Horizon: Zero Dawn (robot dinosaurs)

Don't you have to do the corrupt zones and cauldrons to advance in the story?

I don't think they affect main quests, they are their own section on the menu. But I did all that stuff before I did anything in meridian. So if it was required to be done at certain point in the main story I had already done them. I think maybe earlier on you had to clear a couple corrupted zones to advance past a city or something.

I made a huge mistake, I bought this game yesterday along with a shit ton of booze....I guess late last night I started the game lol don't even remember the opening at all.

I don't think they affect main quests, they are their own section on the menu. But I did all that stuff before I did anything in meridian. So if it was required to be done at certain point in the main story I had already done them. I think maybe earlier on you had to clear a couple corrupted zones to advance past a city or something.
Yeah that's the part I'm on now, to clear corrupt zones to get into a city gate . I have beat one cauldron , i guess they are optional but allow you to control the machines , or certain machines

Yeah that's the part I'm on now, to clear corrupt zones to get into a city gate . I have beat one cauldron , i guess they are optional but allow you to control the machines , or certain machines

Ok yeah you have to do those but after I think you're free to roam and do whatever(what I did).

Yes allows you to corrupt the machines.

Playing on hard, done all the cauldrons and long necks, well on in the story I think been doing side missions and errands as I go, need 2 power cells for the special armour, currently at level 41.

Great game, best I've played this year (Zelda included)

Don't you have to do the corrupt zones and cauldrons to advance in the story?

Nope. Cauldron's are only for an ability to override machines. Corrupted zones are pretty much just experience and crazy fights outside the introduction of them (the quest you just did)

I'd suggest you do both though, the override ability makes fights hilarious. I ran into two Ravagers, overrode one and they started fighting. Mine dominated the fight, then had to deal with 4 Glinthawk's that came for the dead machine. While I was hiding in my bush I hear a weird noise to my right, turn and see a cloaked Stalker about 2 feet from me looking at the melee. Overrode him as well and he turned around and started blasting two more Stalkers that had joined him.

Wish I had saved the video lol.

And as far as corrupted zones, ran into my first two Rockbreakers (I don't know how it took so long, i'm 40+ hours into the game) in a corrupted zone. That was. . . interesting lol. Felt like fighting a god damn shark.

It's nice to override a Thunderjaw:)

Finally got into this last night.

Had a couple of 5 minute plays previously and was feeling a little overwhelmed and struggling to know where to go. After a longer stint have worked most of my issues out.

Currently Level 4 and ready to do The Proving.

Nope. Cauldron's are only for an ability to override machines. Corrupted zones are pretty much just experience and crazy fights outside the introduction of them (the quest you just did)

I'd suggest you do both though, the override ability makes fights hilarious. I ran into two Ravagers, overrode one and they started fighting. Mine dominated the fight, then had to deal with 4 Glinthawk's that came for the dead machine. While I was hiding in my bush I hear a weird noise to my right, turn and see a cloaked Stalker about 2 feet from me looking at the melee. Overrode him as well and he turned around and started blasting two more Stalkers that had joined him.

Wish I had saved the video lol.

And as far as corrupted zones, ran into my first two Rockbreakers (I don't know how it took so long, i'm 40+ hours into the game) in a corrupted zone. That was. . . interesting lol. Felt like fighting a god damn shark.
Yeah I have had a few come to my aid. Today when I was hiding I saw three bandits fighting a shell walker... he killed them but they got his life down pretty far.. after he killed them i shot him with two arrows and dropped him... was funny seeing bandits fighting machines

I tried one of the trials, where you had to kill 3 or 4 watchers and harvest them within 1:30. There are friggin flying robots, watchers, and others all swarming me at once. I got absolutely slaughtered and turned off the game after 3 or 4 tries lol.

jeeeeeeeeesus christ. i finally got to meridian. i fart around a lot, do stuff all over map, do sidequests, etc... and it took me a couple hours to do all the crap in meridian.. i had so many of the special items, loot crate supplies, etc.

p.s.: F OFF, rock bundle boxes, i had to throw 200 rocks on the ground so that i could loot the rock bundles to clear my damned loot box inventory lol.

this game's great. i'm like lvl 30 so far.

the one thing that's bizarre to me is the quest "levels" -- they seem totally wrong. sometimes a lvl 12 quest is a: given to me later in the game than some lvl 25 quest, and sometimes it's more difficult than the latter, too.

