Is Conor diet a "paleo" type of diet? That might explain the fatigue.

You're the one writting broscience, I'm the one sticking to what every single elite fighter in boxing has been doing sine forever.

Carl Froch had the best cardio out of any fighter in the 00s so he must have been doing something right.
This is one of the worst arguments ever. Maybe he just had exceptional genetics. You can't know how well his cardio would've been had he been swimming instead of running.

It's an equally weak argument as 'my grandfather smoked 1 pack of cigarettes per day, and he reached 100 years of age, must have been doing something right' . Doesn't work like that.

I think Conor cant run. knees, ankles or something. Nothing like running to improve cardio. Watch floyd and other eilte boxers 5-7 miles of road work a day.

So much this. Running and sprints are just so fucking critical. It is so hard to develop real cardio without it. Running 5-7 miles a day at a brisk pace and doing sprints suck. But its the best way.

If you are willing to put enough time into it, a top of the line versa climber might get you there. But those machines tax you so much, that it takes a long time to be able to use it at a high rate for any length of time. Anyone that can go 25 minutes hard on that machine is diabolically fit.

Running is a shit exercise that is shit for you.

The idea that you need to run for good cardio is absurd. You can put the time in for the endurance with a myriad of other exercises, you just need to make sure those other exercises utilize a lot of your muscles, and that they give you the ability to push hard and go long.

That’s all running is about when you’re talking about “needing to run for good cardio”. You don’t need to run, you just need to push your endurance with whatever cardio exercise you’re doing.

if only you could have saved them from this terrible practise, maybe they wouldnt have been so mediocre. truly a tragedy, why didnt you step in and set them straight? i hope you are ashamed of yourself

259A08D300000578-0-image-m-49_1423839572276.jpg

heavyweight-boxing-mike-tyson-jogging-the-morning-before-his-trial-picture-id107929095

of16drxe9isa6bamqkp6.jpg

This is one of the worst arguments ever. Maybe he just had exceptional genetics. You can't know how well his cardio would've been had he been swimming instead of running.

It's an equally weak argument as 'my grandfather smoked 1 pack of cigarettes per day, and he reached 100 years of age, must have been doing something right' . Doesn't work like that.

It's not only him it's EVERY SINGLE elite boxer out there. They all do a lot of running. Lomachenko runs every day early in the morning. Floyd was running late in the night. Frazier and Ali both said many times how important running is. Literally every elite boxer out there will tell you this.

Running > swimming because running conditions your leg strength too.

It's hilarious how stupid modern people are, it has become somewhat of a trend to doubt into all the proven methods in every craft.

And yet connor spent 350k on a training camp when you had cracked the case already. Hey connor hit the bag for 6 minutes. You ll be fine in the 3rd and 4th.
Ah well...
Conor innately has shit cardio. Even if he were to run (and run he did for the Mayweather fight), he’d suck. He’s tok big for his frame. His cardio problems appeared when he went to 170 lbs from 145.
At 145, he never gassed, except when he had to wrestle Mendes for two rounds.

So much this. Running and sprints are just so fucking critical. It is so hard to develop real cardio without it. Running 5-7 miles a day at a brisk pace and doing sprints suck. But its the best way.

If you are willing to put enough time into it, a top of the line versa climber might get you there. But those machines tax you so much, that it takes a long time to be able to use it at a high rate for any length of time. Anyone that can go 25 minutes hard on that machine is diabolically fit.

Conor could try swimming if he’s legit fucked up for running

Not-This-Shit-Again-anime-28533251-604-340.jpg

Running is just one way of conditioning yourself cardiovascularly among others. I have no idea why the activity has reached such a mythical status in the combat sports bubble, but it's pretty persistent considering this broscience is still being echoed even by some elite boxing trainers.

Running and its' benefits are certainly not a myth, but the claim that "you cannot have elite cardio without roadwork" is.

While it's true you can get your cardio other ways, there are just very few ways to develop your lungs like running. Now, you can certainly get your heart rate up other ways. But those ways often mean taxing the rest of your body more than you would if you were simply running. Which obviously provides benefits. But I would love for someone to point to a single fighter with elite cardio that simply does not run.

You don't know what an extra year of training while consuming meat would've brought you. So hard to make this claim.

anyone can experience the difference of cutting out meat just for one day, its a simple experiment. when i'm doing half marathons i cut out red meat because it just feels like a fucking horrible drain on my system, and its oh-so simple to test this. have red meat one night - run like a :eek::eek::eek: the next day. have something lighter the next night - run like a hero the next day. go for some red meat again - same heavy feeling on my next run. switch out for something lighter - shitty feeling goes away.

if i said drinking bleach gave me diarrhoea, would you say "yeah but you might have just got diarrhoea anyway, you should have kept drinking bleach"

i'm not even vegan but i've thought about trying it to see how it affects my running. have you ever actually experimented with a different diet or were you touched by a vegan as a child?

