Lomachenko vs... wait for it...

Well, it's to Lomachenko's detriment. I'm sure he'd rather be making more money while getting a viewership boost from the GGG/Canelo replay as opposed to having to compete with it. I think there is a pretty good chance that we don't see Lomachenko re-up with TR.

I actually see it the other way around. In today's generation, anyone and their grandmother will have watched it online than wait a week for a replay.

Loma will be fighting live, and i think that hurts HBO, which is why they should just concede the fight and structure the replay around it.

I actually see it the other way around. In today's generation, anyone and their grandmother will have watched it online than wait a week for a replay.

Loma will be fighting live, and i think that hurts HBO, which is why they should just concede the fight and structure the replay around it.

The replay of the first fight averaged over 800K viewers on premium cable without any name value in the later fights (which averaged clearly less than the replay). It's very legitimate competition for a guy who is hardly a proven draw yet. In terms of ratings, that's comparable to Lomachenko's last fight (going by the percentage of the total households carrying the respective channels).

The replay of the first fight averaged over 800K viewers on premium cable without any name value in the later fights (which averaged clearly less than the replay). It's very legitimate competition for a guy who is hardly a proven draw yet. In terms of ratings, that's comparable to Lomachenko's last fight (going by the percentage of the total households carrying the respective channels).

What was that replay going up against? If it didn't have counter-programming, it doesn't mean much.

ESPN gets ratings, and the timeslot is structured around the NBA playoffs. Only HBO is going to lose out here. I'm the only one here actually looking at it from ESPN and TV's perspective. Everyone else is only talking boxing and money.

What was that replay going up against? If it didn't have counter-programming, it doesn't mean much.

ESPN gets ratings, and the timeslot is structured around the NBA playoffs. Only HBO is going to lose out here. I'm the only one here actually looking at it from ESPN and TV's perspective. Everyone else is only talking boxing and money.

HBO, Lomachenko, Linares, GBP, and Teiken are all losing out. TR itself would be losing out (less money coming in), unless they benefit more form promoting in-house with Lomachenko/Beltran, which they likely do. The only one gaining anything without a doubt is ESPN.

HBO, Lomachenko, Linares, GBP, and Teiken are all losing out. TR itself would be losing out (less money coming in), unless they benefit more form promoting in-house with Lomachenko/Beltran, which they likely do. The only one gaining anything without a doubt is ESPN.

Has Loma said he's unhappy with the money from ESPN/TR? And if he gets an easier opponent in Beltran, I'm guessing it wont even matter at that point. Linares loses out a payday, period. Loma stills fights, Linares doesn't get any fight.

I'm thinking its going to be Loma vs Beltran, we already know its going to get higher ratings, its cable vs premium cable. But the question is how high. I have a feeling this might rival Pac vs Horn in ratings, might be second place to it.

Has Loma said he's unhappy with the money from ESPN/TR? And if he gets an easier opponent in Beltran, I'm guessing it wont even matter at that point. Linares loses out a payday, period. Loma stills fights, Linares doesn't get any fight.

I'm thinking its going to be Loma vs Beltran, we already know its going to get higher ratings, its cable vs premium cable. But the question is how high. I have a feeling this might rival Pac vs Horn in ratings, might be second place to it.

You think Lomachenko is going to more than double his ratings while facing an unknown fighter (without the hype of gold medal v. gold medal and all that) and competing with the GGG/Canelo replay? That's very optimistic.

You think Lomachenko is going to more than double his ratings while facing an unknown fighter (without the hype of gold medal v. gold medal and all that) and competing with the GGG/Canelo replay? That's very optimistic.

Pac-Horn did 3.1 million average. Loma-Rigo did 1.73 million.
I can see Loma doing easily 2 million or over on May 12. Just a matter of how high it goes.

Pac-Horn did 3.1 million average. Loma-Rigo did 1.73 million.
I can see Loma doing easily 2 million or over on May 12. Just a matter of how high it goes.

If you go by peaks, Pac/Horn peaked at 4.4, whereas Lomachenko/Rigo peaked at 2.1. I can see them maybe improving on Loma/Rigo (they didn't have the same kind of competition that night as they'll have against the GGG/Canelo replay), but I can guarantee they're not going to approach Pac/Horn numbers.

If you go by peaks, Pac/Horn peaked at 4.4, whereas Lomachenko/Rigo peaked at 2.1. I can see them maybe improving on Loma/Rigo (they didn't have the same kind of competition that night as they'll have against the GGG/Canelo replay), but I can guarantee they're not going to approach Pac/Horn numbers.

Peak numbers are just curiosity stats without meaning. Average is what how many people are watching the program, not flipping channels.

Peak numbers are just curiosity stats without meaning. Average is what how many people are watching the program, not flipping channels.

Or, you know, it's a stat which shows how many people tuned in during the area of peak interest (i.e. when the fight is happening).

Lomachenko is like a naive little girl at times, glad he fights because he clearly has no mind for anything beyond it. Lost some respect for him.
This is his response to Oscar De La Hoya? There are plenty of avenues to make the fight. Beltran is a SHIT fight, Loma won't get any historical credit for beating Beltran.

I hope GBP put up a huge card on May 12th to completely fuck Loma's numbers up.
Top Rank will fight tooth and nail to keep fights in-house but there were clear ways to make this fight happen. May 12th isn't as important as not making the fight happen.

If I don't see the best fight the best, and Loma is P4P no.1 to me easy, then it doesn't sit right with me.

As mediocre as Beltran looked tonight (and has looked for his last few fights, he's clearly on the downswing and it's not like he was ever special), I don't think there is an appreciable difference in difference in difficulty between him and Linares despsite Linares being the shinier win at the moment.

