Marvel's IRON FIST (March 17, 2017)

If you have seen the complete season 1 of IRON FIST, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I'm halfway through and it's getting boring.

Same here. Average acting, bad action, by far the worse of the Netflix shows. Danny Rand is not a likable character. I'll stick it out (due to my inner nerd), but it's not been enjoyable.

I really hate this quick cuts editing style of fighting

I watched the show in three chunks over the weekend. I would put it squarely at a 5/10. It’s not the unmitigated disaster the reviews made it out to be, but I wouldn’t go as far as calling it good.

I can confidently say that this show’s problems begin and end with the casting of Finn Jones. And the reason is, in my opinion, that they went around looking for someone to play Danny Rand, but not the Iron Fist.

Jones does an OK job with all the scenes that don’t involve Rand’s Iron Fist aspect. The naïve newcomer, the emotionally stunted man-child, the easily manipulated idiot, the privileged asshole who doesn’t realize he is acting like a privileged asshole… Jones plays all these things as well as you could expect given the script.

But every time the martial arts aspect comes up he sucks. As has been repeated ad nauseam in this thread, it is pretty clear Finn Jones didn’t see the inside of a gym at all between his casting and filming. People have certain expectation when it comes to superheroes, and while I don’t think those expectations went as far as Chris-Evans-as-Captain-America, they were expecting some definition. One would imagine Jones would’ve learned his lesson after all the crap he took during the first season of Game of Thrones, when everyone was giving him shit because all the Northern characters were showing off six-packs while Ser Loras didn’t appear to have enough muscle to walk around in plate armor, let alone fight in it.

Another thing that played against him was that ridiculous beard. It made him look like a little kid playing dress up at being an adult. Jones is baby faced and making him grow out that beard only called out more attention to the fact.

Even if we look past his physique, the dude looked fake as shit every time he was in a fight scene. It was made even worse by the fact that Jessica Henwick so obviously took the training more seriously than him. She obviously didn’t do all her own stunts, but she sure as shit did a greater percentage of them than Finn. Look at both their fights, and pay attention to when you can see their faces in the frame, that’s how you can tell.

As for the other aspects of the show, I was pleasantly surprised by the dude playing Ward Meachum, whose name eludes me right now. That dude did a terrific job selling the fact that Ward was the universe’s punching bag. I mean, Ward is an asshole, but you still end up feeling sorry for the poor bastard.

Plot-wise, I wonder how they’ll proceed going forward into The Defenders

Daredevil and Iron Fist share the Hand as adversaries, but they’ve had nothing to do with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

Does this mean that they’re going to have to waste precious episodes establishing a reason for Jessica and Luke to risk their necks getting involved? I mean, I could see Luke getting involved purely for Claire’s sake, but why would Jessica do it?

She is also the most reluctant to go in for the superhero shit. Picking a fight with an army of ninjas sounds like the last thing that would cross her mind.
tumblr_lp94rnFP461qdezf9o1_400_zpsxmjqfw1n.gif

But every time the martial arts aspect comes up he sucks. As has been repeated ad nauseam in this thread, it is pretty clear Finn Jones didn’t see the inside of a gym at all between his casting and filming. People have certain expectation when it comes to superheroes, and while I don’t think those expectations went as far as Chris-Evans-as-Captain-America, they were expecting some definition. One would imagine Jones would’ve learned his lesson after all the crap he took during the first season of Game of Thrones, when everyone was giving him shit because all the Northern characters were showing off six-packs while Ser Loras didn’t appear to have enough muscle to walk around in plate armor, let alone fight in it.
I saw a an ig post citing Finn that claimed he trained up to 4 hours a day martial arts and weight training. He purposely wanted to look like this. That's right, Finn Jones is so fucking DYEL that he had to have a grueling training regiment just to get the skinny stoner look.

I guess Danny and Daredvil will have a meet up and through Claire get to Cage who gets to Jessica by promising her more BBC action

I saw a an ig post citing Finn that claimed he trained up to 4 hours a day martial arts and weight training. He purposely wanted to look like this. That's right, Finn Jones is so fucking DYEL that he had to have a grueling training regiment just to get the skinny stoner look.
XdRonKH_zpskwylwiky.gif

Nah... I don't give a shit what he says. He doesn't even lift.

