Crystal clear footage of New York in 1911, kind of eerie

Its crazy how everyone in that video is long gone. Its kind of eerie knowing that you are watching the lives of people who are all dead.

It's crazy to think that WW1 and WW2 hasn't even happened yet and many other important events in the 20th century.

The audio obviously can't be real. Who went to the trouble of dubbing that?

The footage is owned by the Museum of Modern Art so I would guess they are the ones who dubbed it.

Whoever did it did a HELL of a job.

z6ATlL3.jpg

I just watched some similar footage they recently discovered of San Fransisco before the earthquake. It was shot from a streetcar traveling through the city. Pretty amazing.

I just watched some similar footage they recently discovered of San Fransisco before the earthquake. It was shot from a streetcar traveling through the city. Pretty amazing.

That's good vid as well

Here's a vid of LA in the 50s

Too bad we can't time Travel to the past.

That's good vid as well

Here's a vid of LA in the 50s

Too bad we can't time Travel to the past.

I also recently discovered HD footage from the nineties that was pretty disorienting. Look up a video called "surreal nineties HD demo" or something like that.

The footage is owned by the Museum of Modern Art so I would guess they are the ones who dubbed it.

Whoever did it did a HELL of a job.

Could they not have recorded the audio on a separate device while filming? Or is that what we’re taking about - someone from today splicing together the audio with the video they recorded? Or did someone just make up some sound effects for it much later? I am confused.

Could they not have recorded the audio on a separate device while filming? Or is that what we’re taking about - someone from today splicing together the audio with the video they recorded? Or did someone just make up some sound effects for it much later? I am confused.

According to the video's description: "Slowed down footage to a natural rate and added in sound for ambiance." So that would indicate a soundtrack was created later and dubbed in.

One thing to keep in mind is that films with sync sound didn't come around until the late 1920s and, to my knowledge at least, there were no sound recorders at the time that were portable enough to easily just run around the city with. And even if they did lug something around with them, the sound wouldn't be that crisp and clear.

According to the video's description: "Slowed down footage to a natural rate and added in sound for ambiance." So that would indicate a soundtrack was created later and dubbed in.

One thing to keep in mind is that films with sync sound didn't come around until the late 1920s and, to my knowledge at least, there were no sound recorders at the time that were portable enough to easily just run around the city with. And even if they did lug something around with them, the sound wouldn't be that crisp and clear.

That’s what I figured. But it would have been awesome if they did lug around some kind of sound recorder. They could clean it up with today’s tech. I’m sure that video was cleaned up to some degree. There were probably some pixels added.

I'm telling you being a teenager in the 80's was something special...even then you knew you were in one of the greatest decades...imo...the only other decade that could top the 80's might be the 50's...

The 80s was one of the worst decades. Music went to shit along with everything else.

That was awesome. There was some recent footage discovered of a trip down Market street shortly before the 1906 SF earthquake. It’s of similar quality.

I also recently saw some photos from some turn of the century chap who managed to create a. button size camera and thus take surprisingly candid photos that were pretty cool. I’ll try to find both and post soon.

How about another New York time capsule, this time HD video footage from 1993.

HD video in 1993? Yeah, there was an HD VHS format that was being experimented with at the time.

Obviously video footage from 1993 isn't uncommon, but to see it this sharp and clear is kind of weird.

Cool video, of course watching Friends or Seinfeld episodes from the mid 90s does the trick too.

Cool video, of course watching Friends or Seinfeld episodes from the mid 90s does the trick too.

Yeah, you can always go back and watch old movies or TV shows, but I think it's different when you're capturing reality. Real people doing real, unscripted shit.

Yeah, you can always go back and watch old movies or TV shows, but I think it's different when you're capturing reality. Real people doing real, unscripted shit.

Sometimes movies are better time pieces than actual footage though.

I'm cautious to say this but Kids is a ridiculous but fairly accurate time piece of 1990 if you were 15 and a semi-rebellious kid in Manhattan. A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints reminds me of my mother and her friends. Sure these are characterizations of the typical personalities but it conveys a ton of information in a short period of time.

Would you live in the early 1900's

I mean if you could would you go and do that

Sometimes I think I would like to live in an earlier time

As a Native American Indian fuck no! Lol

Just to be killed for being Native American.smh

Back