New sparring footage

Koya

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Since my first smoker around 3 weeks ago I've been training more seriously going to the gym 3x a week without missing session (I know it's not exceptional but I'm a 36yo with 2 jobs and 3 kids so I'm pretty happy about the frequency).

Yesterday I sparred with a friend of mine, I met him at the calisthenics park earlier this year and we sympathized. We also workout in the same fitness gym and there is a ring, heavy bags and stuff, so we sparred there.

For reference : he's a 19 years old amateur boxer, is 3-0 and will go pro next year. He's been training for 3 years, going on his 4th, I've been training since September. He's 6'2 (189cm) and I'm 5'7 (171cm). We're the same weight (145lb/66KG).

We did 4 rounds of 3mn each. I tried to not bob and weave uselessly when not at range like I did in my smoker, move my feet more, throw hard when I managed to close the distance and use the Mayweather/Corrales combo that @Tuvatuva showed me.

Spoiler: I got knocked out on a liver shot a few seconds before the end lol. He gave me some good spleen shots too and I got knocked down a couple times, I didn't know those ones hurt like that lol.

After reviewing the footage he told me he was going at 70% intensity. 50% in the first round then he ramped up the intensity more as I asked him to.

Your advices are again more than welcome. I am motivated to train seriously for my next smoker, even outside the gym. My gym is closing two weeks for the winter holidays (the gymnasium is owned by the city) and I'm planning to do footwork drills, heavy bag work and some private sessions during this time.

Grateful in advance for the insights 🙏

You're looking a lot better already! That's impressive man. This guy is visibly better than your last opponent and looks way more comfortable in the ring.

Some notes on some good things I see.
You're jabbing more, both to the head and body.
You're parrying the jab.
You're ducking and rolling under his jab while circling.
You're not stepping straight back after your combo to reset.
You timed a jab to the body when he threw his jab.
You're not always waiting for his attack to end and for your "turn" but throwing back amidst of his attack. Do more of this.
You attempted some counters like answering back right away with a straight when he jabbed. Also do more of this.
You mix up body shots and head shots in your flurries instead of all just headshots like most novices would throw. This is very good.

When analyzing sparring or fight footage, one thing you can look for is the narrative or "story" of the fight. In this case, you're mostly getting chased around the ring with some moments of aggression on your end. It seems you haven't really found your range or place in the fight where you got comfortable. It was obvious you did your best work on the inside, but you didn't look quite comfortable. It looked like you were in a hurry to throw a flurry before he gets away. And look to see when and where you get hit most.

Right now I think your biggest issue is distance management. You're jabbing more to initiate attacks, which is good but you can also use your jab more as a distance managing tool, a timing tool, as a distraction, etc. Which is why the jab is the important punch in boxing and actually the most difficult to master. Do some drills with a partner or do some very light sparring where you're just touching each other with jabs.

A note on the jab to the body set up for the lead hook, or set ups in general: you have to read your opponent's reaction to the set up. If you jab to the body to set up something upstairs, you're looking to see if your opponent is reacting to it (i.e. lowering his jabs). In your case, your sparring partner didn't even react to it which is one reason why you couldn't land the lead hook. You had the right idea of going body body head, but make it less predictable. Pepper in body jabs throughout the fight and step in to dig it in deep. If at some point he starts reacting to it, that's when you can feint and throw a lead hook. If he doesn't react to it, just dig into his body more.

About your lead hook, you're not used to the mechanics of it. It takes a long time before some movements feel truly comfortable. Practice throwing the hook off of your jab. It feels really awkward at first throwing multiple punches off the same hand but it takes practice. I used to spend a few rounds each training session just throwing the lead hand. Hook off the jab, slip-lead hook, double or triple lead hooks, body hooks, etc.

About infighting, find your balance when you're on the inside. You don't have to throw nonstop when you're on the inside. You can try to control your opponent to keep him there and look for openings. And practice throwing short and tight shots up close. Use the biggest bag in the gym to "wrestle" with it and throw short punches.

Find a counter that works for you. If you can counter your opponent coming in, he'll be more hesitant to chase you around the ring and throw with no disregard. Try to time a right hand for example when he comes in. Even if it doesn't land, the threat of a counter might make him think twice. One way I practiced this was by timing a right hand on the bag every time the bag swung forward as if it was my opponent stepping in. You can do this with a jab as well of course.