You're the one writting broscience, I'm the one sticking to what every single elite fighter in boxing has been doing sine forever.

Carl Froch had the best cardio out of any fighter in the 00s so he must have been doing something right.

Word of mouth is the definition of broscience. Look up which athletes have the highest VO2 Max numbers in the world. Hint: they aren't runners. Runners, cyclists, rowers, etc. all have comparably high VO2 Max levels, but the world's best is always cross country skiers. Road work is a tested form of cardio because it's accessible and a lot of coaches and athletes used it as a result. Claiming its superiority on any other measures is fucking stupid.

While it's true you can get your cardio other ways, there are just very few ways to develop your lungs like running. Now, you can certainly get your heart rate up other ways. But those ways often mean taxing the rest of your body more than you would if you were simply running. Which obviously provides benefits. But I would love for someone to point to a single fighter with elite cardio that simply does not run.

im on the side of the runners here but for the sake of fairness i remember cody garbrandt saying that he doesnt like to run for cardio, i think he just like to do more sparring rounds or something to push himself. but i'm comfortable knowing that 99.99999999999999% of all fighters ever are proponents of running and there is the occassional exception that manages without, like cody, and then there are a bunch of people who cant manage without, like conor and as far as i know, some heavyweights aint keen on it either

I think Conor cant run. knees, ankles or something. Nothing like running to improve cardio. Watch floyd and other eilte boxers 5-7 miles of road work a day.
You see all the elites putting in miles of roadwork and to date I've only seen conor run once. Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort also don't run and look how tired they get.
Running is not a myth lol. Just because you didnt feel one of the many benefits of running doesn't mean it's a myth.
Not-This-Shit-Again-anime-28533251-604-340.jpg

Running is just one way of conditioning yourself cardiovascularly among others. I have no idea why the activity has reached such a mythical status in the combat sports bubble, but it's pretty persistent considering this broscience is still being echoed even by some elite boxing trainers.

Running and its' benefits are certainly not a myth, but the claim that "you cannot have elite cardio without roadwork" is.
Gotta agree with this

Running is such a waste of time

How’s running gonna help you in a fight? (unless your name is Carlos condit)
How is it broscience? Because it has no actual scientific basis behind it and the arguments for it are generally anecdotal, like the one you just brought up (Floyd, Tony).

"All the elite fighters with insane cardio run - therefore to achieve insane cardio, you have to run" is not a logically sound statement - even if you went out of your way and actually managed to prove that every single elite fighter with insane cardio does run, which is not something that I believe to be true.
Running is necessary for fighters, it is an old knowledge in boxing that every great fighter used.

Carl Froch was also running all the time and probably had the best cardio out of any fighter in this generation.

This is what Carl Froch has to say:

"I hate running, but when you get to this level, if you aren’t prepared to become a semi-professional runner, you might as well quit. Running is your bread and butter: the core fitness from which everything else is built. When I train, I probably run five times a week, and this is anything from 80-metre sprints to full-on 10ks. I can now do six miles in less than 40 minutes, which is an extremely fast time for someone carrying so much muscle. Young boxers might find it a massive kick in the balls when they realise what’s required to become champion, but it all pays off in the ring."

Carl Froch had insane, legendary cardio. It's still one of my favorite moments in combat sports when he broke Jermain Taylor mentally and physically with his superior cardio and finished him with seconds to go in a fight he was losing on points:

It has been proven time and time again that the old school boxing training is the best when it comes to cardio and endurance. All this modern "scientific" BS doesn't work in fighting.

99,99% of all elite thais/boxers do a ton of roadwork.
Every fighter with good cardio do roadwork.
ive heard this because of the ACL damage he has taken

but if that is the case how do other sportsmen get by after ACL tears etc,

AND, you can have no ACL and still run in a straight line (its zig and zagging you couldn't do) so im sorry im not having that he cant run

there was a video aswell of him running up some stairs in a promo vid for that MacLife health stuff he does, and stairs would be much harder on the knees

I think he just goes for broke and is not intelligent in conserving his energy whatsoever
Running is a shit exercise that is shit for you.

The idea that you need to run for good cardio is absurd. You can put the time in for the endurance with a myriad of other exercises, you just need to make sure those other exercises utilize a lot of your muscles, and that they give you the ability to push hard and go long.

