Jones VS Sonnen Stoppage

Status
Not open for further replies.
could have gone on a little longer but chael wasn't going anywhere, he would have just been beasted on with some more elbows.

well that wasn't exactly a main event ref

Bit early but this shit is always going to happen.

I am not a Chael fan making excuses lol Im being real man, with how much time the fight had left in that round, and being a title fight, I think it was stopped early.

LOL @ people saying he was defending. He was quitting. Curled into a ball and was gonna stay that way until the ref stopped it. Exactly the same as the Anderson fight.

I don't think it's that simple. Quality of defense is on a sliding scale. His defense wasn't great, but he wasn't in imminent danger either. It warranted a warning from the referee to "fight back" or "improve position." Another 10 seconds with nothing changing and the stoppage is fine. But when a guy's not taking big damage or in imminent danger, it's fine for him to take a moment, cover up, and figure out how he's going to get out of there.

You have to compare the level of damage and quality of defense to the speed of the stoppage. More damage or less defense, quicker stoppage. That was just way too quick for a guy that wasn't in imminent danger, even if he wasn't doing anything to improve his position yet.

I completely agree with this although Sonnen was quite stuck against the fence, not sure how he would have been able to get away from this but anything can happens in a fight.

Yeah ok. 27 more seconds of Jon Jones pounding in Chael Sonnen's head would have left him (Sonnen) with permanent brain damage. For those who believe it was too early, it would have come against him because he was doing very little to fight back and minimize incoming damage.

Ref hurries the stoppage then Jones toe shows broken, kind of weird... just saying.

It was called way to early. Chael was still intelligently defending himself.

I just hope this doesn't become a trend with refs...I can see though, for the ref, in how bad chael looks when he covers because he is tucking and curling up. Just looks bad.

Stoppage was bad. The fact that the fight was seen as a mismatch made the ref stop it early. No way if Jones was in that position would the fight have been stopped.

So turtling up and providing 0 retaliation whilst getting rained on by elbows and punches constitutes as "intelligently defending yourself"...you guys are HILARIOUS. Jones is on another level to Chael and just proved it.

You're right. Refs always stop it when someone is getting struck while on the ground. We've never seen a guy take a beating on the ground and continue. Guys never ride out a beating to make the bell.

Jones is clearly better and was dominating but that fight wasn't over when it was stopped.

Given Sonnen's history of turtling up and praying for the ref to save him it was a good stoppage.

Very similar to the way Sonnen turtled up against Silva.

Knee to the chest then some gnp.

Sonnen was done.

You do have a point, he was still blocking the blows for the most part...though he would have to have escaped or something because I don't know if he coudlve held up for the rest of the round

It was a tad early stoppage, but in retro it was a good thing the ref did stop it early because if he didn't Chael would be the champ right now.

LOL @ people saying he was defending. He was quitting. Curled into a ball and was gonna stay that way until the ref stopped it. Exactly the same as the Anderson fight.

Except he was eating major blows by Anderson. Jones was hitting the arms if anything beside the knee.

Well, looks like Sonnen has fate with triangle and knees lol

It was called way to early. Chael was still intelligently defending himself.
One word: move. He wasn't moving. He was lying down with his head covered, and he was taking some huge shots.
So turtling up and providing 0 retaliation whilst getting rained on by elbows and punches constitutes as "intelligently defending yourself"...you guys are HILARIOUS. Jones is on another level to Chael and just proved it.
It's one thing to do that, but it's another thing if you aren't moving. Chael wasn't moving or trying to move. When guys turtle like that, if they're really in the fight and are intelligently defending themselves, they are moving as much as they can to get out of that bad situation. Either Chael Sonnen was unable to do that against Anderson (the 2nd time) and JBJ or he wasn't smart enough to do that. In both cases the former is obviously the right answer.
The fight should have been stopped the day it was announced. This is a late stoppage.
LMAO. Probably the most accurate description of this fight.

I honestly thought it was a little early but I don't think Chael was getting out of that.

That last barrage of strikes Jon hit Chael with was fucking crazy.

Free Josh Rosenthal!

Brock-Lesnar-vs-Shane-carwin.jpg

It's a bit early but he wasn't really defending. It's too bad he didn't survive long enough since Bones had the broken toe.

Early stoppage, but ref saved sonnen from a lot of punishment, so understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back