Machida's Resume vs. Shogun's Resume

Shogun certainly has had some inconsistencies but his record is currently a bit better. That may change as Machida is likely to be able to maintain a longer career. Must be the piss drinking.

Who would you rather watch though? Shogun in 2005 or Machida ever?

Machida ever.

His performances have been phenomenal and I love watching him fight. It's like art in motion.

Shogun destroyed Machida twice so his resume has a win over Machida thus makes him better. Unless Machida can beat Machida which is impossible :icon_evil

Interesting data and great thread.

Both have strong resumes and I suspect Machida would win if they fought again. That said, I'd rank Shogun's depth of competition above Machida's.

Shogun's top-10 wins were over fighters who were at or near their peak when he beat them, with the exception of Overeem, who continued to improve, and Liddell, who was starting to decline.

Machida's wins over Randy, Tito and Henderson were all against opponents who were very much in decline.

Machida has more runway left than Shogun though - another top-10 win will probably tip the scales in his favor.

I'm not saying that none of those losses legit, especially not the first Griffin fight. Griffin was the better man that night as were Babalu, Jones and Gustafsson. I tried to make a point about there being more to those losses than just red color on the Wiki page.

Yea, i see what you mean.

And to Shoguns credit, Forrest/Rua I was competitive throughout (he cut Forrest bad).

Hendo/Shogun was a war, that as you said some people scored a draw etc.

He looked better than people will give him credit for against Gus too imo.

He doesn't have a lot of "bad" losses, that's for sure.

Shoguns resume looks better. Shogun shouldn't even be on Machida's.

If Shogun put on his running shoes more often, his record may be a little better too.

Yea, right.

Diabate, Forrest, Randleman, Coleman, and LHW Overeem are space fillers.

sigh. and people complain about shogun fans? are you kidding me. so much hate just on the first page.pathetic lol

Shogun is probably my favorite fighter but the fact that Chuck and Wand had long title reigns and were/are MMA superstars counts for something in my book. Shogun's 2005 GP run was probably the most impressive year in MMA history up until Jones 2011, but Chuck and Wand both have great resumes as well. An argument could be made for any of them.

Agreed, personally I have my top 10 like this at the moment:

1. Wand
2.-3. Liddell/Shogun
4. Rampage
5. Jones
6.-7. Couture/Ortiz
8. Machida
9. Henderson
10. F. Shamrock

Contenders: Evans, Griffin, Sakuraba

Yea, right.

Lol, you may as well quote every other person who is posting.

You just about stand alone buddy.

So, to you he is nothing but a can crusher?

Machida ever.

His performances have been phenomenal and I love watching him fight. It's like art in motion.

Art perhaps but not particularly martial.

Yea, i see what you mean.

And to Shoguns credit, Forrest/Rua I was competitive throughout (he cut Forrest bad).

Hendo/Shogun was a war, that as you said some people scored a draw etc.

He looked better than people will give him credit for against Gus too imo.

He doesn't have a lot of "bad" losses, that's for sure.

For sure. I thought it was ridiculous that one or two of the judges scored that Gustafsson fight 30-26 to Gus. IIRC I thought it was a pretty clear 29-28.

I don't like it in general when people discredit fighters using nothing but their record. I see a lot of that with guys like Shogun and Couture.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?

Again: The source I have shows Bader was ranked #6. Your source says #9, while my other source Bloody Elbow says #8. So Bader was ranked in the general area of 6-9. I'm sure Forrest's ranking was similar if you branched out to other sites.

#2 - Sokoudjou was ranked #4, so that's a flat out lie.

Shogun has a better resume. He also has more wins over ranked opponents.

http://m.sherdog.com/news/articles/3/Sherdogs-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-10444

Here's Soko #8 weeks before he fought Machida, who's lying broseph?

http://m.sherdog.com/news/rankings/3/Sherdogs-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-44411

Here's your buddy Ryan Bader at #9

Lol, you may as well quote every other person who is posting.

You just about stand alone buddy.

Actually, quite a few people have responded positively, including a moderator. If you're going to try and mislead, don't do it when comments are so readily available to read.

Anyways, it's a fallacy to think that popular opinion reigns supreme. It can't be helped that Pride fanboys have a confirmation bias.

Yea, right.

Yet Forrest was ranked higher then Bader, Soko, and Thiago Silva, and also beat Rich Franklin.

And Overeem was ranked top 10 both times Shogun beat him.

TS' booty is still hurt from the "Fighters comment on Machida" thread.

Resume's include LOSSES...

Shogun = 7 Losses

Machida = 3 Losses

For sure. I thought it was ridiculous that one or two of the judges scored that Gustafsson fight 30-26 to Gus. IIRC I thought it was a pretty clear 29-28.

I don't like it in general when people discredit fighters using nothing but their record. I see a lot of that with guys like Shogun and Couture.

Yeah i agree with you.

And yes, I'm pretty sure i gave Shogun 1 round in the Gus fight iirc.

Shogun has a better resume. He also has more wins over ranked opponents.

http://m.sherdog.com/news/articles/3/Sherdogs-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-10444

Here's Soko #8 weeks before he fought Machida, who's lying broseph?

http://m.sherdog.com/news/rankings/3/Sherdogs-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-44411

Here's your buddy Ryan Bader at #9

No wonder Sherdog has been accused of being UFC centric. At least four other MMA ranking websites/magazines had Sokoudjou at #4/#5.

Yet Forrest was ranked higher then Bader, Soko, and Thiago Silva, and also beat Rich Franklin.

And Overeem was ranked top 10 both times Shogun beat him.

On Sherdog. Too bad rankings aren't limited to this website. Thiago Silva was in a title eliminator fight and Sokoudjou had back to back KO's wins over top 10-15 opponents - two of which are on Shogun's resume. What was Forrest up to besides getting battered around?

Fun fact: Shogun has two wins over Machida.

Exactly. I love both but Shogun's resume smashes Lyoto's just watch 104 and 113 pretty much proves it. But thats not the point your trying to make. Shoguns wins towers over Machidas due to timeframe. Overall math is better but thats kind of like MMATH lol. Just my opinion.

Back