Is Conor diet a "paleo" type of diet? That might explain the fatigue.

Like who I'll check it out because I hate running.
Many examples. Ones I can think of right now are:
-Joe Valtellini (GLORY Kickboxing). Guy only does weight training and bagwork for S&C per his words. His cardio is spectacular. Goes hard the whole fight.
-James Toney had great endurance in his prime. All he does iirc is spar and bagwork.
-Dominick Cruz. The guy can’t run because of his fucked up knees. Still goes hard for 5x5 rounds.

There are quite a few others that I simply can’t recall now. Point is, running can be so easily substituted with something less time-consuming and more sport-specific/productive.
Don’t get me wrong though. Sprinting for example is extremely important, as well as interval running if you’re a fighter. However, I don’t believe in slow, aerobic running.
Only instance where that is important is if you’re preparing for a 10/12 round boxing fight. There, aerobic endurance could start being a factor in the later rounds (8+).
However, none of us are pro boxers, and even if we were, most mid-tier pro boxers fight for 6-8 rounds.
Running is very overrated, especially in MMA and kickboxing.
In my experience, just spar and hit pads and bags hard for 4-minute rounds (or 6 minutes if you’re an MMA guy). You’ll be unstoppable.

Because he eats steak doesn't mean he's paleo? Paleo is a diet of no processed carbohydrates and sugar etc.

I started running 4-5 days a week, both aerobically and in intervals at higher speed months ago.
Now, my sparring cardio is literally the same as before. The one thing that does noticeably help my gas tank is bagwork. Rounds upon rounds of hitting the bag.
Running is a myth. I only do it because I feel good and my leg muscles get slightly stronger.

-James Toney had great endurance in his prime. All he does iirc is spar and bagwork.

Toney had good endurance because he had a style that didn't consume much energy and he was experienced and knew how to pace himself, this is what he got from hours of hard sparring where he honed his craft. The problem with this method is that you're going to end up punch drunk when your 40 just like Toney did.

Also Toney had problems with his weight and had to fight way above his natural weight class. If he was running he could have lost the excess weight and had a better career at his optimal weight at 160 or 168.

Boxing is a sport that's older than 100 years, if pretty much all the all time greats and champions did a lot of running then running is beneficial for fighting. If it wouldn't be it would be discarded at some point.

But obviously it's so typical that in the modern era you have people who think they're smarter than everybody before them due to understanding some "science" and think that they need to do everything differently and then they fail.

Ive been following a vegan diet for over a year now, and my cardio has gone through the roof. Before as a meat eater ive would run 2 miles in 14 mins 30 secs. Now i can run it in 12 mins

Hell, I'd say swimming long distance and sprints sounds more logical for fighter's cardio than running.

Toney had good endurance because he had a style that didn't consume much energy and he was experienced and knew how to pace himself, this is what he got from hours of hard sparring where he honed his craft. The problem with this method is that you're going to end up punch drunk when your 40 just like Toney did.

Also Toney had problems with his weight and had to fight way above his natural weight class. If he was running he could have lost the excess weight and had a better career at his optimal weight at 160 or 168.

Boxing is a sport that's older than 100 years, if pretty much all the all time greats and champions did a lot of running then running is beneficial for fighting. If it wouldn't be it would be discarded at some point.

But obviously it's so typical that in the modern era you have people who think they're smarter than everybody before them due to understanding some "science" and think that they need to do everything differently and then they fail.
Who failed?
The other two I listed have stellar cardio and don’t run for one second.
And yes, science should be paid attention to. Science is the reason today’s boxer would beat the ‘greats’ from a century ago.

Who failed?
The other two I listed have stellar cardio and don’t run for one second.

Dominick Cruz runs, he was seen on a treadmill during the embedded all the time.

I don't follow kickboxing and I don't know that other guy.

Ive been following a vegan diet for over a year now, and my cardio has gone through the roof. Before as a meat eater ive would run 2 miles in 14 mins 30 secs. Now i can run it in 12 mins
Being a vegan usually means lighter meals. Did you lose weight? How much running did you do before? That kind of improvement could happen by just training (running).

I personally don’t think running is the king of workouts. Sure it gets your cardio up, but it’s tough on ligaments, joints, knees, hips, feet... Then again, so is wrestling, judo, bjj.. Fuck. Everything is out there to kill your body. Better just go train with AKA already.

It's basic physiology, low carb = glycogen stores depleted = shit cardio.

And yeah, he's on one of those fad low carb paleo diets. Low carb diets put your body in a state of stress, to mobilize fats in absence of glucose the body has to constantly utilize adaptative stress hormones like adrenaline, cortisol (turns protein into glucose), your body needs to work overtime to turn something into the primary preferred fuel it could have right away.

Last edited:
GSP doesn't run. His explanation was it wasn't beneficial for his fighting style as much as it is for someone like Nick Diaz.

Every fighter with good cardio do roadwork.

My mom's into yoga and a healthy lifestyle.

She said that Paleo isn't good because animal meat is bad for you and cause health problems.

That's probably why he has low cardio. He needs to eat more kale. Like the ones they sell at Whole Foods.

-Kenny
Hey Kenny,

Any pictures of mom doing yoga to back up your claim?

-JayJay

I think Conor cant run. knees, ankles or something. Nothing like running to improve cardio. Watch floyd and other eilte boxers 5-7 miles of road work a day.

ive heard this because of the ACL damage he has taken

but if that is the case how do other sportsmen get by after ACL tears etc,

AND, you can have no ACL and still run in a straight line (its zig and zagging you couldn't do) so im sorry im not having that he cant run

there was a video aswell of him running up some stairs in a promo vid for that MacLife health stuff he does, and stairs would be much harder on the knees

I think he just goes for broke and is not intelligent in conserving his energy whatsoever

It's easy to get tired when you're carrying the sport on your back

At least during his weight cuts he was paleo until he started working with Lockhart, which was either for 194 or 202 when you start seeing carbs on his plate in embedded. Before that happened he even spoke about doing paleo a few times and I think Kavanagh was on it as well, which might as well have been where he picked it up.

Back