Lomachenko vs... wait for it... | Page 7

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Queen B, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Sunfish Martinez Belt

Sunfish
    Fuck off sean, you’ve known for fucking years who slim is. Settle down beavis.

2. DeJulez Black Belt

DeJulez
    Beltran said he'd fight Lomachenko at 130lbs.
    Beltran will win and Loma will be known for being susceptible to the Veteran Mexican grinders

3. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    Beltran is actually a pretty interesting fight for Lomachenko at 135 (Beltran is a very big 135er and isn't making 130). He has far more in common with Salido than anyone else Lomachenko has fought since that outing, and that win would be a good showcase of his improvements since that Salido fight. Honestly, a guy like Beltran is probably a bigger challenge than Linares (and I'd give Beltran a real chance of beating Linares, as well).

ironfist05 likes this.
  4. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    He made $1.2m in his last fight. Recently, according to Floyd, it should've been $2.5m from "Bottom Rank". He'll spar Conor for free is what he's saying, I think (he asked to spar him before but Conor got very defensive). Conor wouldn't do it anyhow because it'd be terrible for his image when the whole session is released without the editing his team will try and do.

5. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    i'm glad he's making good money, and it doesn't seem like it's affecting his focus in any way.

a very grounded, well managed fighter so far, it would seem.

Kovalev's "Man Bag" likes this.
  6. ironfist05 Silver Belt

ironfist05
    Apparently Vasyl had a press conference in Kiev the other day. He says that he wants Linares, then Beltran, then Mikey in that order

7. ironfist05 Silver Belt

ironfist05
    I agree that Beltran isn't the best opponent (I think he'd be the weakest of the four titleholders, assuming he beats Moses), but he does have a style that troubles Loma. I think if nothing else, a fight with Beltran would be a good way to see how much Loma has improved versus gritty grinder style opponents, since that's the last serious question mark about Loma right now.

8. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    Is it? Beltran is arguably a more interesting opponent than anyone since Russell Jr., and, for me at least, a more interesting fight than Linares. I'd probably favour Beltran over Linares.

9. ironfist05 Silver Belt

ironfist05
    I definitely wouldn't. Competitive fight, sure, given Linares's mediocre defense and shaky chin, but I've been seeing Beltran get more confidence on here than I think he deserves. Dude's a pretty generic Mexican-style fighter, not sure how he's gone from generic fighter to a guy who should be favored of Linares. Not htat Linares is particularly special himself, but I think Beltran's been getting overrated on here because he got robbed against Ricky "hometown" Burns. This guy barely scraped past a used up Vasquez.

still, he's a good fight for Vasyl stylistically, so I'm interested.

also, I think both Rigo and Walters would beat the piss out of GRJ.

10. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    Rigondeaux might have been able to beat Russell down several years ago. I'd be very skeptical of him doing that nowadays, though. I haven't seen a lot from Walters to think that he'd have a ton of success against a good southpaw boxer that wouldn't come right to him and give him ample amount to counter. He's bigger than Russell Jr., sure, but I don't think he's the higher quality fighter (although, it really is tough to know how good Russell Jr. actually is, considering how infrequently he fights).

Beltran is far from special, but the LW division in general is devoid of special talent. Linares, for as good as he looks when he's putting combinations together, is still very flawed and hasn't really had to test himself against a big rugged fighter with a bit of ability since DeMarco (and DeMarco was never very good to begin with). I don't think Beltran would pose much of a threat to Lomachenko, but it would be interesting to see how he'd adapt to a guy who would walk him down and impose his size advantage. To me that's more interesting than seeing him outbox Linares (I don't think anyone is questioning that Lomachenko is a better boxer than Linares and perfectly capable of handling his kind of style).

11. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    i like roman, i want him to do well... but lomachenko would make him look foolish, double quick.

people assume because lomachenko lost to salido, the gritty, tough fighters are going to be problematic for him. i disagree. when he loses, it will be to another slickster, which micky roman simply isn't.

i have absolutely no idea if mikey garcia's approach could put lomachenko in trouble, but i want to see it.

12. ArtemV Silver Belt

ArtemV
    Lomachenko by tko imo.

13. moosaev Green Belt

moosaev
    Remember when we called this shit like 2 months ago? Boxing is so predictable.

Dr. Will likes this.
  14. moosaev Green Belt

moosaev
    And to people that think Beltran actually has a chance....the fight will not get made if Beltran is any sort of threat to Loma. TR knows what theyre doing.

Dr. Will and Sunfish like this.
  15. moosaev Green Belt

moosaev
    TR is seriously risking a backlash against Loma if they keep up this matchmaking, at this rate before long his only followers will be Ukrainians from his home town and Loma fanboys on Sherdog.

you've been all in on Loma and even you're getting fed up, not a good sign.

16. Boxiana Green Belt

Boxiana
    The promoting genius of Arum grinds on...

17. Queen B Silver Belt

Queen B
    May 26 would be a good day to move it. No major boxing that night

18. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Well, things could always be worse couldn't they? He wasn't obligated to move up in the first place. If he stays at 130 then he's allegedly picking on the other top fighters. If he moves up and fights the #2 guy at 135 (Linares), who's actually the most accomplished there, then it's a shit fight (according to you). The #1 guy isn't available to fight at Lightweight for him. Beltran offers size, power and little else. The Lightweight division isn't stacked with talent and neither is 140 at this time. If the other fighters were held to the same standard then they'd fare much worse. He isn't taking a stay busy fight here or a tune-up, he's looking to fight current titleholders a division north.

You're now his matchmaker. Who does he fight next that's acceptable to you? Consider the options that he currently has, their availability and whether it's at least a B grade match-up in your eyes. Don't say Linares because you already shit on that fight.

19. Behemoth23 White Belt

Behemoth23
    Agreed. 26th would be perfect.

20. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    De La Hoya: Lomachenko Can Make More Versus Linares on HBO