Lomachenko vs... wait for it...

When someone gets one of my likes-

10b.%20King%20Knighting%20Squire%20colour%20copy.jpg
Fuck off sean, you’ve known for fucking years who slim is. Settle down beavis.

Beltran said he'd fight Lomachenko at 130lbs.
Beltran will win and Loma will be known for being susceptible to the Veteran Mexican grinders

Beltran is actually a pretty interesting fight for Lomachenko at 135 (Beltran is a very big 135er and isn't making 130). He has far more in common with Salido than anyone else Lomachenko has fought since that outing, and that win would be a good showcase of his improvements since that Salido fight. Honestly, a guy like Beltran is probably a bigger challenge than Linares (and I'd give Beltran a real chance of beating Linares, as well).

I don't want the words of the méjvezera, and I know I deserve more. But now the reality is that I have to fulfill the terms of the contract.

About MMA

- nothing to do with Max Holloway's training, I don't know, he was just watching the video of my fights and watching the boxing school for himself.

With T.J. Dillašou once sparring - four rounds for four minutes. Just asked to stand with him in a couple, but he was all over the rounds, though it was hard for him.

I can meet with Conor Mcgregor for free, but it's not about the money. MMA and boxing are two different kinds of sports. I'll finish boxing and then I'll think about the UFC.

He made $1.2m in his last fight. Recently, according to Floyd, it should've been $2.5m from "Bottom Rank". He'll spar Conor for free is what he's saying, I think (he asked to spar him before but Conor got very defensive). Conor wouldn't do it anyhow because it'd be terrible for his image when the whole session is released without the editing his team will try and do.

He made $1.2m in his last fight. Recently, according to Floyd, it should've been $2.5m from "Bottom Rank". He'll spar Conor for free is what he's saying, I think (he asked to spar him before but Conor got very defensive). Conor wouldn't do it anyhow because it'd be terrible for his image when the whole session is released without the editing his team will try and do.

i'm glad he's making good money, and it doesn't seem like it's affecting his focus in any way.

a very grounded, well managed fighter so far, it would seem.

Apparently Vasyl had a press conference in Kiev the other day. He says that he wants Linares, then Beltran, then Mikey in that order

Loma vs Beltran is such a prime wasting fight...but hey, I guess he wants the WBA from Linares, WBO from Beltran, WBC from Mikey and then I'm guessing IBF from whoever.
I agree that Beltran isn't the best opponent (I think he'd be the weakest of the four titleholders, assuming he beats Moses), but he does have a style that troubles Loma. I think if nothing else, a fight with Beltran would be a good way to see how much Loma has improved versus gritty grinder style opponents, since that's the last serious question mark about Loma right now.

Loma vs Beltran is such a prime wasting fight...but hey, I guess he wants the WBA from Linares, WBO from Beltran, WBC from Mikey and then I'm guessing IBF from whoever.

Is it? Beltran is arguably a more interesting opponent than anyone since Russell Jr., and, for me at least, a more interesting fight than Linares. I'd probably favour Beltran over Linares.

Is it? Beltran is arguably a more interesting opponent than anyone since Russell Jr., and, for me at least, a more interesting fight than Linares. I'd probably favour Beltran over Linares.
I definitely wouldn't. Competitive fight, sure, given Linares's mediocre defense and shaky chin, but I've been seeing Beltran get more confidence on here than I think he deserves. Dude's a pretty generic Mexican-style fighter, not sure how he's gone from generic fighter to a guy who should be favored of Linares. Not htat Linares is particularly special himself, but I think Beltran's been getting overrated on here because he got robbed against Ricky "hometown" Burns. This guy barely scraped past a used up Vasquez.

still, he's a good fight for Vasyl stylistically, so I'm interested.

also, I think both Rigo and Walters would beat the piss out of GRJ.

I definitely wouldn't. Competitive fight, sure, given Linares's mediocre defense and shaky chin, but I've been seeing Beltran get more confidence on here than I think he deserves. Dude's a pretty generic Mexican-style fighter, not sure how he's gone from generic fighter to a guy who should be favored of Linares. Not htat Linares is particularly special himself, but I think Beltran's been getting overrated on here because he got robbed against Ricky "hometown" Burns. This guy barely scraped past a used up Vasquez.

still, he's a good fight for Vasyl stylistically, so I'm interested.

also, I think both Rigo and Walters would beat the piss out of GRJ.