About defense, I can see that you're mostly getting hit when you're on the backfoot and getting chased against the ropes. A part of this is just inexperience but you tend to just turtle up and breakdown your posture. Maintain posture and look at your opponent. It'll be easier to see punches coming to block them and even if you do get hit, the punches you see coming are easier to take. Try the catch and shoot counter technique where you throw back as soon your opponent lands on your guard. Sometimes you're giving him nothing back so he's just punching you at his leisure. Give him something to think about. It's also okay to step forward to smother him and clinch. You might get warned by the ref in a match but it's better than getting pummeled.

You also looked a bit tense because of your shoulders although I don't know if you actually are tense, or has more to do your posture. I also think a lot of your issues at the moment will improve simply by training and sparring more since you're quite green.

It's funny hearing you say "putain!" after that body shot haha. I imagine you'd hear that a lot in french boxing gyms.

If you're training alone, I recommend getting a tennis ball and band. It's a fun and useful training tool for timing and coordination. In this video Loma doesn't do it, but you can also practice defense by hitting the ball harder so that it comes at your face and slip it. Other than that, shadow box, a lot. I also personally think explosive movements like box jumps or sprinting uphill are really useful.

You're looking a lot better already! That's impressive man. This guy is visibly better than your last opponent and looks way more comfortable in the ring.

You're parrying the jab.
You're not always waiting for his attack to end and for your "turn" but throwing back amidst of his attack. Do more of this.
You attempted some counters like answering back right away with a straight when he jabbed. Also do more of this.
You mix up body shots and head shots in your flurries instead of all just headshots like most novices would throw. This is very good.

When analyzing sparring or fight footage, one thing you can look for is the narrative or "story" of the fight. In this case, you're mostly getting chased around the ring with some moments of aggression on your end. It seems you haven't really found your range or place in the fight where you got comfortable. It was obvious you did your best work on the inside, but you didn't look quite comfortable. It looked like you were in a hurry to throw a flurry before he gets away. And look to see when and where you get hit most.

Right now I think your biggest issue is distance management. You're jabbing more to initiate attacks, which is good but you can also use your jab more as a distance managing tool, a timing tool, as a distraction, etc. Which is why the jab is the important punch in boxing and actually the most difficult to master. Do some drills with a partner or do some very light sparring where you're just touching each other with jabs.

A note on the jab to the body set up for the lead hook, or set ups in general: you have to read your opponent's reaction to the set up. If you jab to the body to set up something upstairs, you're looking to see if your opponent is reacting to it (i.e. lowering his jabs). In your case, your sparring partner didn't even react to it which is one reason why you couldn't land the lead hook. You had the right idea of going body body head, but make it less predictable. Pepper in body jabs throughout the fight and step in to dig it in deep. If at some point he starts reacting to it, that's when you can feint and throw a lead hook. If he doesn't react to it, just dig into his body more.

About your lead hook, you're not used to the mechanics of it. It takes a long time before some movements feel truly comfortable. Practice throwing the hook off of your jab. It feels really awkward at first throwing multiple punches off the same hand but it takes practice. I used to spend a few rounds each training session just throwing the lead hand. Hook off the jab, slip-lead hook, double or triple lead hooks, body hooks, etc.

About infighting, find your balance when you're on the inside. You don't have to throw nonstop when you're on the inside. You can try to control your opponent to keep him there and look for openings. And practice throwing short and tight shots up close. Use the biggest bag in the gym to "wrestle" with it and throw short punches.

Find a counter that works for you. If you can counter your opponent coming in, he'll be more hesitant to chase you around the ring and throw with no disregard. Try to time a right hand for example when he comes in. Even if it doesn't land, the threat of a counter might make him think twice. One way I practiced this was by timing a right hand on the bag every time the bag swung forward as if it was my opponent stepping in. You can do this with a jab as well of course.

About defense, I can see that you're mostly getting hit when you're on the backfoot and getting chased against the ropes. A part of this is just inexperience but you tend to just turtle up and breakdown your posture. Maintain posture and look at your opponent. It'll be easier to see punches coming to block them and even if you do get hit, the punches you see coming are easier to take. Try the catch and shoot counter technique where you throw back as soon your opponent lands on your guard. Sometimes you're giving him nothing back so he's just punching you at his leisure. Give him something to think about. It's also okay to step forward to smother him and clinch. You might get warned by the ref in a match but it's better than getting pummeled.

