're using. The A side is the one that brings in the money and the viewers. That is Conor.
Lol first I've heard thanks.

I've always thought the A side is the one that dictates terms, split, glove size and so on. Which is May.

Seems stupid to call yourself the A side and then take less money. So he brings in all the money. All the viewers and then takes the least money. Makes sense lol.

Sorry mate you have it wrong. Some will argue with you about who is more popular, I won't. It's Conor. But Mayweather is still A side.

Tbh thinking he is the A side is as bad as some of the other guys saying he won lol.

Yeah because its not like Floyd has the #1, #2, #3 and #4 highest selling PPVs of all time or anything.

Conor agreed he was the B side when he took a fraction of the purse that Floyd did. Floyd was undeniably the A-Side

Yeah because its not like Floyd has the #1, #2, #3 and #4 highest selling PPVs of all time or anything.

Conor agreed he was the B side when he took a fraction of the purse that Floyd did. Floyd was undeniably the A-Side
Its unreal that people actually think he is the A side lol.

Back