Is Prime Hughes a better wrestler than Tyron Woodley?

no the Renzo Gracie fight
Forgot they fought - but then again, I never saw it. I was kind of being facetious, but it would've been pretty funny to find out his one standing KO was due to wrestling

If your talking about Rory you must understand, Rory fought a brilliant fight and was able to mix up his attack enough to get the opening. Matt doesn't have half the skill and ability that Rory has in terms of pure striking, if you can't keep your opponent guessing your gonna struggle to get your opponent down no matter how poor their Tdd is. Matt relied a lot on pure brute strength, he's not gonna overpower Tyron at any point, so he'd need to improvise and I don't think he could before being knocked out.

I can agree with this.

Join date 2015 ? Tell me more about how Hughes is overrated.
Even though I completely disagree with this dude, don't judge a man on he's join date..

Some of the old boys are peacefully on their alt. accounts..

;)

Nobody at welterweight can take down and hold down Woodley, unless you make him tired and that mean winning the striking and avoid the takedown yourself.
Hughes has nothing for Woodley.

Forgot they fought - but then again, I never saw it. I was kind of being facetious, but it would've been pretty funny to find out his one standing KO was due to wrestling
yeah it would've been funny you know training with some of the fighters from MFS it must've drove him crazy his standup never got to the point where it needed to be. As for the fight it wasn't worth it Renzo was old and out of shape would've been alot better in the early 2000's but Zuffa needed some of that Abu Dhabi money.

Even so, that's got nothing to do with Hughes accomplishments or his status in WW history. Hughes is a much more accomplished mma fighter than Woodley, more entertaining too. Which is what I was alluding too.

I watched Hughes whole career, most of Woodley now as well....I never liked Hughes as a fighter, was in awe of his power as it is like my own power, but I dont for a second think Hughes beats Woodley, and I actually like in many ways Woodley fights as no matter what, he is a smart fighter and in todays game that is the only way it is....the old days was Just bleed are long over, pople cause damage still, but few will jsut stand and trade, good for fans, but stupid fighting.

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect

Lmfao at saying Woodley can outwrestle Askren. There is literally footage of guys at Roufusport saying that Woodley can't touch Askren at all when they're wrestling.

comparing a fringe all-american to a multi-time NCAA champ, thats a no-no

I don't think so. When Woodley actually uses his wrestling it's excellent. Hughes wouldn't be able to take down wonderboy like Woodley did.

Tough to say Hughes style was take downs and BJJ whereas Woodley is wrestling and striking.

Hughes also had monster cardio.

Hughes looked awful setting up his takedowns against strikers at the end of his career but Woodley also has looked awful on the ground against a guy like Paul Daley.

I suspect Woodley edges it whilst fresh but don't know either way.

It's difficult to compare. Hughes dominated when standard wrestling wasn't a thing yet. He was still able to slam a young GSP, that's pretty impressive. If Hughes was in his prime today, would he have better wrestling than Woodley? I think he'd be comparable for sure. He'd also probably be a lightweight.

Up5mmi.gif

Last edited:
Woodley is coached by ben askren so I'm gonna say woodley has better wrestling

I watched Hughes whole career, most of Woodley now as well....I never liked Hughes as a fighter, was in awe of his power as it is like my own power, but I dont for a second think Hughes beats Woodley, and I actually like in many ways Woodley fights as no matter what, he is a smart fighter and in todays game that is the only way it is....the old days was Just bleed are long over, pople cause damage still, but few will jsut stand and trade, good for fans, but stupid fighting.

I didn't argue that. IMO, he probably does too but it's not about that. You don't measure ones accomplishments on their abilities at the time, Hughes has the more memorable career, more title defenses and the bigger names but he fought in an era were the sport was still rapidly growing, freestyle mma fighters per say were a pretty rare breed. He without question, has had the better WW career.

You can't match them up as they were from different times, who knows what sort of abilities Matt Hughes may of had if he had access to the training camps, modern medicine and supplements & methods Woodley has been accustomed too.

I didn't argue that. IMO, he probably does too but it's not about that. You don't measure ones accomplishments on their abilities at the time, Hughes has the more memorable career, more title defenses and the bigger names but he fought in an era were the sport was still rapidly growing, freestyle mma fighters per say were a pretty rare breed. He without question, has had the better WW career.

You can't match them up as they were from different times, who knows what sort of abilities Matt Hughes may of had if he had access to the training camps, modern medicine and supplements & methods Woodley has been accustomed too.

I cant argue that, I would like to hope woodley has a solid career ahead of him and maybe in 5-10 years we can actually talk about who had a better legacy, cause right now, one is still building one.

Hughes fought in an era during which most fighters were strong in only one discipline. Hughes was a wrestler and that's how he fought.

The modern era is much different and fighters are far more well rounded. Woodley uses his wrestling to dictate how and where the fight will be fought.

To answer the question I would say Hughes is the better wrestler because he actually use it to beat all types of other disciplines

if the fight were now, and hughes was prime but still skilled from his time of fighting, he gets his ass kicked hard. the skill sets back then were not like now, i doubt woodley has much problem at all.
That doesn't mean he was overrated though. Prime Hughes (2003-2006) was one of the best fighters ever.

There's really no basis for saying that Woodley is a better wrestler than Hughes. Hughes certainly used his wrestling in MMA more than Woodley does. He became a dominant champion primarily because of his wrestling. When was the last time Woodley utilized a wrestling-dominant strategy to win a fight?

And Hughes was the slightly better amateur wrestler. I believe Woodley won one state title in high school, whereas Hughes won two state titles. And at the NCAA level, Woodley's best finish was 7th place, whereas Hughes placed 5th. I realize this is splitting hairs, but it simply highlights the point that Woodley accomplished less in wrestling and uses wrestling less than Hughes in MMA.

Where's the argument?
Woodley is also a 2x DI All American who also placed 5th. He also was University Nationals runner up in freestyle in a very strong class. Woodley also has a freestyle win over Joe Williams who was one of the best American wrestlers ever. Woodley has quite a few big wins in freestyle.

Hughes might have been the better wrestler but Woodley is the far superior fighter.

Back