How come women don't like BJJ?

And a note if you ever roll with a girl, I'd say about 90% of them don't like a hand out. Beat their ass like they owe you money. My girlfriend gets pissed when she rolls with a dude and they "go easy on her" She'd rather get tapped 5 times a roll.

I CONCUR! Whether you're a girl that competes or not, there are a handful of women out there that train because they love the sport. The only thing that prevents them from taking it seriously or having them stick around are the people that are too scared to train hard so they "take it easy!" or going too hard because of their egos, or I don't want to grab boobies...etc...They are all excuses! JUST TRAIN as you would with anyone and give us a chance to speak for ourselves. We will let you know if you are training like an A-hole or not. DANG! JUST TRAIN! :)

I'm the only girl at my academy who actively trains and competes. The past two months I actually left and went to another gym that had two girls, but still none that competed. I ended up switching back to my original academy due to the other one being an hour away, sometimes 2 in traffic. But down there I had guys of all levels, even 15 year guys that were more my size and even if they weren't they knew how to adjust their strength level in order to roll with me--I can't say that about my home academy. It's definitely a trait that all bjj practitioners should learn, even me. I can tell you that the frustration is what turns me and other girls off being that we're small and if we pull the girl card, it's not that we're trying to get out of stuff everyone has to go through, it's really that it's harder and more difficult. I can't tell you how many times I've rolled with guys who use all of their weight on me, who go 90% on me and crank out submissions like I was threatening their manhood. As far as the hesitation to even step on the mat, it's intimidating. And like another girl mentioned, it goes against a lot of what we know. I think a lot of gyms should at least have a blue belt female (if at all possible) to teach a basic women fundamentals class. That way they don't have to be introduced to sweaty fat dudes right away. :)

One of the very few women who trains at my gym says she gets felt up almost every time she rolls.

Mind you, she is very tiny and usually rolls with junior high kids. And she is a 30-year-old woman. She may also be overly sensitive, I don't know.

We have been talking about starting a women's program with cheaper classes - or at least drop in only to start so they don't feel like they have to make a giant commitment to try it. Another gym in our area is doing this and it is working. They have a female blue belt to run it, though.

Another thing we are doing around here is that all the tourneys are letting women compete for free. But there are so few we can only run an absolute division. But in the tourney I am organizing, we are giving the women the same prizes we give the advanced men (gis or shorts/rashguard sets.)

I think women can get a lot out of this sport when it comes to confidence, self-defense and fitness (all those same things apply to men.) I hope we can get more women participating in this area.

All I know is females who usually stay with bjj for a year get real technical in that time...

i can't believe that dudes would just feel up some chick the whole time they are rolling with her. In real bjj school anyway.

anyway, starting a women's program is rough because it may only be one or 2 girls for a few months and lots of gyms are not willing to make that initial commitment by having a girls only class a few times a week.

but i am definitely all for women taking bjj.

At my gym we have about 6 girls that are in the fundimentals and randori

i can't believe that dudes would just feel up some chick the whole time they are rolling with her. In real bjj school anyway.

I know, right? I think she is just saying it happens a lot. I wonder how much of it is inadvertent. But even if it only happens a few times, it is something they have to contend with.

if a girl is good, ill just work off my back, use no strength and just try to work my passes and sweeps.

I do not like training with women.

If I had the opportunity to roll with a woman who was technically and physically capable, this would not be an issue. They would obviously train seriously. I do not go to the gym to hit on girls I would never approach outside. I do not like wasting my training time in rolls where I have to focus on avoiding athleticism without being insulting. I'm just not down with giggle-time with a 5. Again, a good, serious female grappler would not create these issues, but they are a rarity.

Further, I do not appreciate the risk of bear attacks.

It varies, depending on what you're looking to get out of training. If you roll with a woman who is half your size and of similar rank, and you crush her, you're not proving much other than that you're stronger than her. If you tone down the strength/power and go on technique, it makes the sparring more interesting.