Why ESPN would ever try to counter program the Canelo/GGG 2 rematch is beyond me. Why TR would further back that is even dumber. It's very stupid from both parties. Bob will always go down with his ship of pettiness, though.

I think Linares will fight Mikey in June as Mikey really wanted that fight before the Loma fight. Loma will thus fight another mediocre opponent after Beltran and it will be one of his very last prime years that he is responsible for wasting.

I've already had issues in the past with Lomachenko offering good opponents cheap change.

I don't want to hear Loma say 'I can't get the champions to fight me'. Start by not offering them peanuts and also you need to WANT the fight enough to at least push for it to be on another date.

Linares is a bit of an enigma but I think he's straightened up his game. It would've been a more interesting fight and Linares is a name that Loma would benefit from having on his resume. He's an experienced, world class champion and Beltran is an experienced contender lucky to have that title fight from yesterday. Regardless of how tough it will be for Loma, people are not going to go out of their way to praise the Beltran fight IMO. Especially seeing as Beltran will be almost 37 when they fight.

Exactly, and these sorts of situations just make it worse as the bad blood feels renewed. The hardest thing to sort out is always the financials, but that was all easily agreed for Loma-Linares.

When you choose Bob Arum as your promoter, you're bound to run into issues when you fight other fighters with any kind of name who are backed by another major promoter. This is Bob's trademark. Crawford unifying was miraculous because no teeth had to be pulled, but that's a very rare situation which doesn't make me optimistic for WW matchmaking.

I'm not only singling Arum out as Oscar and many other promoters aren't really any better, but it seems no one holds a grudge quite like Bob does.

I think Linares will fight Mikey in June as Mikey really wanted that fight before the Loma fight. Loma will thus fight another mediocre opponent after Beltran and it will be one of his very last prime years that he is responsible for wasting.

I've already had issues in the past with Lomachenko offering good opponents cheap change.

I don't want to hear Loma say 'I can't get the champions to fight me'. Start by not offering them peanuts and also you need to WANT the fight enough to at least push for it to be on another date.

Linares is a bit of an enigma but I think he's straightened up his game. It would've been a more interesting fight and Linares is a name that Loma would benefit from having on his resume. He's an experienced, world class champion and Beltran is an experienced contender lucky to have that title fight from yesterday. Regardless of how tough it will be for Loma, people are not going to go out of their way to praise the Beltran fight IMO. Especially seeing as Beltran will be almost 37 when they fight.

Exactly, and these sorts of situations just make it worse as the bad blood feels renewed. The hardest thing to sort out is always the financials, but that was all easily agreed for Loma-Linares.

You're not wrong. Beltran will be written off, whereas Linares would be remembered as a Ring champion (even if I think that's a tad dubious; a few ratings, including TBRB (who I tend to give the most credence to) who has him #2, have Linares not even #1 at LW). Beltran is clearly past his best (not that his best was anything exceptional, but his style does not age well).

If Linares can beat Campbell and Crolla I don’t see him having trouble with a midget like Lomachenko.
Dude, he barely won against Campbell - and Crolla isn't even up to standard for this conversation. If Campbell and Linares go again, it's the opposite outcome, 100%.

As for him welcoming Loma into his weight class, that's a bold step. Linares goes to sleep midway through fights, and Loma preys on those who take their foot of the gas. This is only going to end with Loma smothering Linares and forcing the stoppage.

Either way, Linares is running into a brick wall. Outpointed by Loma, or knocked out by Garcia. He loses both of these encounters any day of the week.

In that press conference he did in the Ukraine recently he mentioned finishing out his contract. I think he'll consider other options. No idea how many fights he has left on that TR contract, though. I just know he said that he's got a certain guarantee in place per fight. In this case right now it's 1m+ and has been since he fought Walters on HBO in late 2016.
From the later post that Dr.Will put up it looks like he's trapped in until 2020! That's not good.

Lomachenko is like a naive little girl at times, glad he fights because he clearly has no mind for anything beyond it. Lost some respect for him.
This is his response to Oscar De La Hoya? There are plenty of avenues to make the fight. Beltran is a SHIT fight, Loma won't get any historical credit for beating Beltran.

Top Rank will fight tooth and nail to keep fights in-house but there were clear ways to make this fight happen. May 12th isn't as important as not making the fight happen.

If I don't see the best fight the best, and Loma is P4P no.1 to me easy, then it doesn't sit right with me.

That's a pretty 'naive' comment from Lomachenko as you say. Sort of explains why he has stuck by Arum so far.

Dude, he barely won against Campbell - and Crolla isn't even up to standard for this conversation. If Campbell and Linares go again, it's the opposite outcome, 100%.

As for him welcoming Loma into his weight class, that's a bold step. Linares goes to sleep midway through fights, and Loma preys on those who take their foot of the gas. This is only going to end with Loma smothering Linares and forcing the stoppage.
Yep Campbell isn't anything special, just a UK level fighter but he did ok vs. Linares. I certainly didn't see anything from Linares that night that made me think he'd even win a single round vs. Lomachenko.

That isn't Vasyl Lomachenko. That's his Twitter handler putting pressure on Golden Boy and building his brand by promoting his Boxraw line of tracksuits to his followers (same as they do on his IG account & FB). Loma's English is still limited and if you notice the tweet has perfect grammar, spelling (for American English) and punctuation. More importantly, there's no location included which was done deliberately. If there was then it would show California or the Ukraine for him as he hops back and forth between both year round.

I'm sure that he does have a real social media account on VK. It's essentially the Russian version of Facebook over in Eastern Europe. You're not seeing the best fight the best consistently anyway FWIW.

Last edited:
Back