That’s all running is about when you’re talking about “needing to run for good cardio”. You don’t need to run, you just need to push your endurance with whatever cardio exercise you’re doing.
Running is not the best cardio for MMA. Simulating the fight is. It's the truth. When I got back into boxing my cardio was pure dog shit, couldn't run a mile. Was gassed in a round of boxing. But starting doing endless rounds on the heavy bag, jump rope, and more and more sparring, and my cardio when up exponentially without even running much. Train sport specific

It's not only him it's EVERY SINGLE elite boxer out there. They all do a lot of running. Lomachenko runs every day early in the morning. Floyd was running late in the night. Frazier and Ali both said many times how important running is. Literally every elite boxer out there will tell you this.

Running > swimming because running conditions your leg strength too.

It's hilarious how stupid modern people are, it has become somewhat of a trend to doubt into all the proven methods in every craft.
You can clearly see Conor running here, pumping his arms up and down...
13rAVaFrumhUjK.gif
RqQF6BzaGgyXe.gif

He gets so much speed even the camera can't keep up with him, I think I can see shades of Usain Bolt...
opLdP3xvMMTQI.gif

So to answer the question on everyone's mind: Does Conor run? The answer: Yes, in the octagon.

-Dominick Cruz. The guy can’t run because of his fucked up knees. Still goes hard for 5x5 rounds.
Cruz said on Rogan's podcast that he does a sprint routine that he learned from Drew Fickett.

Word of mouth is the definition of broscience. Look up which athletes have the highest VO2 Max numbers in the world. Hint: they aren't runners. Runners, cyclists, rowers, etc. all have comparably high VO2 Max levels, but the world's best is always cross country skiers. Road work is a tested form of cardio because it's accessible and a lot of coaches and athletes used it as a result. Claiming its superiority on any other measures is fucking stupid.

one has to say that until fighters show up to the octagon in skis, running is going to have certain advantages over the nordic passtime

And the fact you were a former pro elite runner is just a proof of the benefit of running that you are still enjoying. If you didnt run as a elite you would not ve able to do what you are doing now with the increased mass.

Cyborg can run a sub-40 minute 10k and she's never run for any other reason than cardio conditioning. Running more than most other sports yields results exclusively in proportion to how much time you spend running. Volume and intensity are the only factors that contribute to speed. You might not have the same max turnover rate if you didn't run collegiately, but you can still develop the same aerobic base with enough work. The 10k is an aerobic event not a sprint. You don't need speed or talent to be moderately successful.

one has to say that until fighters show up to the octagon in skis, running is going to have certain advantages over the nordic passtime

Like being hard on your joints, contributing to unnecessary stress through 180 pounding steps a minute? Good call.

You don't run to get better at running, you do it to build a base. Apart from anecdotal evidence, please explain how another form of cardio is inferior based on building up a cardiovascular base.

Too much red meat will give you colon cancer.

You have to be wise with your diet.

Eating 5 big macs a day is nothing to brag about tough guy. It's pretty pathetic if eating at McDonald's is the only thing you have to confirm your masculinity to yourself lmfao.

It's pathetic.

If eating Big Macs and steaks were all that, most Sherdoggers would be A-level athletes.

Show me a big steak/hamburger eater, and chances are they'll be an overweight out-of shape slob.

Incoming Bro science here. I feel like some people are naturally inclined to have better cardio than others. Yeah, training obviously helps, but to start with a solid base seems huge.

I was watching an old video of Conor during his preparation for the Diaz fight and notice that his diet has lots of red meat, he seems to be a meat lover, he was talking about how super high prime was his beef and even showed in camera and he even called his diet the “endless steak” diet. I wonder if this “paleo” type of diet was just for the Diaz fight or this is his “normal” diet? If this is how he actually eats then that might explain his fatigue during rounds.

Btw not making excuses for him (not a fan) but when I tried this diet i felt fatigued all the time.

Probably because you were used to high carbs before you started, and didn't give your body enough time to adjust. Not to mention, you probably didn't do it right.

Not that I promote either for regular everyday people, but Simply just eating meat isn't paleo or keto.

Like being hard on your joints, contributing to unnecessary stress through 180 pounding steps a minute? Good call.

You don't run to get better at running, you do it to build a base. Apart from anecdotal evidence, please explain how another form of cardio is inferior based on building up a cardiovascular base.
Your point is quite valid. I've always doing running to be the most difficult form of cardio. Not a scientist here, just a lifetime (well 2/3) of experience.

Back