New sparring footage

Hello everyone

Since my first smoker around 3 weeks ago I've been training more seriously going to the gym 3x a week without missing session (I know it's not exceptional but I'm a 36yo with 2 jobs and 3 kids so I'm pretty happy about the frequency).

Yesterday I sparred with a friend of mine, I met him at the calisthenics park earlier this year and we sympathized. We also workout in the same fitness gym and there is a ring, heavy bags and stuff, so we sparred there.

For reference : he's a 19 years old amateur boxer, is 3-0 and will go pro next year. He's been training for 3 years, going on his 4th, I've been training since September. He's 6'2 (189cm) and I'm 5'7 (171cm). We're the same weight (145lb/66KG).

We did 4 rounds of 3mn each. I tried to not bob and weave uselessly when not at range like I did in my smoker, move my feet more, throw hard when I managed to close the distance and use the Mayweather/Corrales combo that @Tuvatuva showed me.

Spoiler: I got knocked out on a liver shot a few seconds before the end lol. He gave me some good spleen shots too and I got knocked down a couple times, I didn't know those ones hurt like that lol.

After reviewing the footage he told me he was going at 70% intensity. 50% in the first round then he ramped up the intensity more as I asked him to.

Your advices are again more than welcome. I am motivated to train seriously for my next smoker, even outside the gym. My gym is closing two weeks for the winter holidays (the gymnasium is owned by the city) and I'm planning to do footwork drills, heavy bag work and some private sessions during this time.

Grateful in advance for the insights 🙏

Are you Romanian?

I cannot offer anything unique but curios to know if you guys have the same trainer?

I ask because I noticed you were squared up and he was side ways with hands down and then he would square up as well. I had different boxing trainers and some would teach squaring up and others taught to go side ways and using an active lead hand to set up power shots and combos. He did good.

Do you have a particular direction with the development of your style?

Are you Romanian?

I cannot offer anything unique but curios to know if you guys have the same trainer?

I ask because I noticed you were squared up and he was side ways with hands down and then he would square up as well. I had different boxing trainers and some would teach squaring up and others taught to go side ways and using an active lead hand to set up power shots and combos. He did good.

No I'm french. Funnily enough and it's a not too well known fact, french and Romanian languages share a lot of words and Romania is even in the "francophonie" countries with Canada, Belgium and ex - french colonies

No we don't even train in the same boxing gyms.

My coach teaches both I'm just not good enough in sparring yet to be honesg

Not yet but I'm slowly starting to. Generally I'm on the smaller side so I'm trying to lear the peek-a-boo and different ways to close the distance. I'm also working on head movement and defense.

My coach told me I must try to learn some out fighting too because the rare times I've sparred someone smaller I instinctively closed the distance instead of keeping them at bay with my jab.

Back