How come women don't like BJJ?

I've heard (though I'm not sure about this) that women have more of a personal space issue than men (oddly enough).

I think the issue of aggression is also a turn off, as you must be aggressive against another person that is being aggressive against you (rather than a kick pad or bag).

I think BJJ instructors just do not care about teaching women/girls.

They could run a female only BJJ class but I guess it would be too much hassle for them.

I know a lot of girls that like it. Especially outside of the gym. ;) kidding. But seriously I know a lot of women who train.

I think BJJ instructors just do not care about teaching women/girls.

They could run a female only BJJ class but I guess it would be too much hassle for them.

well considering not that many women would sign up itd likely be a wasted time slot.

I've heard (though I'm not sure about this) that women have more of a personal space issue than men (oddly enough).

I think the issue of aggression is also a turn off, as you must be aggressive against another person that is being aggressive against you (rather than a kick pad or bag).

There are a couple of women who train at my gym, and oddly I'm the one who's uncomfortable. I must have personal space issues

well considering not that many women would sign up itd likely be a wasted time slot.

Like any new BJJ team, it would take time to build up a good attendance.

But I am pretty sure, there are women that would train BJJ if given the option of a women class only to start with.

It's nature, for every few hundred fights in school there is like one girl fight. Girls generally have no interest in taking it past the catty remark stage.

There aren't a lot of women in martial arts, period. BJJ is relatively new compared to boxing, TKD or even judo in the US. It might take off eventually. It would be interesting to know how many women take BJJ in Brazil for comparison.

BJJ is the least aggressive of any aspect of MMA. More women seem to box and wrestle. I respectfully disagree with this premise.

A factor we may not be considering but may have SOME effect is what their spouse/bf might say.

If he doesnt train (and maybe if he does) he might not like seeing his girl on top or beneath of some sweaty dude.

Other than that they may be a little insecure about the "groping" potential. I think if they took some time to train it might help, most of the bJJ classes I have seen are pretty proffessional.

On the same topic, I have not seen an overwhelming amount of women in Judo either and as we know there is quite a bit more stand up time there.

So I am not really sure.

Mostly the groping stuff in my experience. Hell it's why some of my less secure guy friends won't try it. If you look at it with a lay person's eye, you might see more sexuality than someone who does it. I never saw it that way so I never had the hang ups, and the girl I'm dating now wants to try it out.

BJJ is the least aggressive of any aspect of MMA. More women seem to box and wrestle. I respectfully disagree with this premise.

I agree with your statement....but I'm just talking about what I've heard women say.

They come to our school and try out BJJ and it's too physically involved for them, whereas, they can do boxing (not sparring with a person) or TKD or something and not have a resisting person stopping them from doing what they want to do.

Helps to have a female instructor, and others to roll with. Also i think the atmosphere of the gym plays a pretty big roll... the more thugs you have the less women you will get. My school has two female instructors in addition to several male instructors and I would say about 1/10 at my school are female.

I agree with your statement....but I'm just talking about what I've heard women say.

They come to our school and try out BJJ and it's too physically involved for them, whereas, they can do boxing (not sparring with a person) or TKD or something and not have a resisting person stopping them from doing what they want to do.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining your reasoning.

My girlfriend trains, she had been pretty much a non athlete her whole life. It took me about 2 months to talk her into going down and checking out the girls "Fitness Fighting Class" (basically mild MMA) and then another month to talk her into just trying one class.

Two years later she is addicted to the sport and trains and spars with the mens advanced class. (not that advanced ;/ ) She has earned her way to being one of the better students at the school. Rolls with and taps guys all the time. The guys were a little reluctant at first, but once she started sweeping and subbing them they didn't seem to mind. No one wants a girl in class who is just there to get attention and doesn't take it serious.

I think a school needs to have a womens only class to start with and once the girls get good enough and comfortable enough they can mix in with the guys classes if they want.

we have a good number of girls i think for a club, 3 regular blues, a great purple, a great brown and probably 4 whitebelts that have lasted the initial dropout phase... overall our club has 160 or so members

So far we had one girl show up to watch the first class and never
came back... the other comes like once a week and the guys who
will never have a chance to talk to a female out of class is usually
on her nuts.

Back