Jones VS Sonnen Stoppage

Status
Not open for further replies.
So turtling up and providing 0 retaliation whilst getting rained on by elbows and punches constitutes as "intelligently defending yourself"...you guys are HILARIOUS. Jones is on another level to Chael and just proved it.

I don't think it's that simple. Quality of defense is on a sliding scale. His defense wasn't great, but he wasn't in imminent danger either. It warranted a warning from the referee to "fight back" or "improve position." Another 10 seconds with nothing changing and the stoppage is fine. But when a guy's not taking big damage or in imminent danger, it's fine for him to take a moment, cover up, and figure out how he's going to get out of there.

You have to compare the level of damage and quality of defense to the speed of the stoppage. More damage or less defense, quicker stoppage. That was just way too quick for a guy that wasn't in imminent danger, even if he wasn't doing anything to improve his position yet.

Sonnen wasn't getting up, stoppage was fine. Jones haters are mad as fuck and are grasping at the fact Jones injured his toe.

It was called way to early. Chael was still intelligently defending himself.

I disagree. Chael was intelligently trying to defend himself but just because a guy doesn't go out doesn't mean the fight's not over. Sonnen could have received permanent damage from those strikes and he already will facially, as his nose is destroyed. Good chins are good chins and Sonnen was getting hit cleanly over and over. That shit can kill someone, especially when the striker is as powerful as Jones.

Respect to Chael for trying to defend himself and having a chin of granite, but he wasn't actually defending himself.

carwin-pummels-lesnar-eric-jamison-ap.jpg

Lesnar+vs+Carwin+5+-+Fitness+Philippines.jpg

when the ref told brock to fight back, he responded and maneuvered. chael continued to lay there

Rosenthal is famous for letting fights go long.

It was a bit early, but I don't think it would have changed the result. I think Chael still would have been finished before the round ended.

haha chael said he didn't disagree with the stoppage, but you sorry fucks are...:rolleyes:

He is a guy who represents the UFC directly by being a broadcast analyst. Of course he isn't going to stomp around saying the stoppage was bad, and he pretty much did say the stoppage was bad. He said he felt he had tons and thought it was early left he obviously disagrees with the stoppage silently.

Chael might say he was fine with it but as a fan the reffing sucks!

Bit early, but nothing to fuss about.

I don't think it's that simple. Quality of defense is on a sliding scale. His defense wasn't great, but he wasn't in imminent danger either. It warranted a warning from the referee to "fight back" or "improve position." Another 10 seconds with nothing changing and the stoppage is fine. But when a guy's not taking big damage or in imminent danger, it's fine for him to take a moment, cover up, and figure out how he's going to get out of there.

You have to compare the level of damage and quality of defense to the speed of the stoppage. More damage or less defense, quicker stoppage. That was just way too quick for a guy that wasn't in imminent danger, even if he wasn't doing anything to improve his position yet.

He was eating clean shots for a good 7 or 8 seconds with no answer and showed no ability to change the predicament. Decent stoppage, IMO.

Also I will never complain about a stoppage when the fighter who lost sees the replay and says it was okay during the post-fight.

Early stoppage for sure. Fight shouldn't of been made anyways though. Bones was throwing a beating on Sonnen. Jones would of finished Sonnen eventually even without the early stoppage.

Did you not see bones toe? The fight was over no matter what, and Chael said it was a good stoppage.

First, Jones did not even notice it until after the fight was over, there is no guarantee someone would have stopped it had the round ended.

Second, yeah the ref probably should have let it go a little longer but does anyone here honestly think Sonnen would have survived another 30 seconds of abuse?

I'll echo what's already been said here. I thought it was early, considering it was a title fight and Chael was able to jump up right after, but Jones clearly outclassed him. The only way Sonnen would have won is by surviving the round and a doctor stoppage from that toe. That would have been pointless and idiotic, so the early stoppage was actually good if you look at the net effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back