Horizon: Zero Dawn (robot dinosaurs)

I want to preface this by saying I think HZD is a very fun and unique game. Its a blast to just roll out and hunt some mechanical beasts. The story is cool and I love the different environments. I'm doing a second playthrough and I'm pretty deep into the game already. I completely forgot how it played, but I am having a blast. Some things I hope to see in the new HFW

1. Faster Gameplay: The game does fine with its stealth mechanics giving the player options that enhance their ability to move through the shrubs with softer feet. However, when it comes to battle, the action can seem slow. HZD was meant to be played as a methodical hunting sim. The goal is to target certain areas using specific ammo that deal enough damage that it tears their systems off. Sounds great, but it just feels too slow. It kind of takes me out of the game and I hope they find a way to speed this up. Maybe make Aloy run faster and reload faster while increasing base health a little more. Its a tough balance.

2. Better AI: There are so many monsters you can cheese in this game. For instance, I was fighting a Thunderjaw in an enclosed valley last night. Prior to the fight I set up all of my trip wires and traps before launching a tear arrow. We battled for a little bit and I had to retreat. After I took half his heath and semi-left the arena, the Thunderjaw went back to his normal business. This allowed me to set more traps and repeat the process. This doesn't make the game fun. The beasts should chase you all over the map, especially after taking 3/4's of their health. The human AI is just as atrocious. I took out a camp yesterday and a human got stuck running up and down a staircase.

3. Improve H2H: They need some work in melee combat for sure. It was 2 buttons. Light and Heavy. More options should be added.

4. Parkour: I had flashbacks of GOT's charm hunting. I don't know if they took some notes from HZD or not, but what GOT had that HZD didn't is a sense of danger. You had to time certain jumps in GOT which made platforming much more rewarding. In HZD, you really just hold up and jump.

5. More RPG elements (and weapons systems): It's a lackluster and barebones system. Especially for all of the things you collect. BOTW allowed you to mix and match different types of ingredients that give you more combinations. That was a cool feature. The weapons and armor systems are really just move one notch out for the other. GOW had a much more complex system that I hope HFW employs. They need a lot of work here.

6. Control more Beasts: One thing that bugged me with Hollow Knight was that if you used a charm that gave you some friends to help in battle that those friends would constantly attack their target. Once a boss was staggered you were never given the ability to heal because your friends would immediately attack the target and the second phase would start. Same issue here. It's difficult to gather an army of beasts because once you flip one, chances are that they will attack the others. Having the ability to control them in some way would be great. I'm also hoping for the chance to mount more beasts such as a Glinthawk. Would be cool to fly around the map.

There are a few more like locking specific things behind the story so you don't get too OP. I'm at level 30 yet my main story is at level 15. Makes it a cake walk. These are just some suggestions I have had while playing the last few days. Overall it's a great game and I would recommend it to everyone.

Back