Is Prime Hughes a better wrestler than Tyron Woodley?

Askren outwrestles Woodley on one leg
Askreb very likely handles Woodley on the mat.

But in MMA, I think Askren's wrestling gets shut down.
Tyron against prime gsp would go just how gsp vs kos went. He probably prays every night that Rory left. Woodley had absolutely nothing for him and even got taken down. I'm not saying woodley sucks, cause he's a solid fighter, but he's been benefiting from the lack of quality fighters at WW lately.
Woodley is significantly better than prime Kos, IMO. I'd favor prime GSP over Tyron for sure, but Tyron would have a better shot than Kos did.

Also I think Woodley has improved since he fought Rory. I think that fight is closer today.

if the fight were now, and hughes was prime but still skilled from his time of fighting, he gets his ass kicked hard. the skill sets back then were not like now, i doubt woodley has much problem at all.

Even so, that's got nothing to do with Hughes accomplishments or his status in WW history. Hughes is a much more accomplished mma fighter than Woodley, more entertaining too. Which is what I was alluding too.

Not sure. One is explosive and the other has farm strength.

No but he was way more exciting and tried to finish his opponents.

I think a Prime Hughes would beat Woodley just for the fact that if Woodley is pushed in a grinding grappling match he's is built to gas out in a few rounds. Obviously Woodley has much better stand up but hey Wonderboy took his heaviest shots and still kept going, what makes you think Hughes couldn't in his prime if he just so happened to catch one?

People tend to forget Hughes mental toughness was second to none. The only time he really got broken in a fight was when he got older. Hughes's cardio was also very impressive, he could go hard for 5 rounds and still have energy. There is not a chance Woodley could go 5 rounds in a grueling grappling mma fight.

And as for Prime GSP, Woodley would have NO chance. Besides GSP's ability to change levels better then anyone in mma history, he is incredibly strong.

Thinking about it, the Thiago Alves that fought GSP back in the day would likely even beat Woodley. Back then he was a monster.

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect

No he can't.

Also: no he wouldn't.

Was way more effective at offensive wrestling.

hughes is a better wrestler than tyron

he is a better fighter than tyron

and he was a better champion than tyron

Askreb very likely handles Woodley on the mat.

But in MMA, I think Askren's wrestling gets shut down.

Woodley is significantly better than prime Kos, IMO. I'd favor prime GSP over Tyron for sure, but Tyron would have a better shot than Kos did.

Also I think Woodley has improved since he fought Rory. I think that fight is closer today.

i don't agree he was better than prime cos. he perhaps has better boxing, but I don't think he's as durable. Koscheck outstruck rumble for god sakes

Hallman beat Hughes in 1998, when Hallman actually was a beast during those early years.

Woodley is stronger, faster, more athletic and more decorated in wrestling. In pure wrestling, Tyron would kill him.

And Hughes uses his wrestling 100x better in MMA. Who has Tyron Woodley out wrestled? He's a lay and prayer from top position. His grappling sucks.

i don't agree he was better than prime cos. he perhaps has better boxing, but I don't think he's as durable. Koscheck outstruck rumble for god sakes
WW Rumble was not the same guy.

Also, Kos repeatedly eyepoking Rumble - and faking getting eyepoked by Rumble - played big roles in that fight.

Just a bit off topic.. but how is Hughes? hows he recovery going now?. I haven't heard anything since a few weeks ago. I hope he is doing much better

I'd say Hughes was better at wrestling and Woodley is better at holding up the cage with his back.

Woodley is stronger, faster, more athletic and more decorated in wrestling. In pure wrestling, Tyron would kill him.

And Hughes uses his wrestling 100x better in MMA. Who has Tyron Woodley out wrestled? He's a lay and prayer from top position. His grappling sucks.

His top game looked a lot better than it used to in his Strikeforce days when he took Thompson in their first fight. Hughes was always the better offensive grappler, though (I wouldn't say he had better takedowns, but he had a better top game). Woodley would be a clear favourite if they ever fought, though, as Hughes was never much of a striker, and I doubt he'd have all that much success getting Woodley down.

Back