Rigondeaux might have been able to beat Russell down several years ago. I'd be very skeptical of him doing that nowadays, though. I haven't seen a lot from Walters to think that he'd have a ton of success against a good southpaw boxer that wouldn't come right to him and give him ample amount to counter. He's bigger than Russell Jr., sure, but I don't think he's the higher quality fighter (although, it really is tough to know how good Russell Jr. actually is, considering how infrequently he fights).

Beltran is far from special, but the LW division in general is devoid of special talent. Linares, for as good as he looks when he's putting combinations together, is still very flawed and hasn't really had to test himself against a big rugged fighter with a bit of ability since DeMarco (and DeMarco was never very good to begin with). I don't think Beltran would pose much of a threat to Lomachenko, but it would be interesting to see how he'd adapt to a guy who would walk him down and impose his size advantage. To me that's more interesting than seeing him outbox Linares (I don't think anyone is questioning that Lomachenko is a better boxer than Linares and perfectly capable of handling his kind of style).

He can potentially try that approach, but it does not come naturally to him. The style that worries Lomachenko is Miguel Roman style. I want to see Lomachenko fight Miguel Roman. Roman poses more of a threat than Mikey Garcia and Jorge Linares, without necessarily being the better fighter.

i like roman, i want him to do well... but lomachenko would make him look foolish, double quick.

people assume because lomachenko lost to salido, the gritty, tough fighters are going to be problematic for him. i disagree. when he loses, it will be to another slickster, which micky roman simply isn't.

i have absolutely no idea if mikey garcia's approach could put lomachenko in trouble, but i want to see it.

Remember when we called this shit like 2 months ago? Boxing is so predictable.

It does seem like that's why they're waiting for the Beltran-Moses fight on Friday and then make a decision. In doing that, they will probably lowball Linares and say 'Beltran is willing to fight for much less', Linares probably doesn't feel the same incentive to fight Loma anymore because he'd have to forfeit his WBC diamond belt (although Linares did say he's moving to 140 after the Loma fight so who knows).

Fed up!

And to people that think Beltran actually has a chance....the fight will not get made if Beltran is any sort of threat to Loma. TR knows what theyre doing.

Loma's resume is going to pan out like GGG's at this rate. This whole era is a different game, now. You either fight 80% mediocre opposition, 20% good opposition and waste your prime as a result, with the others only fighting you when you're past your best - one idea being 'to let the fight marinate' VS move up to a weight class where you'll be dwarfed.

Bob Arum is saying the fight can happen on May 12th, they could figure something out.
BUT Eric Gomez of GBP has said although financial terms etc. have been agreed, they cannot have it competing with their own product, the Canelo-GGG 2 rematch replay. So they want to move the fight to the end of May. Loma should just let the fight happen 1-2 weeks later than scheduled and go through with this Linares fight.

Either that or Loma will fight C grade Beltran and I will lose 75% of my interest in his career. No more Marriaga's and Sosa's please.

TR is seriously risking a backlash against Loma if they keep up this matchmaking, at this rate before long his only followers will be Ukrainians from his home town and Loma fanboys on Sherdog.

you've been all in on Loma and even you're getting fed up, not a good sign.

The promoting genius of Arum grinds on...

May 26 would be a good day to move it. No major boxing that night

TR is seriously risking a backlash against Loma if they keep up this matchmaking, at this rate before long his only followers will be Ukrainians from his home town and Loma fanboys on Sherdog.

you've been all in on Loma and even you're getting fed up, not a good sign.

Well, things could always be worse couldn't they? He wasn't obligated to move up in the first place. If he stays at 130 then he's allegedly picking on the other top fighters. If he moves up and fights the #2 guy at 135 (Linares), who's actually the most accomplished there, then it's a shit fight (according to you). The #1 guy isn't available to fight at Lightweight for him. Beltran offers size, power and little else. The Lightweight division isn't stacked with talent and neither is 140 at this time. If the other fighters were held to the same standard then they'd fare much worse. He isn't taking a stay busy fight here or a tune-up, he's looking to fight current titleholders a division north.

You're now his matchmaker. Who does he fight next that's acceptable to you? Consider the options that he currently has, their availability and whether it's at least a B grade match-up in your eyes. Don't say Linares because you already shit on that fight.

Updated at 09:32 PM EST, Thu Feb 15, 2018
De La Hoya: Lomachenko Can Make More Versus Linares on HBO

By Keith Idec

Oscar De La Hoya has drawn his promotional line in the sand.

On the opposite side stands Bob Arum, his former promoter and current competitor. Who else would it be based on their longstanding love-hate relationship?

Arum and De La Hoya seemingly agree on most things pertaining to putting together an intriguing Vasyl Lomachenko-Jorge Linares lightweight title fight.

