Marvel's IRON FIST (March 17, 2017) | Page 34

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Nov 7, 2013.

?

If you have seen the complete season 1 of IRON FIST, how would you rate it?

1. 10 - Excellent

1.9%
  2. 9 - Great

1.0%
  3. 8 - Good

21.4%
  4. 7 - Pretty Good

22.3%
  5. 6 - Decent

20.4%
  6. 5 - Average

10.7%
  7. 4 - Poor

9.7%
  8. 3 - Bad

3.9%
  9. 2 - Terribad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Abysmal

2.9%
  11. Have not finished season one but I did not like it and won't be continuing

5.8%
  1. Dr Curtis Love Orange Belt

Dr Curtis Love
    It did drive me nuts everytime Claire told IF he can't handle the hand alone, but then didn't offer an alternative. Bitch, you have Dare Devil on speed dial. Call that fool for help!

2. ChillyPalmer The One True King

ChillyPalmer
    Dude is in a dark place after the events of season 2.

Also, I have no fucking idea how the timelines work in this universe.

3. ChillyPalmer The One True King

ChillyPalmer
    Probably have the Hand involved with that weird company that took care of her after her parents accident, and gave Luke his abilities.

Ikuza likes this.
  4. Dr Curtis Love Orange Belt

Dr Curtis Love
    That's true

5. CO68 Silver Belt

CO68
    I'm aware that IF was created at the height of the martial arts craze. But, there's nothing that says he has to be Asian. Fighting style? Should they cast a Japanese woman to play Ronda Rousey if they ever make a biopic about her? 99% of the show is set in New York. Anyone of any color, race, creed, nationality, etc... could have crashed in the Himalayas and ended up in K'un-Lun. Anyone can learn kung fu and excel at it. The show isn't really about exploring the Asian culture. It's more about a guy trying to find his path and avenging his parents' deaths. But it's cool, let's try to make white people feel bad for having white superheroes. He didn't have the IF costume on the show, and I'm not sure it would translate that well. Though, they could go with more of the Randall cargo pants, tight shirt look:

[​IMG]

I don't care for the open vest, bigass collar look. I don't think those '70s looks translate well, which is why they only paid homage to LC's old disco bodybuilder tiara-wearing princess look. If they cast an Asian, people could complain that 'Asian abandons his people and homeland for cushy job in New York'. If they cast Shang-Chi as a white guy, then I can understand the complaints.

That's kind of how it was on Taboo although it's not set in the modern day.

6. Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

Kneepocalypse
    Yeah, that other guy was right, there's no point discussing the matter with you. You're dead set on shouting against something you don't understand.

7. Ikuza Purple Belt

Ikuza
    In order. They talk about her man not currently being around aka LC away at Seagate Prison.

ChillyPalmer likes this.
  8. Garnett Silk Levels 5 and 6 in EA UFC 2 are beneath me

Garnett Silk
    So Daredevil fought the Major League Hand while Iron Fist fights the Hand single A squad

I also found it VERY interesting that Gao knows so much about K'un L'un and what Iron Fists are supposed to do....definitely can't wait for her to transform into a dragon in Defenders

Oh and I see the Defenders going the way of Avengers with Colson dying to bring the team together.....Claire is the common link between 3 main members so it makes sense for her to die to bring DD, IF, and LC together (would also motivate Cage to fight and beef with the Hand b/c right now only IF and DD have beefs with them

ChillyPalmer likes this.
  9. CO68 Silver Belt

CO68
    LOL, what don't I understand? Make a point instead of being a goddamn coward. Why act like a little kid who wants to take his ball and go home since someone disagrees with him? What is there that says his race is so important that he has to be Asian? You used SJW buzzwords like "make it right". LOL, make what right? What's wrong with Iron Fist being white? The right thing to do is make all people who excel at martial arts be Asian? It's funny, ignore that Chang-Shi exists and was created before IF, and instead of pushing for him to get his own series, let's push our shit agenda and complain about Iron Fist being white.

What do you think about this: "changing a character like Iron Fist into a person of color just to fit preconceptions about martial artists is actually a bit on the quietly, subtlely racist side in and of itself"? Or answer this question - why does it matter what color IF is?

