How come women don't like BJJ?

I'm a female purple belt, and I absolutely love the sport. I have been training about 4 years and can't see myself doing anything else. I know when I'm going with the guys hey aren't using all their strength but I also know that o force them to work their technique because I am much smaller and faster than them

The school I currently train at I am the second highest ranked person there I know I am a big help to the guys on the techniques I know the challenge I pose, and to the guys my size I am a good opponent. I would refuse s to go there if I could only train with the females all the time but that's because I am used to both

Hat being said we do try to have womens open mat when we can and just have all of the females come meet up and see what we can learn, help people who are getting ready to compete etc. It take a Wally rare kind of female to stick win Jiu Jitsu, believe me I've written two articles on this exact topic

http://navitabjj.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-obstacle-for-jiu-jitsu-women.HTML

Navita La Jiu Jitera: The Blue Belt Triangle Part 1

even though this thread is quite old... Ill add that it may be discouraging for a smaller woman to train with bigger guys with more experience but it does pay off.
a training partner of mine took gold at a combatives tournament she had 4 or 5 fights and she choked out the majority of her opponents including sweeping a guy to mount and choking him out.
she said it was so easy fighting other females for the first time after having to deal with all the bigger guys.

The more obvious answer is that having random sweaty guys on top of you rolling around on the floor would be uncomfortable.

However, I also think that while while the movies & media shows striking styles as something that makes you more flexible, agile and graceful, the general outside opinion of grapplers is oversized meathead wrestlers. Women want to train to be more like the medias depiction of strikers, but not grapplers.

As for going soft with women, the only female I train with and roll with is a pro, and rolling with her is generally a more painful, aggressive experience than rolling with other males. If I even thought of going easy im sure she would let me know by destroying my ribcage with a knee.

Ehh. it might sounds silly but I don't like being in a womans guard. I know it's a sport and not sexual, but holding a girl down with her legs wrapped around me makes me feel uncomfortable.

I had an ex girlfriend who liked when i choked her during sex (not hard just hand around her neck). I can't roll with a girl without thinking about it.

I had an ex girlfriend who liked when i choked her during sex (not hard just hand around her neck). I can't roll with a girl without thinking about it.

Gee, I don't know. Why don't women want to train BJJ?

I talked with a few of the girls who train at my gym about this yesterday. They said that a lot of guys at the gym are reluctant or refuse to roll with them.

even though this thread is quite old... Ill add that it may be discouraging for a smaller woman to train with bigger guys with more experience but it does pay off.
a training partner of mine took gold at a combatives tournament she had 4 or 5 fights and she choked out the majority of her opponents including sweeping a guy to mount and choking him out.
she said it was so easy fighting other females for the first time after having to deal with all the bigger guys.

Your training partner needs to be careful of this mindset. Most of the other women that are training out there are also training primarily with men, too. My academy has ten or twelve women in it now, but my main sparring partners are men, especially when I'm getting ready for a tournament.

Maybe a lot of women are uncomfortable with rolling around with some big sweaty guy, But at my gym there is like 5 girls out of the average 15 or so people per class so its not that bad.

Because you get your ass kicked. Strength and size (especially between the genders, not comparable to how outsized guys feel) matters a ton, and lower belts will forever beat us up despite superior technique. It takes a special kind of girl to take that and keep coming back every day.

Because you get your ass kicked. Strength and size (especially between the genders, not comparable to how outsized guys feel) matters a ton, and lower belts will forever beat us up despite superior technique. It takes a special kind of girl to take that and keep coming back every day.

+1 Always respected the girls who gets their ass beaten every day and just come back like it doesn't bother them(which it obviously does.). My first training in BJJ I sparred vs a girl who had done it for 2-3 years and it was an even roll, she couldn't really do anything to me but I couldn't do anything to her either. It made me really respect women who actually don't quit. I know if I ever get beaten by a random guy who just started then I would throw my belt to him and never come back.(no joke)

well considering not that many women would sign up itd likely be a wasted time slot.

This isn't true at all. My girlfriend started in an all girls grappling class that was pretty packed. Took me a couple months to talk her into going and she is now addicted to grappling. Quickly moved thru the womens class and was the only girl allowed in the mens class and quickly became one of the better ones there also.

Women imo see it as fighting and don't like to fight. They see it as a male dominated sport and don't think they are welcome and they don't like rolling around all sweaty with guys they don't know's hands all over there bodies.

So true! Thanks for posting this. My girlfriend left AKA the other day, called me and was ready to cry and be done with grappling for good!!!!:redface:

Had to talk her off the ledg by explaining that it was her 4th day in a row (trying to get as much in before the holidays) and her body needed rest and that some guys are just going to be dicks to prove a point.

The days like those are far and few between to the days of gettting the call about hitting a sweep on someone much higher ranked or about a new flow she is learning, etc.

Quickly moved thru the womens class and was the only girl allowed in the mens class and quickly became one of the better ones there also.

Girls are also much better technical grapplers than guys are.

Wow, how gullible are you? She is not "one of the better" in the mensgroup. Girls are not "much better technical grapplers than guys" either. You are clearly a muppethead.

If they were, then they would DOMINATE all lower weightclasses which they don't and never will. I mean you could argue that they were as good technically etc, but "much better technical grapplers" is just a fucking retarded statement. Your girlfriend is either being treated really nice by the guys(that happens A LOT) , so she can try techniques. Or she is not taking a mens class but a kids class. She is definitely not "one of the best" unless the class just has a bunch of awful people.

Wow, how gullible are you? She is not "one of the better" in the mensgroup. Girls are not "much better technical grapplers than guys" either. You are clearly a muppethead.

If they were, then they would DOMINATE all lower weightclasses which they don't and never will. I mean you could argue that they were as good technically etc, but "much better technical grapplers" is just a fucking retarded statement. Your girlfriend is either being treated really nice by the guys(that happens A LOT) , so she can try techniques. Or she is not taking a mens class but a kids class. She is definitely not "one of the best" unless the class just has a bunch of awful people.

wow, how could you ever say something like that without ever knowing the girl, or seeing her train?

Seriously though, Title Fight that is awesome that she is going, that she is learning so well and keeps at it! We need more dedicated girls like her!!

men have more testoerone, which not only helps them be stronger than females but is also makes men faster.

so a woman who weighs 130 pounds and a man who weighs 130 pounds there is still potential for a big strenght difference.

Women in general are much much much more technical at all sports than men. I have coached many sports and women are much more interested in learning the actual technique while men want to use there strength and athletcism to get by on.

Im not saying she is dominating the class or anything, just that she is much more technical than alot of the guys in class.

I think you take this internet forum stuff a little to serious.:icon_neut

Women in general are much much much more technical at all sports than men. I have coached many sports and women are much more interested in learning the actual technique while men want to use there strength and athletcism to get by on.

Im not saying she is dominating the class or anything, just that she is much more technical than alot of the guys in class.

I think you take this internet forum stuff a little to serious.:icon_neut

LOL they have better fundamentals!!!

Men and women both have equal opportunity to be great grapplers. The individual who spends more time on the mat is going to be more skilled.

Men and women both have equal opportunity to be great grapplers. The individual who spends more time on the mat is going to be more skilled.

This, with the included obvious fact that more men will be motivated due to testosterone, they will less likely accept losing due to testosterone, they will be more aggressive due to testosterone and they will have more and more efficient muscles due to testosterone.

I praised women in my first post in this threat but people like title_prod takes away a lot of their deserves credit by lying to try and create credit for them.

Back