Is Prime Hughes a better wrestler than Tyron Woodley?

Yes, but he would have next to zero chance of getting Tyron down, if that makes sense.

I cant say on the wrestling mats but in that octagon.....yea Matt was better

And according to Twood he has the best stand-up in the division too

Still trying to figure out what I dont like about him.....

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect
Askren outwrestles Woodley on one leg

Sherbros, help me in this one pls!

They're impossible to compare.

Hughes's greatest attribute was his ability to take it to his opponent in an offensive whirlwind, and to respond with double fury when his opponent tried to take it to him.

Woodley's greatest attribute is his ability to neutralize his opponent with his defensive shell, and to make his opponent respond by going into a defensive shell of his own.

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect
Tyron against prime gsp would go just how gsp vs kos went. He probably prays every night that Rory left. Woodley had absolutely nothing for him and even got taken down. I'm not saying woodley sucks, cause he's a solid fighter, but he's been benefiting from the lack of quality fighters at WW lately.

It's hard to say. Woodley has crazy takedown defense but I don't remember him doing a lot of offensive wrestling. Whereas Hughes was agressive. He would slam you down and GnP you until TKO or you opened up a submission. He has more submissions than TKOs.

Agree on Hughes being more aggressive though I think it's also a factor of the competition during that time. To me it seemed like the big wave of wrestlers came through between 2008-2013 into the sport which was just after his prime which could be why he displayed more offensive wrestling.

If the two of them were to fight I don't think Matt would be as assertive with offensive wrestling and would have to time it better. For fighters coming up against Woodley they know he is a threat both in striking and wrestling (in my opinion stronger striking skills than Hughes).

There is no doubt that fighters today are more complete and train more in all disciplines so I don't know if Matt would have had as much of a stellar career against the current crop however based on his accomplishments he would be in the top 15 all time greats.

Most completely...tentative, safe, non-risk taking, intelligent fighters.

Who has he outwreslted?even Rory can take Tyron down.tyron is nothing special,he's just another wrestler with heavyhand

This.

I know that Tyron thinks he doesn't get the respect he deserves, but aside from the KO of Lawler (which isn't particularly surprising, given the way Robbie fights), and the takedown shutout of Maia (which isn't particularly surprising, considering the style match-up), he just hasn't done very much that is all that impressive.

Lost to Marquardt, Rory, and Jake.

Split decision over Kelvin.

Eked out a draw and a majority decision against Thompson.

Dude is literally three or four judges' eye blinks away from being 15-6 and beltless.

That's without even bringing up Condit's knee blowout, or the Mein split.

Dude's a good fighter, don't get me wrong... but he's done nothing that I can see to establish himself as being head and shoulders above the rest of the top of the WW division.

Out wrestle Askren? I don't think so...

Who has he outwreslted?even Rory can take Tyron down.tyron is nothing special,he's just another wrestler with heavyhand
I tend to agree with this. In what fight did Woodley display stellar wrestling? Because I must have missed it. He has great take down defense, sure, but that doesn't automatically equal great wrestling.

No.

Woodley is the more talented wrestler. Hughes was just way farther ahead of the rest at the time with his wrestling.

If Tyron with this level of skill was around back then, he likely would look better than hughes.....

However, i still have Hughes as #2 WWOAT....

Dominance and longevity take mental strength....

For grapplers, you have GSP and then everyone else. Hughes may have been a little better at overall grappling than Woodley but Woodley is a much better striker. That said, most fights end on the ground/judges scorecards. I'd pick Hughes. Time will tell with Woodley but so far he is definitely at the top, elite level.

Who knows?

Both have comparable amateur resumes.

In MMA, Hughes was a lot more dominant with wrestling. But, he was one dimensional so he had to rely on it more.

Plus, the average fighter has better wrestling now than in Hughes' day.

Hughes looks across the octogon wondering if he left clothes in the dryer like normal.

Bell rings, he picks him up, carries him across the cage and dumps him on his ass against the cage. Then puts down a behind the barn beat down.

Over in 1/2 of a round.

Goes to an all night joint and gulps down a country breakfast. End of story.

Back