You also looked a bit tense because of your shoulders although I don't know if you actually are tense, or has more to do your posture. I also think a lot of your issues at the moment will improve simply by training and sparring more since you're quite green.

It's funny hearing you say "putain!" after that body shot haha. I imagine you'd hear that a lot in french boxing gyms.

If you're training alone, I recommend getting a tennis ball and band. It's a fun and useful training tool for timing and coordination. In this video Loma doesn't do it, but you can also practice defense by hitting the ball harder so that it comes at your face and slip it. Other than that, shadow box, a lot. I also personally think explosive movements like box jumps or sprinting uphill are really useful.

Thanks man ! So many good advices! I'm on the go now but when I get a calmer moment today I'll give a more in depth answer, there are too many interesting things in your comment haha

You're parrying the jab.

Thanks man, I totally was in a hurry to not let him get away. Which led me to blow up my gas tank a few times tbh. Got hi the most on the body but I think it's because he was nice to me haha

We do it sometimes at the gym but I'll try to work exactly on this more. They say you know how good a fighter is by how good his jab is, reminds me of that.

Hmm I see. I was too fixated on it it's true, should have went with the reactions of my oppopnent instead. Will try to spread out the body jab more along the fight next time.

Yeah I'm absolute shit at the lead hook right now (and at large hooks too, I mean the long distance ones). Will work on the lead handmore.
A question: when you hook off the jab, you bring back your hand to your chin firstafter the jab and send the hook after it or you just jab-hook in almost the same movement ?

My coach told me about that exact "wrestle" and throw short punches drill with the heavy bag.

I do like the right hand as a counter, especially when I'm getting pierced up and am shelling. Will work that on the bag too, man I have a long list on my notebook now, got some boxing homework for 2024 hahaha

I do indeed have to look at the coming punches more. It was my biggest flaw when I started in september, I wasn't looking at all. And yes I did felt that I was really giving nothing back sometimes when I watched the footage. Another drill for me lol.

I don't have any clinching reflexes now that you mention it. Didn't think about it at all. Tbh I feel like 3 months of boxing made me forget any grappling I used to know haha, it's a bit akward.

I'm always tense in the traps and shoulders. It's not really postural, it's more that I'm a tense guy and I am "rigid" even if I'm mentally calm. My coach tells me I move like a robot when the goal is to move like butterfly so I should relax and be more fluid.

Haha, tbh I have really dumbed down on the swearing since I have kids because I don't want them to take that habit, but boy do those sparring get those old habits out of me again quick lmao

I have that exact object, I like it for warming up. I shadow box a lot but I'm worried that my technical flaws in punching, moving, etc. gets repeated during it.

And I like box jumps and sprinting, don't do them often but I will try to slide them in more. I also do a lot of heavy kettlebell swing for what it's worth

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me. Peace

Thanks man, I totally was in a hurry to not let him get away. Which led me to blow up my gas tank a few times tbh. Got hi the most on the body but I think it's because he was nice to me haha
The reason he was able to tee off on you like that was because you were in the worst position you could be. You were just at the end of his punching range against the ropes which means as the shorter guy you couldn't hit him nor could you create distance. In this case you have to move away laterally or step in to smother him. A cue you can use is when you feel your back touch the ropes. Use that as a cue to step sideways.

Yeah I'm absolute shit at the lead hook right now (and at large hooks too, I mean the long distance ones). Will work on the lead handmore.
A question: when you hook off the jab, you bring back your hand to your chin firstafter the jab and send the hook after it or you just jab-hook in almost the same movement ?
That's actually not an easy question to answer. It depends on the rhythm and timing and how your opponent reacts. You'll find that over time, things like distance, timing, rhythm, positioning, how your opponent reacts are far more important than doing the movement "technically" correctly. But as for now, do things technically soundly. Throw each movement technically soundly and put them together. Try to do it in slower and faster beats.

I do like the right hand as a counter, especially when I'm getting pierced up and am shelling. Will work that on the bag too, man I have a long list on my notebook now, got some boxing homework for 2024 hahaha
It's a lot so prioritize things one at a time. I remembered when I first started, every time I would learn a new move, I would just spam that one move in sparring.