Fuck it, they should have made IF be a green alien whose spaceship crashed in the Himalayas

armbarforhire likes this.
  10. Anung Un Rama The Right Hand of Doom

Anung Un Rama
    I wonder if Marvel would use this as an opportunity to redeem themselves by putting a proper Mandarin in as the villain?
    Or, if Gao is a dragon, will it be Fin Fang Foom? Or a more Netflixish, metaphorical dragon?

chickenluver and ChillyPalmer like this.
  11. Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

Kneepocalypse
    No one wants to engage with you because you're not here to discuss anything or understand where anyone else is coming from, you only want to shout at people for being wrong because they think something that you don't think. That's pretty much the defining characteristic of a miserable cunt, and experience tells there's no real point in associating with one of them unless you want to be one too.

ChillyPalmer likes this.
  12. ChillyPalmer The One True King

ChillyPalmer
    I know that much, I'm just wondering about the time between them. Is it weeks? months?

I'm guessing it works in real time sort of. The time between series.

Fuck it, I'm not a timeline expert.

Ikuza likes this.
  13. Ikuza Purple Belt

Ikuza
    Claire took classes long enough to know some stuff, but not be an IF level badass, so maybe a couple of months.

14. Bald1 War Room Can

Bald1
    So, worth watching as an old timey comic book collector?

electricfuneral likes this.
  15. Anung Un Rama The Right Hand of Doom

Anung Un Rama
    I actually gave it an official score of 6/10. I liked it, though. I'm an old timey collector myself and this is the kind of show that I would have normally raged about, but somehow I liked it (I think Colleen Wing and the mixed plot (family/ origin/ hand) make it compelling enough to watch.

I'd recommend everybody give it thru E6 before quitting. If there is nothing for you by that point then you can trust you won't be missing out by skipping the remainder.

Bald1 likes this.
  16. Bald1 War Room Can

Bald1
    Cool. Thanks. I trust your opinion on all things comic book, so I'll give it a go.

Anung Un Rama likes this.
  17. CO68 Silver Belt

CO68
    Spare me your pathetic attempts at armchair psychiatry. You don't have the slightest clue what I want. If all you are going to do is lash out instead of an actual explanation, then why are you even bothering? Is it maybe because you're the miserable cunt instead? I do find this funny because you're waaay off.

My posts are basically directly stating that I want to discuss and understand where someone else is coming from. Can you read? I'm not that familiar with Iron Fist. I don't remember getting his comic books when I was younger, so I don't know why it's so important for him to be Asian. I watched the show and there was nothing about it that pointed to him having to be Asian. I'm curious about the backlash against him, but everything I've read about it seems to be 'he's good at martial arts so he should be Asian'. It just comes off like they have some sort of agenda.

No wonder why so many people have left this place...

Kiddo716 and Synadil like this.
  18. superpunch Red Belt

superpunch
    It's got 2 main problems.

1) The main character's actor. Man I just wanna punch that dude in the face. Edgy super hero movies have a badass with a slight weakness, like Batman. This guy is just a weak guy with a slight badass edge-- no one likes a mostly weak guy.

2) It's super outdated. They're perpetuating cage fighting as "dishonorable" and like human cock fighting. That would have flown back in the 1970s when all that Kung Fu and martial arts religion and cult stuff was still looked at as legit. This is 2017 -- the UFC is a mainstream sport on ESPN.

Just bad casting, and bad story.

Tobago Jones and Calibur like this.
  19. Lionel Mandrake What A Rush!!!

Lionel Mandrake
    Lol... All that there is to understand is that it's a fictional story based on a comic book character; and the people that are crying over Iron fist being a white dude are making a big stink about nothing. Key word here being fiction. Besides the original character was white in the comic books anyway.

Kiddo716, Synadil and armbarforhire like this.
  20. Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

Kneepocalypse
    Yes, i understand who the original character is. I provided context as to why some people felt a certain way, and how this situation can be seen from a different perspective thats not quite as simplistic. I personally dont care what race a ninja monk with a glowing fist is. But disregarding how other people feel just because you dont feel the same way is a bit ignorant.