Lomachenko vs... wait for it...

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jorge Linares

Hopefully its on May 12 because April 28 would be competing against Danny Jacobs on HBO. Makes sense to be on ESPN since Golden Boy has a contract with them as well.

Arum, Lomacheko, Klimas, Honda, Linares, and Golden Boy are all interested

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum told ESPN on Monday that talks are underway for them to meet in the main event of a Top Rank ESPN card on either April 28 or May 12 at a site to be determined.

Arum said he has been discussing the bout with Teiken Promotions' Akihiko Honda, the leading Japanese promoter, whom Arum has known for decades and who co-promotes Linares with Golden Boy Promotions.

"I've been talking to Mr. Honda for a month about the possibility of Linares-Lomachenko," Arum said. "But I had to wait for Linares to fight on Saturday night and see how things turned out. Well, the kid won. Now we can discuss terms for the fight. I'm waiting to hear back from Honda.

"Knowing Honda, he'll probably ask for the terms he wants and we'll work that out, and then he would have me contact Golden Boy for the provision of services contract and to work out the other stuff, like tickets, travel, those details. So far in my conversations with Honda, everything is proceeding nicely, so we'll see."

Arum said, according to Honda, it is a fight Linares is very interested in -- and the same goes for Lomachenko and his manager, Egis Klimas.

BoxingScene has already reported this. Stop pushing that fat friend of yours (Fat Dan). The only inside scoop he has is at Baskin-Robbins.

A better fight for Loma than who he has been fighting but I still think he wins pretty clearly.

Let them counter-program Hearn. Would be enticing for the both of them (TR and GB). I bet that's the plan, or they dropped the ball.

espn also reported, fight seems like its close
i think arum thinks lomachenko, at this pt in his career will dominate everyone incl. linares and garcia
thats why its not so hard to make deals

could be his best opponent to date
but still don't think linares brings anything new, that lomachenko hasn't seen before

I think that this is a closer fight than people think. Obivously Linares has some question marks in his performance when I look at his past, and obviously Lomachenko is at the very peak of his game and he is just plain destructive. The tidal wave of money probably comes in for Lomachenko, but this is a legit fight and I really think that it will be competitive.

Love this fight.

If i comment on this thread will you be ok? I dont want to hurt your feelings anymore tonight, im not a bully.

anyways this is a good fight.

I see loma being more skilled and should have a fairly easy victory but linares size might come to play a little bit but he doesnt usually fight using his weight all that much...so easy fight for loma

In before Seano finds a way to shit on this fight and shit and Loma and state his opinion in a way that means if the outcome is anything besides a first round stoppage it must mean Loma is a huge pile of shit!

Meh. Good enough fight. Linares is pretty inconsistent. Hard to imagine him putting it all together vs Lomachenko. I like this a lot more than the Rigondeaux fight though.

In before Seano finds a way to shit on this fight and shit and Loma and state his opinion in a way that means if the outcome is anything besides a first round stoppage it must mean Loma is a huge pile of shit!
Man, I have to say I can't recall ever getting so personally riled that someone didn't like my favorite fighters. Even at the peak of Floyd/Pac nonsense.

Linares is probably the best fight out there other than Berchelt and Garcia (and they're not available). I'm of the opinion that Linares has mostly been feasting on mediocre fighters over the last little while at LW, but you can't deny that he has clearly separated himself as having the best resume at the weight right now.

Linares will be a bit bigger than Lomachenko and he is quick and relatively sharp technically (although, his defensive shortcomings evident earlier in his career aren't exactly gone). That could cause some Lomachenko a few issues early, but I doubt it will be too significant. It probably won't be very competitive after round 5 or 6.

If Linares can beat Campbell and Crolla I don’t see him having trouble with a midget like Lomachenko.

Linares does have flaws, but he's a seasonned guy with decent output and accuracy and he's been a lightweight for years. For a first fight at 135 it's not the easy way to go. Very good fight. Loma via some hard fought JD.

Last edited:
Back