Is Prime Hughes a better wrestler than Tyron Woodley?

Not necessarily. Their credentials are pretty similar, both 2x NCAA D1 All-Americans, with Tyron being a Big12 champ. I think Tyron is way too athletic for Hughes though, and at the height of their amateur career probably would have taken Hughes.

That's funny, If I remember correctly Woodley was known as one of the worst LNP-fighters before he came to the UFC and started KO'ing people.

That's interesting! I remember him kind of being boring. Or moreso it's frustrating b/c he clearly has the power and the ability to be aggressive and dominant and stop people. But he plays it safe. I can't stand him inside or outside the octagon to be honest.

I might be off a bit.. But go back and watch some of Hughes earlier fights.. Sherk, Newton.. He was huge.. I think a decent amount of guys as they age don’t lifts weights as much maybe/could be result of aging.. I’m off the rails here... what was the point... ah..
I agree. I think she has a good but to do with guys getting smaller/less muscular. But I also think its a shift in training styles. In the midst of the Zuffa Boom in the middle/late 2000s guys realized that training more like a bodybuilder wasn't ideal. Rich Franklin was another guy who's physique changed to become less muscled.

You mean looking like Phil Baroni circa 2005 wasn’t the ideal path to take...

I think Woodley is a better Wrestler when it comes to MMA and certainly a better Striker. Hughes was better with submissions though.

Hughes was great but he dominated a division that arguably isn't as talent filled as it is now and that's why he's currently the number 2 greatest WW of all time behind GSP. Woodley is catching that stat up though.

Back