How come women don't like BJJ?

I think the reason girls don't like BJJ is the same reason guys don't like Ballet.

What do you expect? BJJ is not feminine and the girls that do BJJ are an exception to the rule.

In reality, when you compare the amount of girls that do BJJ versus the amount of girls that play any other co-ed sport other than maybe softball and volleyball and I'd say we're extremely high. I'd imagine that the number of girls that do BJJ versus the number of girls that play basketball is very high in favor of the BJJ side. I'd also imagine that more girls do BJJ than "real" Muay Thai. By real I mean more than just simply kicking the pads and very light sparring.

As far as BJJ versus TKD and the like, well the enrollment at BJJ schools is very low compared to them anyway (as far as I know).

I believe the ratio its at right now is about as good as it'll get.

I think the reason girls don't like BJJ is the same reason guys don't like Ballet.

What do you expect? BJJ is not feminine and the girls that do BJJ are an exception to the rule.

In reality, when you compare the amount of girls that do BJJ versus the amount of girls that play any other co-ed sport other than maybe softball and volleyball and I'd say we're extremely high. I'd imagine that the number of girls that do BJJ versus the number of girls that play basketball is very high in favor of the BJJ side. I'd also imagine that more girls do BJJ than "real" Muay Thai. By real I mean more than just simply kicking the pads and very light sparring.

As far as BJJ versus TKD and the like, well the enrollment at BJJ schools is very low compared to them anyway (as far as I know).

I believe the ratio its at right now is about as good as it'll get.

So does every girl like Ballet?

Women like Boxing more from what ive noticed

at my gym the few women that go there are straight muay thai monsters

Well, it can get weird as hell getting as close as possible to the other person, boob glancing, mount guard etc. THe girl's I've rolled with had more experience, so I don't know how a new girl would react.

Just thought I'd add my female POV on this whole thing.
Some guys on here are saying that they don't know what to do with their hands, and that they don't want to do any accidental groping. I don't know how other girls feel, but for me at least, it's not an issue. Once we're rolling, I don't even notice where your hands are, unless you're choking me. There's only been one awkward moment since I started, and that was when a guy stopped in the middle of rolling to apologize. I still have no idea what he was saying sorry for, or what exactly it was that he touched. I just don't notice.

Mind telling me what exactly is wrong with me? I'd rather be me than those judgmental full of themselves girls who think every guy is out to grope them. It's not like I like rolling with girls, I hate rolling with them, but it's not socially acceptable for me to say anything about it as a guy and say "I don't want to roll with her when paired up". Immediately the judgment would start if I said that, like "ohhh he's just intimidated and can't control himself because she's attractive so he doesn't wanna roll with her, what a loser/creep" So I'm stuck sucking it up, and trying to destroy them at grappling as fast as I can and focus on the competitive aspect so that I don't get turned on. People like you are a cancer, because you perpetuate the attitude that villifies men and our biology, like we aren't even human beings, but I guess you're probably just trying to impress females like TheySeeMeRolling by agreeing with them, newsflash: agreeing with a girl is not gonna get you laid, Steelviper.

You're not gonna achieve understanding and mutual acceptance between the sexes with the attitude that there's something wrong with men being attracted to women, and just because a guy is attracted you treat him as a potential rapist or something. Like I said, it's a bigger problem than just jiu jitsu, because women end 70-80% of all relationships, and lose attraction easier. The bigger piece of the problem lies with the more judgmental gender, which is women. More judgmental = less accepting, TheySeeMeRolling really has no right to complain about not being accepted, because she's more judgmental and less accepting than the people she complains about.

virgin much?

No mats in the kitchen?

I kid, probably because a lot of them might be uncomfortable grappling with primarily guys that are likely a lot larger, sweatier and stinkier than them.

Theres a few girls at my gym some of em are sorta attractive. Gotta say sometimes its a lil awkward, like when i pop a boner in their guard.... ahaha kidding, but seriously sometimes its awkward when we both know i just accidentally felt her up.

meh ill prolly get over it as i roll with them more.