p.s.: T-rex dinosaur was the highlight of the game so far for me. so f'ing cool. it has so many weapons, haha. go go cheesing strategy of rock formations in the middle of the area to block stuff!

jeeeeeeeeesus christ. i finally got to meridian. i fart around a lot, do stuff all over map, do sidequests, etc... and it took me a couple hours to do all the crap in meridian.. i had so many of the special items, loot crate supplies, etc.

p.s.: F OFF, rock bundle boxes, i had to throw 200 rocks on the ground so that i could loot the rock bundles to clear my damned loot box inventory lol.

this game's great. i'm like lvl 30 so far.

the one thing that's bizarre to me is the quest "levels" -- they seem totally wrong. sometimes a lvl 12 quest is a: given to me later in the game than some lvl 25 quest, and sometimes it's more difficult than the latter, too.

p.s.: T-rex dinosaur was the highlight of the game so far for me. so f'ing cool. it has so many weapons, haha. go go cheesing strategy of rock formations in the middle of the area to block stuff!

The T-Rex guys get super easy once you get a few pieces of critical gear, and they are guaranteed to drop 3 purple items so they make for great farming as well. The first few I dropped I used a TON of resources, but after I got my strategy down I used almost nothing and mowed through them.

Since you've hit Meridian you should have access to all the Shadow Bows. I don't recall which level of bow fired off the detonating arrows, I just went straight for the Shadow Sniper bow and had access to it. Along with the Sling with freeze shots and Ropecaster make them easy pickens to drop in under a 2 minutes.

They have an antenna box in the middle of their back, if you land a detonating arrow on this spot when it blows it will take out the antenna and both of Disc Launchers on its sides. I usually fire the arrow from a hidden position, once it blows I pop up and Ropecast him until he drops, then freeze him with the sling, finally once he's frozen and tripped up I pick up the Disc Launchers and blow him pieces. One Disc Launcher is usually enough, but every once in a while I needed to grab the second to finish him off.

By the end I would use 1 arrow, 5 Rope, and 4 Ice Shots and be done with a cycle in 2~3 minutes. Not only was he dropping Rare loot, I would also get around 200 metal scraps and a few other resources. There is one east of Meridian that has a bonfire right next to him so after the fight I would quick save and reload, and after the reload he would be back to farm again. Total cycle from start of one fight to the start of the next was like 3 minutes so I loaded up all of my gear with purple upgrades in a pretty short amount of time.

Borderlands, no. Too early to really draw connections to Zelda.

I'd say Far Cry (for the gathering/outpost clearing/hunting/crafting), Witcher (using your senses to solve "cases"), and Uncharted (climbing/etc).

late reply, i know

i'd say horizon is far cry meets the witcher in a post-post apocalyptic setting

it draws a LOT from the witcher. (and that's a very good thing).

I was on the fence but the thread convinced me to get it sometime this week. Do all/most of you play on the Pro? Feel like I'm missing out with just my regular PS4 lol

yea i'm on the pro

it's a pain in the ass switching between VR and HDR, but it's worth it

game is fuckin GORGEOUS.

Picked this up and sunk a couple hours into it.

Apart from all the matriarch and 'diversity' bs that reviewers praise, I am liking this a lot.

that's all a non-issue for me

there's almost zero relevance to the fact that she's a girl so far for me, it's moot. and i haven't even seen the matriarchs in 20+ hours, nor do i care about one of the several civilizations being a matriarchy

what's everyone's standard 4 weapons, etc?

i personally don't ever use either of the two slings.. i find them awkward to use and i think you can get just about every element elsewhere, anyway..

don't care for the rattler, either. i feel it's inaccurate as hell and i get hit when i try to use it, lol.

the war bow is fine, no issue w/it and against certain enemies, it can be a great tool (i.e. ice arrows)

but i primarily just use the standard bow + the sniper bow along with the tripcaster/ropecaster

i am, however, a bit disappointed w/the armor choices. most of them look shitty and also don't change much. i basically walk around with two armors. i mostly use the blazon armor(s) because i think they look the coolest (mmm, flat-tummy athletic girl look!) or throw on my stealth gear when i feel like doing a bandit camp in full stealth or w/e.

what's everyone's standard 4 weapons, etc?

i personally don't ever use either of the two slings.. i find them awkward to use and i think you can get just about every element elsewhere, anyway..

don't care for the rattler, either. i feel it's inaccurate as hell and i get hit when i try to use it, lol.

the war bow is fine, no issue w/it and against certain enemies, it can be a great tool (i.e. ice arrows)

but i primarily just use the standard bow + the sniper bow along with the tripcaster/ropecaster

i am, however, a bit disappointed w/the armor choices. most of them look shitty and also don't change much. i basically walk around with two armors. i mostly use the blazon armor(s) because i think they look the coolest (mmm, flat-tummy athletic girl look!) or throw on my stealth gear when i feel like doing a bandit camp in full stealth or w/e.

