Is Prime Hughes a better wrestler than Tyron Woodley?

It's hard to say. Woodley has crazy takedown defense but I don't remember him doing a lot of offensive wrestling. Whereas Hughes was agressive. He would slam you down and GnP you until TKO or you opened up a submission. He has more submissions than TKOs.

No

Prime Hughes is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA history.

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect

I don't know if he was better so much as he wasn't well-rounded, and thus relied just about entirely on wrestling.

Objectively speaking, he did much more wrestling in MMA than Woodley, but that's not to say he was better at it.

No

Prime Hughes is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA history.
Hughes was the man in the day. His stand up wasn't great but he was a good wrestler and he had a pretty good submission game too. He was incredibly strong.

<{hughesimpress}> Even Matt doesn't think so<{hughesimpress}>..

Hughes wrestling is better. Its his K-1 barnyard pounding that is lacking. Ask Goldberg about it

Prime Hughes would take prime Woodley out behind the barn and give him a pounding.

<6>

I'll say this, prime Hughes displayed much more offensive wrestling than Woodley has, and it was very high level MMA-wrestling. Woodley has shown great defense, and a lot of offense overall in his career, but not much recently.

Wasn't sure if you wanted to factor in amateur wrestling. They had very similarly successful wrestling careers. Both of their resumes are built around being 2x NCAA DI All Americans and they both have a few other pretty nice accolades to go with that. Hughes was a 2x state champ in HS and a HS All American in scholastic/folk style. Woodley was a high school all American in scholastic/folk style, and he was all state, but never a state champ. Hughes was all American twice in JUCO, Woodley placed 2nd at a University national championships in freestyle. Very similar wrestling careers.

Last edited:
It's hard to say. Woodley has crazy takedown defense but I don't remember him doing a lot of offensive wrestling. Whereas Hughes was agressive. He would slam you down and GnP you until TKO or you opened up a submission. He has more submissions than TKOs.
and only one of his knockouts came while standing

Country breakfast Hughes was possibly the greatest MMA wrestler the sport has seen

Woodley could outwreslte GSP, Askren and Hughes on the same night, but in reality he would just KTFO them. Tyron is one of the most complete mixed martial artists on the roster right now, respect

2009 GSP would TD and outwresle Woodley and any other WW all day. Get over your Tyron love.

He won't outwrestle Askren either, but would probably keep it standing enough to win a decision.

Who has he outwreslted?even Rory can take Tyron down.tyron is nothing special,he's just another wrestler with heavyhand

Tough to say. Their primes were so far apart that their only common opponent is Koscheck who was pretty much a spent force when he fought Woodley and wasn't much better when he fought Hughes....who was also spent when they fought.

Both have great wrestling. Hughes has a much better offensive submission game and Woodley has much better striking on the feet.

Join date 2015 ? Tell me more about how Hughes is overrated.

if the fight were now, and hughes was prime but still skilled from his time of fighting, he gets his ass kicked hard. the skill sets back then were not like now, i doubt woodley has much problem at all.

There's really no basis for saying that Woodley is a better wrestler than Hughes. Hughes certainly used his wrestling in MMA more than Woodley does. He became a dominant champion primarily because of his wrestling. When was the last time Woodley utilized a wrestling-dominant strategy to win a fight?

And Hughes was the slightly better amateur wrestler. I believe Woodley won one state title in high school, whereas Hughes won two state titles. And at the NCAA level, Woodley's best finish was 7th place, whereas Hughes placed 5th. I realize this is splitting hairs, but it simply highlights the point that Woodley accomplished less in wrestling and uses wrestling less than Hughes in MMA.

Where's the argument?

Back