I do indeed have to look at the coming punches more. It was my biggest flaw when I started in september, I wasn't looking at all. And yes I did felt that I was really giving nothing back sometimes when I watched the footage. Another drill for me lol.
When I first started, I would sometime deliberately shell up and practice looking at my sparring partner and see the punches coming at me. The point was to be able to simply look rather than working defense. This was during light sparring of course. Or I would use the double end bag to have it swing and hit me before working on the timing to slip it or punch it.

I don't have any clinching reflexes now that you mention it. Didn't think about it at all. Tbh I feel like 3 months of boxing made me forget any grappling I used to know haha, it's a bit akward.
I came from a judo background when I first started boxing. I had it in my mind that grappling and striking were completely separate worlds and that I'm not supposed to grab my opponent at all in boxing. It was only later I realized "Oh shit, I can actually sort of grapple in boxing too." Roberto Duran and Ricky Hatton are good examples to learn from. Also both short guys who regularly fought taller opponents.

I have that exact object, I like it for warming up. I shadow box a lot but I'm worried that my technical flaws in punching, moving, etc. gets repeated during it.
Go slow and focus on technique. Work on an entry, attack, and subsequent defensive move.

Always glad to help a brother out. Goodluck man.

It's a lot so prioritize things one at a time. I remembered when I first started, every time I would learn a new move, I would just spam that one move in sparring.
I'm throwing a lot of info at you but your trainer should have a plan to build you as a fighter, helping you prioritize what you need the most at your stage of development. I'm not a trainer, but if I had to train you, I would focus on the basic things first.

Film your sparring sessions and like I mentioned before, look at when and where you get hit the most, when and where you are most successful, and what you can do to minimize your damage while maximizing your chance of success. Like in the Art of War, fight him where he is weakest and avoid him where he is strongest.

Now this is a chance for me to brag and talk about one of the best sparring sessions I had when I was starting out, but maybe it can give you an idea of what I mean. About a couple years into training, I sparred an active amateur who was younger, taller, and heavier than me as well as more experienced. Sort of like you and your sparring partner. He's competed in a few amateur tourneys and smokers while the most experience I had at that point was some tough sparring wars with fighters from other gyms, but I haven't actually competed yet.

Because I'm so short, my go to approach was always to close the distance and fight on the inside since I would just get tagged on the outside. Sure enough he was lighting me up with jabs and straights on the outside and when I got in close where I thought I would be safe, he would beat me up on the inside too with short hooks and uppercuts. I felt helpless because I was getting beat at both ranges so I wasn't sure what I could do. Between rounds I kept racking my brain trying to figure out why I was getting beat up. Like a puzzle I was trying to solve.

But then after the first 2 rounds of getting my ass kicked, something clicked and I realized I was having the most success throwing while closing the distance because he wasn't countering and rather just letting me get close. But since I couldn't stay inside lest I get my ass kicked, after I had to close in with a combination, I had move out of the way immediately before he started fighting on the inside. One thing that worked really well was to immediately follow up a combination with a double jab as I circled away (I picked that up from watching Floyd Sr. train his fighters because he tends to have his guys end combinations with a double jab).

The rest of the sparring session was me staying outside of his punching range, then exploding into combinations while closing the distance and then jabbing my way out before he could respond. I barely got hit the rest of the session because I simply refused to engage where he was strong. I could tell my partner finished the session quite frustrated because he started off so well but he couldn't figure out what was happening in the end. To this way it is one my proudest moments in my boxing journey. I went up against a guy who on paper should've kicked my ass, and he did at first, but I was able to gameplan on the fly to figure out a way to neutralize his strengths.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what I mean.

Just skimming through it, you look about as well as you should. Just keep training and learning for now.

Settle down and box more. Stop running in, squaring up and just winging arm punches. Box.

You need more drill work and co ordination.

Your buddy’s “going pro” ? Is that in his head or some Backyard league ? Because he needs to stay in the unpaid leagues for a bit while longer. Way longer.
Unless he’s planning on being opponent No. 1-3 on somebody’s resume by way of KO.

You look a lot better huge props. You really work on your game. Interested to see how far you get.

