Machida's Resume vs. Shogun's Resume

Machida's "win" over Shogun was a joke. If you don't remember, you are a fool, so stfu.

Also, these "stats" are full of shit. They don't take into account the manner of wins. Machida's "win" over Shogun compared to Shogun's KNOCKOUT of Machida? Yeah, same thing, right?

Machida's win over Henderson, his highest ranked opponent, was uneventful and boring, and Machida spent 90% of it evading. Yeah it's his style, but his style is more about self defense than about beating someone up, and this is a sport about beating someone up, not demonstrating kata.

Great argument. Machida's win over Henderson (a guy who pummeled Shogun) counts less because you say it was boring. Awesome :rolleyes:

His record outshines Machida's easily. You have to look at the context of Shoguns fights not just the official result. He murderer Cryill who has ridiculous standup and is still fighting top caliber guys today. He beat the piss out of Rampage with ease. Easier than Wandy did. Beat Machida twice with two completely different styles technical and just murder-mode. Avenged his post-kneesurgery loss to Forrest by hammerfisting his face into the floor faster than Anderson disposed of him. I could go on and on. Prime Shogun is > Prime Mike Tyson

Nope.

Speaking of context: Machida arguably hadn't lost a round or taken any damage until after taking the title. That's 15 fights of outclassing guys.

*face-palm* I don't even.

Shogun's win over Overeem shouldn't mean much

Overeem wasn't special until he went to HW

The complete breakdown:

Forrest was ranked higher then Bader, Thiago Silva, and Sokodjou when Shogun beat him. Liddell was also ranked higher then them as well.

Now using TC's own logic against him, thus destroying any argument he has attempted to make on this thread:

Shogun win: Rampage>Henderson

Shogun win: Nog>Evans

Shogun win: Liddell>Ortiz and Couture

Shogun win: Rampage>Machida himself

Shogun win: Forrest>Franklin

Shogun win: Nog>Henderson

Shogun win: Arona>Henderson

So Shogun defeated Forrest who was ranked higher then Bader, Thiago Silva, and Sokodjou, these are some of Machida's top wins compared according to TC yet none of them were as relevant as poor ole' Forrest.

Shogun beat Rampage and Nogueira, who both defeated Henderson, Nog actually destroying him.

Shogun beat Nog, who beat Evans. Another one of Machida's top wins.

Shogun beat Liddell who was ranked in the top 5, who beat Ortiz and Couture convicingly on numerous occasions, these are other top wins of Machida according to TC.

Forrest defeated Franklin, another person TC was convinced was a signature win.

Shogun has more wins over ranked opponents. He defeated Machida, Rampage, Liddell, Nog, Griffin, Arona, and Alistair twice, every single of them ranked.

Machida probably has half of that in terms of wins over ranked opposition.

If you look at rankings and where they were ranked, which is what was attempted by the TC(who was using misinformation and false statistics), it's clearly in Shogun's favor by a very large margin, and not even close at that.

I'm not sure what kind of logic TC has been going by, but going with logic that makes any sort of sense, it's a huge edge on Rua's favor. If you used skewed statistics and misinformation, you can attempt to make anything look like it's in your favor. Going by fair and non-biased logic, it's unquestionably in Rua's favor by a very large margin.

Last edited:
shogun has a much better legacy imo.. pride gp champ, ufc lhw champ.. his run 2005 is the best in mma history.. jones, bas rutten second and third.

Both have great resumes, Shoguns is better as of right now imo.

Less losses, better wins, higher ranked best wins....Machida's already there, imo. They're comparable, but Machida is quite clearly above him now. The Dan Henderson win should remove all doubt.

shogun has a much better legacy imo.. pride gp champ, ufc lhw champ.. his run 2005 is the best in mma history.. jones, bas rutten second and third.

That's true.

shogun...because machida is on his resume

if machida had a legit victory over shogun then I would say him
and I'm a huge machida fan

I disagree. Overeem has never been elite, despite what some may tell you. He's long been a very solid fighter and a good feather to have in your cap, though.

Great argument. Machida's win over Henderson (a guy who pummeled Shogun) counts less because you say it was boring. Awesome :rolleyes:

Do you even watch mma? You must be one of those morons that picks 3 arbitrary words out of a paragraph and tries to use those words to summarize the entire book you're trying to read.

I believe he was ranked in top 10 on both occasions. He also had a pretty good run in 2005 MWGP where he finished Igor and Vitor with guillotine before he lost to Shogun.

Less losses, better wins, higher ranked best wins....Machida's already there, imo. They're comparable, but Machida is quite clearly above him now. The Dan Henderson win should remove all doubt.

I disagree.

Anyway, the whole "who is the LHW GOAT/2nd best LHW of all time between Chuck, Wand, Shogun, Machida etc." argument can be debated for days. And the fact that it can be debated for days shows how close all these guys are in comparison with each other.

I believe he was ranked in top 10 on both occasions. He also had a pretty good run in 2005 MWGP where he finished Igor and Vitor with guillotine before he lost to Shogun.

plus he fought twice that night, overeem and arona.. tough!

plus he fought twice that night, overeem and arona.. tough!

Yep, it was impressive how he ran through Arona after having a tough fight with Overeem. Final Conflict 2005 is without a doubt my favorite MMA event of all time.

As of late Shogun is going downhill while Machida is still at the top. If this was a couple years ago I would go with Shogun but atm its Machida..

Back