Horizon: Zero Dawn (robot dinosaurs)

hrmmm i'll try freeze sling more. is it faster freezing effect than the war bow's?

Yes the first time i faced a rockbreaker it saved my ass. I could just not get around the rockbreaker to get to its weak points. So i shot it right in the mouth with the freeze sling and opened up on its frozen ass with the rattler

hrmmm i'll try freeze sling more. is it faster freezing effect than the war bow's?

I didn't do a ton of testing and it was more of a "feeling" that I started leaning towards the Sling for status ailments over the Warbow. When loaded with the same 3 purple +Freeze weapon mods, the Warbow was a little more than 1/3 than the freeze effect on the Sling, so I figured with 3 arrows loaded I can inflict Freezr faster, but the reload speed of the Warbow and loading 3 arrows it felt slower building up the freeze ailment.

One of the last boss fights I found electric stun to be pretty effective over a few tries. Bouncing between the Warbow and Sling for building up the ailment, the Sling just seemed to get it to stick faster and felt more effective.

This is all for fighting large enemies where aim isn't as necessary. If you're fighting a smaller/faster target, I would say go for the Warbow.

oh, yea, i didn't think of the 3 arrow thing... two & three arrow nocking are my next purchases.. they work with warbow?

what's everyone's standard 4 weapons, etc?

i personally don't ever use either of the two slings.. i find them awkward to use and i think you can get just about every element elsewhere, anyway..

don't care for the rattler, either. i feel it's inaccurate as hell and i get hit when i try to use it, lol.

the war bow is fine, no issue w/it and against certain enemies, it can be a great tool (i.e. ice arrows)

but i primarily just use the standard bow + the sniper bow along with the tripcaster/ropecaster

i am, however, a bit disappointed w/the armor choices. most of them look shitty and also don't change much. i basically walk around with two armors. i mostly use the blazon armor(s) because i think they look the coolest (mmm, flat-tummy athletic girl look!) or throw on my stealth gear when i feel like doing a bandit camp in full stealth or w/e.

Shadow hunter
Shadow sharpshot
Shadow tripcaster
Lodge ropecaster

I have two shadow hunters one with three 44% damage mods and the other with all fire mods. I leave the damage out.

2 sharpshot, 1 all damage mods and the other all tear. I leave the tear out.

I don't think I ever used the slings. I rarely used the lodge war bow. I should have used it more.

I used the survival with ranged and melee mods before the acient armor.

what's everyone's standard 4 weapons, etc?

i personally don't ever use either of the two slings.. i find them awkward to use and i think you can get just about every element elsewhere, anyway..

don't care for the rattler, either. i feel it's inaccurate as hell and i get hit when i try to use it, lol.

the war bow is fine, no issue w/it and against certain enemies, it can be a great tool (i.e. ice arrows)

but i primarily just use the standard bow + the sniper bow along with the tripcaster/ropecaster

i am, however, a bit disappointed w/the armor choices. most of them look shitty and also don't change much. i basically walk around with two armors. i mostly use the blazon armor(s) because i think they look the coolest (mmm, flat-tummy athletic girl look!) or throw on my stealth gear when i feel like doing a bandit camp in full stealth or w/e.

For myself, it's always :

Left - Shadow Hunter Bow - + 3 Fire mods
Right - Shadow Sharpshot Bow - + 3 Damage mods

I haven't changed those two since i've got them. Highest damaging arrows + Tearblast + cheaply made but decent damaging arrows you can group in 3's quickly + fire arrows.

Outside of those I usually have the Lodge War Bow for my bottom weapon - maxed out with corruption mods. 3 arrows will corrupt anything you run across regularly, great to cause havoc in any group you run across (override one machine, hit another with the arrows)

Then for the last spot I rotate between :

Shadow War Bow - modded with Shock mods for Longlegs, stalkers etc.
Shadow Slingshot - modded with Freeze mods for Behemoths, Tramplers (slower + bigger so easier to hit with a sling)
Lodge Blast Sling - modded with damage mods
Lodge Ropecaster - modded with tear/handling mods for Stormbirds etc
Shadow Tripcaster - modded with damage mods (for the blast tripwire. "Hey! Listen!" *Boooom*)

When I first saw the ability to increase your weapon capacity, I thought i'd never really need max. But having weapons of the same damage all modded differently saves time switching them out when needed, so I make sure to have a Shock/Freeze/Fire/Corruption weapon + high damaging bow + really high damaging weapon (tripcaster blastwire or blast sling) so I can switch in a second and don't need to ever remove mods unless i'm improving them.

As for Armor, I use the stealth gear with moar stealth mods, or elemental with melee damage decrease mods, though i'm one cell away from fancy armor.

oh, yea, i didn't think of the 3 arrow thing... two & three arrow nocking are my next purchases.. they work with warbow?

Yep, all the bows. with mods and 3 knock you can pretty much cause an elemental weakness in any machine that has one.

Last edited:

Yeah, their base elemental damage is double (50 freeze vs 25 for the bow) so any of the sling elements will apple more (also apply in an AoE as opposed to single target) than a War Bow, add mods and it will always top out higher and can one shot cause a weakness.