My main weapon set was usually standard Shadow Bow, Shadow Sniper, Ropercaster, and one of the 2 types of Slings depending on the situation. For elemental I found that Sling could apply it faster than the War Bow, even when nocking the extra arrows. When hunting big game I would use the standard Sling for applying status effect, and use the Blast Sling when running mission with a lot of people. When bandits/raiders are moving in on you head shots start to get hard to pull off when you concentration is used up, but with the Blast Sling modded for pure damage I could take out just about any human with a single sticky bomb, no head shot required. Sometimes I would land a sticky bomb and they would run for cover by a friend and I would take both out.

I didn't care for the Rattler either, when up close I prefer the staff, it has a few over powered combos. You can take out whole camps without being seen using the Lure Call + Stealth Attack combo, it's obsene how well this works. Then mid/late game as had taken all of the staff damage output skills I could. Then another great combo is the one that heavy strikes almost always knock down enemies which opens them up to Crit Strike. When taking on some of the bigger robots like Stalker I could Lure Call + Silent Strike for huge opening damage, then wait for them to get up, Heavy Strike for a 1 hit knock down + Critical Strike for another huge chunk of damage. This would kill a mojority of enemies, robo or human, and if it didn't just wait for them to get back up for another Heavy Strike knock down + Crit Strike. This was so effective at points I almost stopped using my bow for most situations.

Didn't bother much with the Tripcaster. Seemed like to much battle prep to get into a fight, I was more bull headed with my approach. Even for big game that the staff combos wouldn't be effective on, I prefered the Ropecaster/Sling combo.

As for armor(pre Shield Weaver) I used the Heavy Nora Protector for a lot, and had the stealth set when I wanted to play extra sneaky.

My main weapon set was usually standard Shadow Bow, Shadow Sniper, Ropercaster, and one of the 2 types of Slings depending on the situation. For elemental I found that Sling could apply it faster than the War Bow, even when nocking the extra arrows. When hunting big game I would use the standard Sling for applying status effect, and use the Blast Sling when running mission with a lot of people. When bandits/raiders are moving in on you head shots start to get hard to pull off when you concentration is used up, but with the Blast Sling modded for pure damage I could take out just about any human with a single sticky bomb, no head shot required. Sometimes I would land a sticky bomb and they would run for cover by a friend and I would take both out.

I didn't care for the Rattler either, when up close I prefer the staff, it has a few over powered combos. You can take out whole camps without being seen using the Lure Call + Stealth Attack combo, it's obsene how well this works. Then mid/late game as had taken all of the staff damage output skills I could. Then another great combo is the one that heavy strikes almost always knock down enemies which opens them up to Crit Strike. When taking on some of the bigger robots like Stalker I could Lure Call + Silent Strike for huge opening damage, then wait for them to get up, Heavy Strike for a 1 hit knock down + Critical Strike for another huge chunk of damage. This would kill a mojority of enemies, robo or human, and if it didn't just wait for them to get back up for another Heavy Strike knock down + Crit Strike. This was so effective at points I almost stopped using my bow for most situations.

Didn't bother much with the Tripcaster. Seemed like to much battle prep to get into a fight, I was more bull headed with my approach. Even for big game that the staff combos wouldn't be effective on, I prefered the Ropecaster/Sling combo.

As for armor(pre Shield Weaver) I used the Heavy Nora Protector for a lot, and had the stealth set when I wanted to play extra sneaky.

Rattler works great in combination with freeze status effect, freeze sling. The ability to do a ton of damage on frozen enemies saved my ass until i figured out how to use tear arrows.

Really good set of diverse weapons in this game makes combat different for everyone

hrmmm i'll try freeze sling more. is it faster freezing effect than the war bow's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back