Little Canada flags stitched onto backpacks while traveling abroad.

You’re thinking of the animosity between English speaking and French speaking Canadians. That is something else.
My French friend has massacred hundreds of Canadians.

There must be a reason behind that.

I have a US military issued backpack i got from a surplus store that I travel with.

1.) Because 99% of my trips it can fit everything I need in it.

2.) When I would travel to Guatemala, there was a practice in villages where people to sneak up behind travelers to cut the bottom of your pack, to try and steal your shit. So, I thought it would be best if I got something more heavy duty than a Jansport.

That being said, I always feel a little guilty because everyone thinks I'm in the service when I travel anywhere. I never pretend that I am, but it can get a little awkward at times.

I am Canadian.

We do this so the enemies of America don’t target us.

If you go to France or London certain cultures hate America.

Well Canada's an American ally so our enemies are your enemies.

As for London, who hates Americans in London? Maybe Muslims.

Many people cannot easily distinguish between a USA and a Canadian accent, at least on first impression...therefore Canadians want to make it known that they aren't Americans so people won't talk to them like they would talk to a child or simple minded person.

I have a US military issued backpack i got from a surplus store that I travel with.

1.) Because 99% of my trips it can fit everything I need in it.

2.) When I would travel to Guatemala, there was a practice in villages where people to sneak up behind travelers to cut the bottom of your pack, to try and steal your shit. So, I thought it would be best if I got something more heavy duty than a Jansport.

That being said, I always feel a little guilty because everyone thinks I'm in the service when I travel anywhere. I never pretend that I am, but it can get a little awkward at times.
Haha ya I had that problem going through an airport.

The worst was when they tried to give me military discount... never used it again.

Many people cannot easily distinguish between a USA and a Canadian accent, at least on first impression...therefore Canadians want to make it known that they aren't Americans so people won't talk to them like they would talk to a child or simple minded person.
Hilarious....most experienced American travelers are lying if they say they have never pretended to be Canadian at some point.

I have this instead

images

A few points:

1. Nobody cares you’re from Canada.

2. You look like a twat.

3. Stop it.

Over the last few years I’ve been seeing it more and more. Do other nationalities do this?

I’m Canadian by the way. I find this shit embarrassing.

I assumed it was only Americans that did the Canadian flag thing.

Years ago, a foreign language teacher chaperoned a number of kids from my school to a trip to Europe. Part of the packing list she gave the students were Canadian flags to be sewed on their backpacks. It caused quite a few letters to the editor in our local paper.

I'm American I've been over seas plenty of times and everyone can tell I'm American. I've never felt like anyone was rude or mean to me for being American and a lot want to talk with me to see what I think about the current US politics in a friendly manner.

This.

In all of my travels, when asked, I say "I'm from America" and I've never had a problem.

You must have a low set of beliefs if you assume someone is going to treat your poorly because of your country on your passport.

"Honey, don't forget to sew the Canadian flag on your backpack as we travel to Awesomestan. After all, those people may not like us because we are enlightened Americans."

If that is the way you think, please stop traveling abroad.

I find it more embarrassing you typed "backback" and didn't correct it to "backpacks" you seal clubbing igloo living maple syrup drinking fuck.
Logged on for the first time in 6 months to like this comment

This thread was more obnoxious than whatever people put on their backpacks.

I was working as a tour guide in Europe when 9/11 happened. A few weeks later, I was in a McDonald’s in Florence. There was a large group of Canadian teens on a school field trip. They were completely decked out in red and white. Canadian flags everywhere. Way over the top. So I said

“Where you guys from?”

Hilarious....most experienced American travelers are lying if they say they have never pretended to be Canadian at some point.
Experienced American travelers in Africa also pretend to be South African.

Who hates Canada? They're the Moe of countries.

The lumber jacket and the beard do the trick for me. No flag required.

This.

In all of my travels, when asked, I say "I'm from America" and I've never had a problem.

You must have a low set of beliefs if you assume someone is going to treat your poorly because of your country on your passport.

"Honey, don't forget to sew the Canadian flag on your backpack as we travel to Awesomestan. After all, those people may not like us because we are enlightened Americans."

If that is the way you think, please stop traveling abroad.
I've lived abroad for about 10 years, and grew up travelling around and living in different parts of the world.
I've never said I'm Canadian. And ive never had issues with people, and ive been to places in the Middle East, and a few others that aren't known to love America.
(In fairness, i think being from California helps, people seem to think of California, or other famous places like NY or Hawaii as different )

You won't change the perception of Americans if you hide it. Say you're American, and then don't be a fuckhead. Leave a good impression. It really isn't that difficult. Most people do not want to have a fist fight with you, unless you're actually doing something obnoxiously American
Lol why give another country all the good press?

You’re thinking of the animosity between English speaking and French speaking Canadians. That is something else.

I'm sure the French think the French Canadians speak stupid. I wouldn't go as far as saying they dislike the French Canadians but in terms of accent, I've heard a few French people comment about the accent.

Theyre called flagbaggers.

Aussies do it too, same reason.

Back