Anybody else find this game to be tremendously easy?

I didn't really die unless I made a jumping mistake but I found it to be I guess on the easier side. It's what you make it though. If you play it smart with stealth and the right weapons it's pretty easy. I also only played on normal, had some occasion tough battles.

Increase the difficulty.

I saw my first thunderjaw today.... Got out of the area pretty quick.. Im not strong enough yet to take one on
I was Round level 15 or 16 when i took down my first thundermaw, it was on its last hit then some random npc kills it and i dont get any xp wtf

Shadow hunter
Shadow sharpshot
Shadow tripcaster
Lodge ropecaster

I have two shadow hunters one with three 44% damage mods and the other with all fire mods. I leave the damage out.

2 sharpshot, 1 all damage mods and the other all tear. I leave the tear out.

I don't think I ever used the slings. I rarely used the lodge war bow. I should have used it more.

I used the survival with ranged and melee mods before the acient armor.

For myself, it's always :

Left - Shadow Hunter Bow - + 3 Fire mods
Right - Shadow Sharpshot Bow - + 3 Damage mods

I haven't changed those two since i've got them. Highest damaging arrows + Tearblast + cheaply made but decent damaging arrows you can group in 3's quickly + fire arrows.

Outside of those I usually have the Lodge War Bow for my bottom weapon - maxed out with corruption mods. 3 arrows will corrupt anything you run across regularly, great to cause havoc in any group you run across (override one machine, hit another with the arrows)

Then for the last spot I rotate between :

Shadow War Bow - modded with Shock mods for Longlegs, stalkers etc.
Shadow Slingshot - modded with Freeze mods for Behemoths, Tramplers (slower + bigger so easier to hit with a sling)
Lodge Blast Sling - modded with damage mods
Lodge Ropecaster - modded with tear/handling mods for Stormbirds etc
Shadow Tripcaster - modded with damage mods (for the blast tripwire. "Hey! Listen!" *Boooom*)

When I first saw the ability to increase your weapon capacity, I thought i'd never really need max. But having weapons of the same damage all modded differently saves time switching them out when needed, so I make sure to have a Shock/Freeze/Fire/Corruption weapon + high damaging bow + really high damaging weapon (tripcaster blastwire or blast sling) so I can switch in a second and don't need to ever remove mods unless i'm improving them.

As for Armor, I use the stealth gear with moar stealth mods, or elemental with melee damage decrease mods, though i'm one cell away from fancy armor.

Yep, all the bows. with mods and 3 knock you can pretty much cause an elemental weakness in any machine that has one.

yep, same general preferences

what difficulty are you on? i'm on hard, i've died twice so far in maybe.. 25 hours. but it feels right. if i screw up, i can die. that's how i like it.

I was Round level 15 or 16 when i took down my first thundermaw, it was on its last hit then some random npc kills it and i dont get any xp wtf
Im 16 now and there is one right by where i have to walk by to go kill olin,.. So will either have to sneak by it or fight it.

jeeeeeeeeesus christ. i finally got to meridian. i fart around a lot, do stuff all over map, do sidequests, etc... and it took me a couple hours to do all the crap in meridian.. i had so many of the special items, loot crate supplies, etc.

p.s.: F OFF, rock bundle boxes, i had to throw 200 rocks on the ground so that i could loot the rock bundles to clear my damned loot box inventory lol.

this game's great. i'm like lvl 30 so far.

the one thing that's bizarre to me is the quest "levels" -- they seem totally wrong. sometimes a lvl 12 quest is a: given to me later in the game than some lvl 25 quest, and sometimes it's more difficult than the latter, too.

p.s.: T-rex dinosaur was the highlight of the game so far for me. so f'ing cool. it has so many weapons, haha. go go cheesing strategy of rock formations in the middle of the area to block stuff!
jeez you must have been doing everything... level 30 by the time you hit meridian... I think most hit it around 15. The main story is going to probably be pretty easy for you up until the end since you are on such a high level already.

jeez you must have been doing everything... level 30 by the time you hit meridian... I think most hit it around 15. The main story is going to probably be pretty easy for you up until the end since you are on such a high level already.

yea, a problem i often run into in games :/ dynamic scaling always works better for me

how many hours in are you? I think im around 12.. says I have only done 20% of the game.

i'm not sure, prolly 25-30? is there a way to check?

my % is in the 30's, i think -- i never rush games i like, i like scraping every corner of everything hehe

i'm not sure, prolly 25-30? is there a way to check?

my % is in the 30's, i think -- i never rush games i like, i like scraping every corner of everything hehe
when you save the game, manual save, it should tell you how many hours in you are.. then in the map menu if you scroll to your notebook it will tell you what percent you are in the game,

I dont want to rush this game either, wish i had more time to play. After i beat the story im going to go around and complete as much as i can... which will be a first for me as i usually just return games after but I ill be keeping this one...
I guess in the first week or so they already sold 2.6 million copies and are already talking DLC stories or coming out with second game because of its success.

Back