De La Hoya, whose company co-promotes Linares (44-3, 27 KOs), contends he has no problem with Linares fighting Lomachenko (10-1, 8 KOs), even if the fight must be broadcast by ESPN. Golden Boy Promotions does its most profitable business with HBO, but De La Hoya’s company also has a lower-profile series that airs on ESPN.

Golden Boy president Eric Gomez, fellow co-promoter Akihiko Honda and Arum’s Top Rank Inc. even have agreed to financial terms, despite that they started far apart, for Ukraine’s Lomachenko to make his lightweight debut against Venezuela’s Linares, the WBA 135-pound champion.

They’re all fine as well with Arum’s proposed site, Madison Square Garden.

The primary problem, one that could very well prevent Lomachenko-Linares from taking place next, is the date.

As Arum first told BoxingScene.com on Tuesday, Lomachenko must fight May 12 because that’s the date on which ESPN executives have told him they want the WBO super featherweight champion to fight. Lomachenko and Terence Crawford are the two most important promotional components to Top Rank’s exclusive ESPN deal, thus Arum wants to accommodate the request of the television partner paying plenty of money to air his company’s fights.

That date won’t work for Golden Boy because HBO will air a replay of the Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin middleweight championship rematch the night of May 12. Alvarez and Golovkin are set to fight again May 5, probably at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

HBO Pay-Per-View replays regularly air the following Saturday night and often are packaged with live boxing.

On May 12, Golden Boy could be the provider of the live fight for HBO. Regardless, De La Hoya doesn’t want to compete against himself by allowing Linares to fight Lomachenko on another network at the same time HBO would air a doubleheader that’ll include the Alvarez-Golovkin rematch.

Arum told BoxingScene.com he was hopeful the telecasts could air at different times May 12, but that apparently won’t happen. The Hall-of-Fame promoter told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday that he blames HBO executive Peter Nelson, a routine target of Arum’s criticism since taking his fighters exclusively to ESPN, for this Lomachenko-Linares standoff.

De La Hoya took to Twitter on Thursday to offer his thoughts on the situation.

Here’s what the retired six-division champion posted through an account that has 1.81 million followers:

1., Over the last days, there has been a lot of rumor and speculation about the potential fight between @JorgeLinares and @VasylLomachenko. The facts are pretty clear.

2., @JorgeLinares wants this fight. @GoldenBoyBoxing wants this fight. Mr. Honda wants this fight. And collectively we are doing everything we can to get these two champions into the ring.

3., We know of no bylaw, Ukrainian holiday or “magic day” in the words of Bob Arum that mandates that @VasylLomachenko can only fight one day during the spring and summer month – May 12th.

4., While @JorgeLinares is happy to fight on any other date of the calendar, if @VasylLomachenko absolutely, positively must fight on the 12th, we have a solution.

5., HBO is willing to pay more for the fight than is currently being offered. And they would do it on May 12th.

6., So, @VasylLomachenko has three options. 1) Fight on May 12th on HBO 2) Fight on any other day on the calendar, 3) walk away from the fight all the fans of the sport want to see. I am hopeful he chooses one of the first two.

De La Hoya’s six Tweets on Thursday were in response in part to what Arum told BoxingScene.com earlier this week and Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

Arum remained hopeful on Tuesday.

“Right now, we’re going ahead on Lomachenko and Linares,” Arum said. “We have an agreement in principle with [Linares’] lead promoter, Honda, and Carl is working out the details with Eric Gomez. They have a problem with May 12th because it’s the day they’ll show the [replay of] Golovkin-Canelo. But they can put the delay on at any time they want.

“Maybe we can work it out so that they can still get a good audience for that and we can still go ahead [with Lomachenko-Linares] on the 12th. The 12th is very important for us because ESPN wants it for that date because it’s right in the middle of the NBA playoffs. We’d have a tremendous lead-in to a Lomachenko-Linares fight.”

By Thursday, Arum felt Nelson was preventing Lomachenko-Linares from airing on ESPN on May 12.

“You guys [in the media] are always telling us to work with other promotions when we’re doing something,” Arum told Yahoo! Sports. “But what you don’t understand is, this is what happens. You can lay all this on Peter Nelson, with all his machinations. This is what happens. You get other networks involved and they think they’re wise guys and they try to screw it up.

“This is a magic date for ESPN and The Garden has already been reserved for May 12. This is crazy that [HBO would] be doing this kind of thing, with the merger between AT&T and Time Warner [HBO’s parent company] being reviewed by the Justice Department.”
De La Hoya: Lomachenko Can Make More Versus Linares on HBO

Back