Episode 2 in the mental hospital is worse than episode 1 going to be very hard to finish this.

I'm three episodes in and I can't get over the fact that this hipster stoner that has been doing wushu in Kunlun his his whole life all of a sudden thinks he is capable of running a billion dollar enterprise. Take the money and move on dumb fuck.

Also the broad playing that douchey businessman's sister CANNOT ACT.

I'll see if I can complete this or give up like with Luke Cage.

Episode 2 in the mental hospital is worse than episode 1 going to be very hard to finish this.
I like how he gets tied to the bed for fighting then they just walk away with the door opened to the rest of the patients. He gets set free with no repercussions.

Guess I'm in the minority, I'm on episode 5 and am enjoying it. Nowhere near as bad as reviews made it out to be.

IAlso the broad playing that douchey businessman's sister CANNOT ACT.
LOL you kidding? She's not the only one.

Basically the only good acting came from the guests Carrie Ann Moss and Rosario Dawson. When they aren't there it feels like a chore to watch.

I recently watched a review for this show that was more entertaining than the actual show. One of the reviewers even said that you could watch the first episode, then the last episode, and not miss a single worthwhile thing from in between the two.

I guess Danny and Daredvil will have a meet up and through Claire get to Cage who gets to Jessica by promising her more BBC action

I read that there was a typo in Finn's contract so instead of practicing martial arts he was painting portraits of marriage counselors.

I recently watched a review for this show that was more entertaining than the actual show. One of the reviewers even said that you could watch the first episode, then the last episode, and not miss a single worthwhile thing from in between the two.
I read that there was a typo in Finn's contract so instead of practicing martial arts he was painting portraits of marriage counselors.
QONVIyz.gif

Thought you weren't interested? Or are you just looking to argue with someone?

No matter what I post you're just going to say "nuh uh" so I'm going to save myself the time here.

I'm interested in good reasons why Iron Fist should have cast an Asian as Iron Fist. That link wasn't really relevant to the show. He wasn't a white savior figure saving people of color from some plight. The people of K'un-Lun didn't have any plight, and Danny abandoned his post to protect them anyways. The show basically became about him trying to find out who was responsible for the plane crash from 15 years ago. I guess you need an Asian for that?

I don't blindly say, "nuh uh", but if you don't have a relevant point, then I guess we are done.

I don't get why Ward was so miserable. His father was the one who was imprisoned, couldn't leave, was kept in line by the Hand, and had to keep his life a secret from everyone aside from his son and some goons while Ward could go on vacations, slay bitches from around the globe, party it up, take up hobbies, or do whatever. Harold couldn't even talk to his daughter or really even go outside, but he seemed far more happy than Ward, who was free to enjoy life if he chose.

Colleen does it for me. Mixed girls are where its at. All you "the white race is dying" losers can go fuck yourselves...literally.

I'm interested in good reasons why Iron Fist should have cast an Asian as Iron Fist. That link wasn't really relevant to the show. He wasn't a white savior figure saving people of color from some plight. The people of K'un-Lun didn't have any plight, and Danny abandoned his post to protect them anyways. The show basically became about him trying to find out who was responsible for the plane crash from 15 years ago. I guess you need an Asian for that?

I don't blindly say, "nuh uh", but if you don't have a relevant point, then I guess we are done.

People get too butthurt about this topic, but Iron Fist is a comic book character who probably should have been asian in the first place. Everything from his training to his costume to his fighting style attests to that, but the social climate when his character was created was dominated by white characters. Minority characters were very few and far between. A lot of people were saying that the TV show was a chance to "make it right." I don't think it's a big deal, but I think the people who are getting so upset about other people getting upset are the most ridiculous for being so unaware of the social context of the past.

Think of it this way, imagine Iron Fist had originally been a white character who was raised by a mystical tribe in africa. Imagine there being a TV show about that in the modern day and how awkward it would be to see a white guy acting like Black Panther.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back