MayMac did 4.4 million PPV buys

Explain how he's the a side when his last ppv did like 300k? Lmao. Lemme know when a conor ppv does less than a million chump

Well it wasn't 300k, but you knew that. Take away the UFC, the undercard filled with known fighters. Have Conor self promote a fight vs someone no one knows and see what his PPV sales look like. Floyd has 3 PPVs over 2 million without Conor. Conor has never come close to 2 mill without Floyd. Floyd is the proven mega draw, not Conor

And while still impressive, didn't it come out that Conors 1.6 mill PPV buys was actually 1.2 mill? HALF of what Floyd did vs Oscar and Canelo and 4 times less then Floyds best PPV?

Last edited:
Its unreal that people actually think he is the A side lol.

Popularity doesn't make you the A-side. Floyd is pretty hated. The Money and viewers you bring in makes you the A-side, and Floyd has always brought in way more money then Conor and he has proven he can draw more viewers then anyone in PPV history

I still think with the refunds it will eventually be recorded as a high 3, low 4. Still a tremendous number though. If it did over 4 that is insane considering how little promotion and buildup it had vs Floyd/Pacman. They should have let this fight build over a year instead of a summer.

Thanks for that
Nash is a legit MMA business reporter so thats a credible link

I never heard this part:
Dave Meltzer revealed that event organizers were peddling an astronomical number to potential sponsors that was closer to 8.4 million (7 million buys in the United States and 1.4 million abroad).

Great link man

@ThePeoplesMMA - Check out that link from @Buster C - Its good stuff. Nash is the only other biz reporter I trust along with Dave.
Others can get stuff right, but Dave & him break things down & are still the only two sources for UFC's yearly filings.
Dave is a massive UFC mark. I'm not discounting him as a source but he slobs all over Dana's knob. He ad libs (see, bullshits) a lot. Not 100% of the time but he tends to fill-in-the-blank if he doesn't know something. Good example is when Jones tested positive for steroids. A bunch of misinformation about Tbol, saying the UFC "has to strip" the title (the title is a trophy and not a title, as argued by the UFC in court in the Penn case). I like meltzer and follow him but....grain of salt.

Meltzer said 70/30 split was the deal for this event with 30% going to PPV companies
Seems like UFC got 30-33% of Conor's money.
Is that usual for the PPV company to get just 30%, thought they always got at least 40% for the events.

1. That figure is not confirmed, but is in the range both Meltzer & SHO said it was looking for North America

2. It will be 6m worldwide. It broke records over-seas bc off Conor & blew past MayPac
No it didn't.
The 6m ppv number from Dana was completely made up.
You don't know what May-Pac sold overseas.

No it didn't.
The 6m ppv number from Dana was completely made up.
You don't know what May-Pac sold overseas.

Oh yeah?
I follow these things very close
& ....
The provider themselves gave the figures

SKY SPORTS today told Boxing News that the Mayweather-McGregor event achieved in excess of 1m buys, and has broken the record set in April by Anthony Joshua’s titanic victory over Wladimir Klitschko. It also trumps the UK audience for Mayweather’s 2015 showdown with Manny Pacquiao.

But I guess your insight is better than the actual PPV provider?

@ThePeoplesMMA (if you want this info)

Last edited:
Is that usual for the PPV company to get just 30%, thought they always got at least 40% for the events.

Yes on both
But MayMac due to the expectations was able to negotiate a different deal for this event

In the 90's it was largely a 60/40 split with providers taking 60%
Then when UFC was banned & had to get back on PPV it was under 40% because providers had the upper-hand
It moved towards 50% when UFC got big & esp. when WWE stopped doing big numbers & then the network & some are 55% to UFC now supposedly

WHY does anyone CARE

Four reasons
1. Haters want it to fail
2. Fans want it to succeed
3. Business metrics are very important to why things get done in MMA (matchups, etc.)
4. It is the age of info

On an event like this it will be magnified because it was a Super Bowl level event.

