Little Canada flags stitched onto backpacks while traveling abroad.

I'm always backpacking but my backpack is 100% free from patches of flags of mine, or any other country. Shit looks cringeworthy.

Little flags on backpacks isn't half as embarrassing as how much Americans spam their flag

Me and the wife drover down some random road in Maine and every property had like 50 flags all over the place- and every telephone poll had a flag too - it was way over the top

At least they’re doing it at home.

A few points:

1. Nobody cares you’re from Canada.

2. You look like a twat.

3. Stop it.

Over the last few years I’ve been seeing it more and more. Do other nationalities do this?

I’m Canadian by the way. I find this shit embarrassing.

When I was backpacking Australia back in 03 I caught a group of Americans on Magnetic island with Canadian flags seen on their bags.

Pretty sure some people care TS

I never had problem meeting anyone while traveling. Usually the conversations about where I am from don't start until we talked for like 30+ mins.

Never met a horrible US person in my travels, actually all the ones I've met have been nothing but nice and friendly. I worked with some at an Arctic lodge called Arctic Watch for a summer, we all got along really well with lots of jokes.

I don't put anything Canadian related on my clothing or luggage's, but if people I, i'm happy to say that I'm from Canada...which usually follows with where in Canada, and they all seem to be happy to have met an Inuk. So that's more conversations right there.

A few points:

2. You look like a twat.

3. Stop it.

Over the last few years I’ve been seeing it more and more. Do other nationalities do this?

I can understand why people do this - they don't want to be labeled as American because of our accents

<Fedor23>

Soon Canadian tourists will be universally hated because of fucking Americans with Canadian flags on their backpacks fucking everything up for the true north strong and free.

I once banged a Dutch chick cause I was Canadian. WWll still has lingering effects.

What, why they hate you?

There are a thousand reasons, but let's start at what I believe is the core: You're the most powerful nation on Earth. That makes you the bad guy in the propaganda of a lot of nations.
No, what countries have more freedom.

Stereotypical Americans pale in comparison to the nouveau riche Chinese going around fucking up all the nice parts of the world.

Lived overseas for over 10 years. Never had an issue being an American nor did I hide it or flaunt it. But in these types of conversations its always "some Europeans were mean to me because I was American." Im sure you really got experience local culture with your two week back packing trip.

I once banged a Dutch chick cause I was Canadian. WWll still has lingering effects.

The only reason I exist is because of WWII and my dutch grandparents deciding to settle in Canada after getting their shit pushed in during the war. And then my Mom went ahead and married a German guy.

Watching MMAHour and even Ariel Helwani is running the Canadian flag....so nobody will think he's American. lol. I'm proud of my country, but we sure have a bad reputation.

24qu5xc.jpg

Watching MMAHour and even Ariel Helwani is running the Canadian flag....so nobody will think he's American. lol. I'm proud of my country, but we sure have a bad reputation.

24qu5xc.jpg

Ariel reminding the masses he is canadian only hurts canada

A few points:

2. You look like a twat.

3. Stop it.

Its so they dont get mistaken for Americans and get preyed upon by locals

“They don’t people to think they’re American” thing is lame as fuck. Just tell people you’re Canadian if you chat with them.

Also, in Asia, a very small percentage of people speak English. Why would they assume someone is American and not Canadian or European?

24qu5xc.jpg

I forgot he was Canadian. Ariel, Bieber, Nickelback...Canada dropped 3 atomic stink bombs on us and we did nothing.
<{cruzshake}>

“They don’t people to think they’re American” thing is lame as fuck. Just tell people you’re Canadian if you chat with them.

Also, in Asia, a very small percentage of people speak English. Why would they assume someone is American and not Canadian or European?

I wouldn't necessarily say a "very small percentage". I think it depends on the country and region, and plenty of people have the basics.
In my experience though, most people just assume all white foreigners are American...or maybe British if you're dressed smartly. And if you're black, you're just from Africa, or in the American military.
Most Asian's exposure to the West is via media, which is mostly American and British. It's been that way for so long that any other media from another country will just be assumed to be American or British.

Lived overseas for over 10 years. Never had an issue being an American nor did I hide it or flaunt it. But in these types of conversations its always "some Europeans were mean to me because I was American." Im sure you really got experience local culture with your two week back packing trip.
I've lived overseas for quite a while as well, and I've seen the same thing.
I do think there are quite a few people that have never been a minority before, they come over, and they think they have been victimized, and now they 'finally know what racism is like'. They've been traveling for 2 weeks and think they know the language and culture.

I've had plenty of conversations with Europeans and South Africans who like to take the piss. They'll give Americans shit about political things, and we'll have conversations about them--(a lot of times I find that they are more knowledgeable about American politics than your average American) but I've never had any truly aggressive confrontations.

French people give everyone hell over their accents. Parisians are notorious for being dicks about this. Even to people from other parts of France. I'm relatively young but it's gotten better since I was a child.
Those effing Parisians...
Amirite, eh?

q1Av1eS

q1Av1eS

q1Av1eS

Back