Is Jose Aldo a better fighter than Shogun?

Aldo easily. But gotta love prime Shogun.

Pre bad knees Shogun beats pre Conor 13 seconds Aldo. 9/10 times

I think Shogun in top form is better. Everyone knows hes had a list of injuries that kept him from competing at his best, but when hes on a roll, theres no stopping him.

So he was better ... for one year?

Big fan of both. Think it comes down to a matter of opinion. Aldo and his great championship run or Shogun and his legendary Pride fights. Going with Aldo but hard decision.

So he was better ... for one year?

Negative. Shogun has been better the whole time. His injuries/surgeries kept him from competing at his full potential. Both have their credentials, but I feel like aside from Jones, Shogun is the best LHW ever. His resume speaks for itself.

Its just a personal opinion. Both were/are great fighters. You can make a case for either. Just depends on which of the two youd prefer to push.

He's the 2nd best LHW without a doubt. Destroyed rampage, chuck liddell, arona, overeem x2, Machida, lil nog, and etc...

Lol how about no? How about all the guy who beat him?(Griffin,Gustafsson,St. Preux,Hendo 2x,SONNEN)

One of them fought full size men, the other...manlets.

Negative. Shogun has been better the whole time. His injuries/surgeries kept him from competing at his full potential. Both have their credentials, but I feel like aside from Jones, Shogun is the best LHW ever. His resume speaks for itself.

Its just a personal opinion. Both were/are great fighters. You can make a case for either. Just depends on which of the two youd prefer to push.

Sound more like u saying he could've, would've should've... but didnt.

Lol is this a serious question? Jose Aldo is an all-time great. Shogun keeps living off his 2005. He is not even the best 205er.
I think Shogun's best day vs Aldo's best day if we were able to magically equalize for size would edge out the win but if you are talking Career vs Career then Aldo wins. He was so dominant for so long and so consistently.

You can't be serious, man. In terms of skillset Aldo and Shogun aren't in the same league. Aldo is obviously much more skilled pretty much everywhere (except foot stomps).

This. How tf does any fan actually say shoguns the better fight with a straight face. During his prime he was an absolute beast, and beat some elite fighters, but Aldo was even better than that, and just a once in a lifetime level of fighter.

He just met his ultimate stylistic nightmare in Conor, and there's no doubt he lost to Max, more frim age, and wear and tear, then a skill gap.

Aldo had him damn near blasted out within the first few seconds, and a younger Aldo would've been able to keep that pace for all 5, and use his leg kicks, and lightning speed to outland him all night.

Like another poster said, hes one of the greatest fighters over ever seen compete in any form of combat sports.

Interesting question

I think they're fairly even considering the weight

ol how about no? How about all the guy who beat him?(Griffin,Gustafsson,St. Preux,Hendo 2x,SONNEN)

First off, you can't discredit what Shogun has done in his career just because of some losses. The dude was essentially undefeated in Pride (except for a BS loss to Coleman which he avanged in the UFC), winning the Pride Middleweight Grand Prix beating EVERYONE from Rampage, Lil Nog, Overeem (x2), Arona, and randleman. The dude was an absolute killer, and a ferocious fighter. Then he comes to the UFC, he loses his debut to Griffin, however he avenged the loss with a brutal KO. Goes on to defeat coleman (avenging his only BS pride loss), ice's Chuck, loses a very close fight to the then "mystical" and "unbeatable" machida in a close fight; only to avenge it with a brutal KO of Machida. The dude has been through so many wars and legendary fight, you can't discredit his accomplishments. Went undefeated in Pride and won the Grand Prix, came to the UFC and became world champion, AND he has defeated SIX former UFC champions.

I suggest you read my post about Shogun's best performances if you cant appreciate how good of a fighter Shogun is:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/shogun-ruas-best-performances.3556443/#post-131163889

If you honestly believe that Gustafsson, OSP, and Sonnen (even Griffin, since Shogun avenged the loss in brutal fashion) are better than Shogun, then you really fail to see how great Shogun was in his prime

Prime Jose Aldo is the most skilled MMA fighter of all time. Prime Shogun is a beast too.

Aldo pretty clearly

No disrespect to Shogun though he's still awesome

This is a question that always bugged me:

Is Peak Aldo better than a Peak Shogun?

What u guys say?

brazil_08.jpg

(Brazil's holy trinity imo)

there is no brazil holy trinity without Big Nog first of all.

secondly, at their peaks, both were amazing fighters. I think Jose was more technical with his striking, I think in MMA, Shogun was the better grappler offensively. Defensively, its hard to say anyone was better than Jose, he was like Cro Cop or Liddell for a while with legendary TDD. Shogun had more power IMO. Was more willing to engage in a firefight. But he still had great fight IQ during his peak.

hard to say, the real thing for me honestly is, that Shogun has always fought to finish his opponent. Even if he's won by decision, he's always tried to go out and end fights. I feel like sometimes, Jose fought more so not to lose than to go out and finish the fight. Or maybe more carefully at least since he was a title holder and it meant a lot to him to remain champion.

Aldo is the most all around skilled fighter in mma by a large margin.

Back