That said, we had one girl at our gym whose idea of no-gi was to come in wearing a silk negligee and her panties, and she wound up partnered up with me. I was embarrassed that I had to do side-control drills with somebody who was basically wearing sleep attire (I believe she was actually a stripper, from what one guy who frequented strip clubs told me). It was just a very awkward situation and I'm glad I didn't wind up partnered with her again.

I don't mind sparring with the ones that are serious, and we have a number of serious women grapplers at the academy, but sadly most of them are smaller than the smallest guys. It does make things difficult since you can't just smash and crush them like you would with a guy.

The place I train allows me to attend two gyms and the one i go to less often has 4 girls

There are two women in my judo class, and one actually seems to love rolling. She's a brown, so she is really comfortable with it. I actually enjoy rolling with her bc it forces me to work on technique instead of athleticism. I don't roll with the other woman too much as she's only a green belt, and doesn't pose a very good match up against me, even when I'm just working technique.
The heavy double weave Gis might add to their overall comfort level, but they don't seem to uncomfortable in the first place

The only woman who regularly trains where I've been going this past month (not my home gym) is aggressive - substantially more so than the guys. I guess for every one of her there's three dozen people who wouldn't take up training.

At my home gym, there's only one girl who's lasted to blue belt, but she's great and trains very regularly.

I wish there were more BJJ girls at my gym. It's pretty dissappointing seeing a very useful tool for women (defending themselves on the ground) being thrown away for petty reasons.

I sparred with girls a few time in newaza in judo and basically I would allways pull guard and try to be technical and would generally be good fun.., But believe me if she was anywhere near submitting or pinning me I would use all my strength to get out of it

Where i train its no gi and we have about 4 total women/girls. One that i roll with all the time is pretty hot ( nice butt/boobs) and she actually competes. As i said she is "hot" but i would never grope her even if i thought i could get away with it. When rolling, going through my mind is sweep, pass, or sub. Not, grope, rub, or lay on them........the girl is pretty good. Shes medaled in a few nagas and gq's and trains 4-5 times a week. The others maybe 1-3 times a week........i actually asked the girl i train with alot how n why she got into bjj and her response was
" i always liked to roughhouse and wrestle when i was younger and i want to stay in shape and when i seen the comercial and the bjj part came on i was interested and gave it a shot" that was over a year ago!

Pretty cool chick, wish there were more like her

I'm a 27 year old woman, and I recently started BJJ about 5 months ago. I roll 4 -5 days per week, and I would honestly train more if I could. All the guys at my studio are really really cool, they never appear to have a problem rolling with me, and with the little amount of time I have been training, I expect to be subed by them most times. If I was getting the subs all of the time, I wouldn't like rolling with them because I would know they are just giving them to me because I am a girl. I'm not naive; I know that they have to hold back with me a little bit, but it isn't because I lack fight, it's just that they've got a few years experience on me, and are a bit bigger.

But I also understand that rolling with me is different then them rolling with the other guys, so I try to be really cognizant of constantly switching up rolling partners in class so that I'm not taking up all of one person's mat time.

I really enjoy working with my team and I would be sad if I rolled only with the other girls, there is something different that you learn when you are rolling with the guys that are bigger than you/have more experience. If I can sweep the 200 pound guy in my class, I know I've got the technique down. If I can sweep the 110 pound girl, sometimes it is hard to tell if I have it down or if I am using too much muscle.

I've been to 2 competitions so far and I have been one of three competing in each division for both (for both gi and no gi). I really wish more girls would get out there and compete, because I am realizing I am going to have to travel 10 hours or more to go to a competition where I am not guaranteed a consolation third place. My friends that are girls think it's cool that I am doing BJJ, but have no interest in doing it themselves. There is such a stereotype that women should not be doing the sport, and sometimes (I'm taking this from reading other's posts here at sher dog) that is even coming from some within the BJJ community. I love the sport and would love to see it grow, but unfortunately, it isn't something your typical girl is going to sign up for after watching a class.

It must be uncomfortable allowing a stranger to be inside your guard. Or mounted from behind for that matter. :icon_chee

the girls at my school are super super technical, rolling with them is awesome because you learn how they deal with opponents bigger than them

Back