Is Prime Hughes a better wrestler than Tyron Woodley?

No

Prime Hughes is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA history.
A guy who's very rarely even talked about nowadays with wins over GSP, BJ Penn, Carlos Newton (2x), among others = one of the most overrated fighters in MMA history

Only on Sherdog

Last edited:
Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect
Woodley can't wrestle for much more than a round a fight or else he risks gassing himself out so I wonder how he'd outwrestle 3 of the most decorated wrestlers in MMA history in one night

For that one round per fight tho, he's one of the best ever

Woodleys opponents have better TDD than Hughes former opponents

Hughes much better wrestler and Woodley wrestling is overrated, wait until he fights someone with an actual legit wrestling skills that doesn't throw half arsed shots like the others

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect
Complete?? Dude can't even throw a left and just stands on the cage, complete my ass. Rory Mac is the definition of "complete" fighter.

Looks like we have a Newton fan

Brawl at the Hall, Newton was robbed.

He choked Hughes' ass out; the ref (Big John?) fucked up.

Carlos got his clock cleaned in the match-up, but they should be 1 - 1.

Begging my pardon @savemgs, it was at UFC 34 that that controversial ending happened (memory lapse; long time ago), not Brawl at the Hall.

Point stands.

Didn't Nate Marquardt stuff him repeatedly? Didn't Jake Shields as well? Didn't The Red King? Those fights aren't from that long ago.

I mean call me crazy but I'd want to say yes?

Don't mean to take credit away from Woodley, but Hughes has wins over Carlos Newton x2, GSP, and two of the Gracie's just to name a few albeit not all by submission.... On the other hand Woodley has a dec win over Maia and loss to Shields who are the only real heavy threat grapplers he's faced.

It's hard to say. Woodley has crazy takedown defense but I don't remember him doing a lot of offensive wrestling. Whereas Hughes was agressive. He would slam you down and GnP you until TKO or you opened up a submission. He has more submissions than TKOs.

Go back and watch his fights in Strikeforce. He used to be known as one of the most boring fighters in MMA because he wrestled so much lol. Nowadays I don't think he has the cardio for it, so he's more boxing oriented.

Everyone I have heard talk about Hughes says that he was beastly strong. That is a factor too.

Tyrode Boodley is shitty wrestler. Hasn't show any of his skills cuz he's got no!

Well, a non-wrestler did it. So...
If your talking about Rory you must understand, Rory fought a brilliant fight and was able to mix up his attack enough to get the opening. Matt doesn't have half the skill and ability that Rory has in terms of pure striking, if you can't keep your opponent guessing your gonna struggle to get your opponent down no matter how poor their Tdd is. Matt relied a lot on pure brute strength, he's not gonna overpower Tyron at any point, so he'd need to improvise and I don't think he could before being knocked out.

If your talking about Rory you must understand, Rory fought a brilliant fight and was able to mix up his attack enough to get the opening. Matt doesn't have half the skill and ability that Rory has in terms of pure striking, if you can't keep your opponent guessing your gonna struggle to get your opponent down no matter how poor their Tdd is. Matt relied a lot on pure brute strength, he's not gonna overpower Tyron at any point, so he'd need to improvise and I don't think he could before being knocked out.

Never underestimate the power of the farm.

I think Hughes could overpower him, hay bails are heavy

And according to Twood he has the best stand-up in the division too

Still trying to figure out what I dont like about him.....

thompson was supposed to be the best striker in the division. All he managed to do was avoid getting ko'd for 50 minutes on the feet, so...

This.

I know that Tyron thinks he doesn't get the respect he deserves, but aside from the KO of Lawler (which isn't particularly surprising, given the way Robbie fights), and the takedown shutout of Maia (which isn't particularly surprising, considering the style match-up), he just hasn't done very much that is all that impressive.

Lost to Marquardt, Rory, and Jake.

Split decision over Kelvin.

Eked out a draw and a majority decision against Thompson.

Dude is literally three or four judges' eye blinks away from being 15-6 and beltless.

That's without even bringing up Condit's knee blowout, or the Mein split.

Dude's a good fighter, don't get me wrong... but he's done nothing that I can see to establish himself as being head and shoulders above the rest of the top of the WW division.
Preach brother

I wouldn't mind him so much but after all the stuff you listed, Tyron is still so full of himself.

Back