Last edited:
Exactly. Im sure some girls get that embarrassed feeling after the guy realizes he just felt her up and she catches it on his face. Not all guys are mature or some young guys chase the girl just to feel them up... so there is always that awkwardness.

Theres one women I train with and she did gi for a while. Shes in my no gi class and she says it does feel like theres less privacy people are in her personal space. Although shes fairly weak shes pretty good and can probably beat any women that doesnt train.

its easy, just tell them before the roll that they are hot and if the situation was any different you would have still have this boner for them aswell and to take a compliment

One thing I haven't seen discussed here is the fact BJJ training hurts sometimes even when it's done right, minor injuries are a fact of life, and men and women tend to deal with pain differently. At the risk of generalizing...

Men are far more likely to train to failure in, say, weight lifting, so they tend to benefit more from the exercise because they get micro-tears in their muscles and become stronger (assuming they don't overdo it to the point of actual injury). Women have a better sense of self preservation, so unless they've been conditioned to train to failure at least once in a while, they stop as soon as they're experiencing slight pain and therefore don't get as good of a pump. So it takes longer for them to get better.

Then there's physiology. If you arm bar a woman, her elbow can generally hyperextend way farther than a man's before she's in pain or even knows she's in a submission. But at that point she's got very little strength to resist further pressure because the joint is hyperextended. A man, by contrast, can still resist after the pain becomes noticeable because the joint isn't extended as far. Thus for women there's very little time between the onset of pain and a serious injury. They therefore respond to small amounts of pain a lot faster (if they have any sense) because at some level they know a serious injury is imminent. BJJ has loads of moments that require this kind of decision.

The sense of self preservation continues even off the mat. After a painful training session, most women wake up the next morning and think: "I must remember not to do that again". Men are more likely to think: "I must get revenge against the thing that knocked me back." I won't guess as to why this difference exists, but it causes different behavior. The sore or mildly injured man will generally come back, but the sore or mildly injured woman will generally not want to.

Ironically, and sadly, the same instincts that help a woman avoid serious injury in a submission hold will hurt her in the long term because they deter her from stepping back onto the mat.

Starting at the high blue belt level, I notice that men and women in BJJ respond to even serious injuries the exact same way. They all recover, get surgery if needed, and come back. They have kind of an inner "f*** you" instinct that makes them bounce back. The women at this level also have elbows that are stronger but less flexible than average, and they've got impressive upper body strength. I don't know how much of that they're born with and how much develops over time. Definitely it's less risky for them to fight out of a joint lock than it would be for a woman of average arm and elbow strength. It's imaginably possible that having stronger arms and elbows takes the edge off the enhanced pain response instinct.

For what it's worth, I don't think the attrition rate is as high in the all-female classes that have more of a conditioning focus and are less competitive. When women train solely in such classes and then venture into our mixed classes, they don't put a lot of speed or power behind their techniques since they're not used to working against even minor resistance. So they get tapped a lot by less senior people which has got to be frustrating, and they're very likely to get hurt unless someone more senior is assigned to work with them and be very careful. Training with them is a bit like rolling with a training partner who's just back from surgery and working around his or her injury.

My best friends' girl friends started JJJ this year and asked me and another guy to help them out of some of their technique. I have a lot of stand up and some no-gi experience and the other guy has trained in bjj so we each brought different things to the table.

Their JJJ class have almost no live rolling so we were the first ones they actually grappled with. Because there was a level of trust already established they got over the creepy factor of having some guy pressed on top of you rather quickly.

Also there is less intimidation. They know we are not there to submit them mercilessly. We just tightened up the techniques they were doing in their JJJ classes and showing them a few things they could incorporate into their own training. I also allow myself to be submitted cause I feel there is nothing to prove with them.

It helps that these two girls started training together. I don't think either would have done it alone.

Recently we were at a friends house and one of the girls had just learned how to do a gogoplata. She then requested to drill them right in the middle of the living room. They've become addicted.

I also think it helps that these girls are much smaller than us but we show them how their techniques are still effective. I imagine the confidence that you can tap out a much larger guy is quite encouraging for them.

Back