Look at Movies & TV. Both genres report ratings & box office to fans constantly. People find it interesting to see what the public consumes.

Four reasons
1. Haters want it to fail
2. Fans want it to succeed
3. Business metrics are very important to why things get done in MMA (matchups, etc.)
4. It is the age of info

On an event like this it will be magnified because it was a Super Bowl level event.

Look at Movies & TV. Both genres report ratings & box office to fans constantly. People find it interesting to see what the public consumes.
I think it's much simpler.
People who obsess over millionaires making more millions.
There's a bizarre fascination with it.
It ends up putting a ridiculous fight like McGregor's most recent embarrassment in front of eyes that deserved more for their money.

It ends up putting a ridiculous fight like McGregor's most recent embarrassment in front of eyes that deserved more for their money.

If you had you own answer ready then why ask? lol
;)

I don't obsess over millionaires making money. I find creative decisions based on business metrics fascinating, but not for that reason. MMA because of its structure of having no "scheduled season" relies on metrics more than any other sport.
As far as your simpler reason, if you don't think people wanted this fight to fail & that is why they care, then you did not read this thread or a lot of the board.
Look at the daily UFC IS DYING threads that pop up. A lot of the post are directly related to wanting UFC to fail & then when they get counter-point with real numbers, they get mad that it is not dying.
I mean look at the TS.
He was happy he thought MayMac did less than MayPac & then when he found out it did more worldwide, he said "that doesn't count" lol

You been on here enough to see that buddy

If you had you own answer ready then why ask? lol
;)

I don't obsess over millionaires making money. I find creative decisions based on business metrics fascinating, but not for that reason. MMA because of its structure of having no "scheduled season" relies on metrics more than any other sport.
As far as your simpler reason, if you don't think people wanted this fight to fail & that is why they care, then you did not read this thread or a lot of the board.
Look at the daily UFC IS DYING threads that pop up. A lot of the post are directly related to wanting UFC to fail & then when they get counter-point with real numbers, they get mad that it is not dying.
I mean look at the TS.
He was happy he thought MayMac did less than MayPac & then when he found out it did more worldwide, he said "that doesn't count" lol

You been on here enough to see that buddy
I don't question YOUR motivations, good sir.
Just the casuals, only the casuals.
And hey, admittedly, I talk a lotta shit here, but it's mostly just rattling cages

I don't question YOUR motivations, good sir.
Just the casuals, only the casuals.
And hey, admittedly, I talk a lotta shit here, but it's mostly just rattling cages

We are always good. You know that.
I am just being cerebral in response to your cage rattling lol

That's rich, coming from someone who spends a great deal of time on sherdog obsessing over the multimillionaire known as Conor Anthony McGregor.

I still think with the refunds it will eventually be recorded as a high 3, low 4. Still a tremendous number though. If it did over 4 that is insane considering how little promotion and buildup it had vs Floyd/Pacman. They should have let this fight build over a year instead of a summer.

Honestly I expected it to do more than Floyd Vs Pacquiao. This is a casual's dream fight. A huge crossover event, with the ignorant casual masses somehow believing the mouthy Irishman would KO Floyd. Plus of course two fanbases instead of one. That alone should have netted it more.

Put it this way, I know people who ordered this fight, who have barely seen a boxing or MMA fight in their lives. That's how much it permeated the casual audience. The same can't be said for Floyd - Pacquiao, not in my experience anyway.

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-mcgregor-expected-come-44-million-ppv-buys--120861

Far cry from the 6 mil buys that Dana and Floyd were predicting. This would be lower than MayPac.
So it looks as if Mayweather vs. McGregor will have to settle for second place in terms of gate revenue and US-based pay-per-view buys, but it was still an enormous financial success that destroys every other combat sports event except Mayweather vs. Pacquiao.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/9/...egor-did-4-4-million-domestic-ppv-buys-boxing

Back