Your buddy maybe just got down to your level I dont know , because if I just look at him how he boxed in the video it doesnt look like someone being close to a pro career.
But like I wrote maybe he is a lot better than he shows here.

Great job! Looking alot better! Can't say anything that wasn't addressed in the first reply.

I'm throwing a lot of info at you but your trainer should have a plan to build you as a fighter, helping you prioritize what you need the most at your stage of development. I'm not a trainer, but if I had to train you, I would focus on the basic things first.

Film your sparring sessions and like I mentioned before, look at when and where you get hit the most, when and where you are most successful, and what you can do to minimize your damage while maximizing your chance of success. Like in the Art of War, fight him where he is weakest and avoid him where he is strongest.

Now this is a chance for me to brag and talk about one of the best sparring sessions I had when I was starting out, but maybe it can give you an idea of what I mean. About a couple years into training, I sparred an active amateur who was younger, taller, and heavier than me as well as more experienced. Sort of like you and your sparring partner. He's competed in a few amateur tourneys and smokers while the most experience I had at that point was some tough sparring wars with fighters from other gyms, but I haven't actually competed yet.

Because I'm so short, my go to approach was always to close the distance and fight on the inside since I would just get tagged on the outside. Sure enough he was lighting me up with jabs and straights on the outside and when I got in close where I thought I would be safe, he would beat me up on the inside too with short hooks and uppercuts. I felt helpless because I was getting beat at both ranges so I wasn't sure what I could do. Between rounds I kept racking my brain trying to figure out why I was getting beat up. Like a puzzle I was trying to solve.

But then after the first 2 rounds of getting my ass kicked, something clicked and I realized I was having the most success throwing while closing the distance because he wasn't countering and rather just letting me get close. But since I couldn't stay inside lest I get my ass kicked, after I had to close in with a combination, I had move out of the way immediately before he started fighting on the inside. One thing that worked really well was to immediately follow up a combination with a double jab as I circled away (I picked that up from watching Floyd Sr. train his fighters because he tends to have his guys end combinations with a double jab).

The rest of the sparring session was me staying outside of his punching range, then exploding into combinations while closing the distance and then jabbing my way out before he could respond. I barely got hit the rest of the session because I simply refused to engage where he was strong. I could tell my partner finished the session quite frustrated because he started off so well but he couldn't figure out what was happening in the end. To this way it is one my proudest moments in my boxing journey. I went up against a guy who on paper should've kicked my ass, and he did at first, but I was able to gameplan on the fly to figure out a way to neutralize his strengths.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what I mean.

Thank you again, I apologize for responding this late. I have been battling an illness the last 2 weeks and unable to track. Will go back on Monday if the doc gives me the green light.

Btw I am doing a Mind Map with the most important stuff I have to work on for 2024 and it includes a lot of your advices, I will post it once it's done !

Just skimming through it, you look about as well as you should. Just keep training and learning for now.

Settle down and box more. Stop running in, squaring up and just winging arm punches. Box.

You need more drill work and co ordination.

Your buddy’s “going pro” ? Is that in his head or some Backyard league ? Because he needs to stay in the unpaid leagues for a bit while longer. Way longer.
Unless he’s planning on being opponent No. 1-3 on somebody’s resume by way of KO.

You look a lot better huge props. You really work on your game. Interested to see how far you get.

Your buddy maybe just got down to your level I dont know , because if I just look at him how he boxed in the video it doesnt look like someone being close to a pro career.
But like I wrote maybe he is a lot better than he shows here.

Thanks to you both. As I said haven't been training for two weeks because I was sick but I'm going back on Monday I hope.

My friend was going really easy on me tbh, maybe 60%, maximum 70%.

He's planned to go pro in the very beginning of 2025 so he still has one year to prepare. He's also freshly 19 and trains a lot so he progresses quick.

Honestly I can't say to me he seems leagues above my level so I can't judge, but his coach is getting him ready for early next year is what I know.

Personally I believe in him and that he can do kt but he's my friend so there's that lol

My friend was going really easy on me tbh, maybe 60%, maximum 70%.

He's planned to go pro in the very beginning of 2025 so he still has one year to prepare. He's also freshly 19 and trains a lot so he progresses quick.

Honestly I can't say to me he seems leagues above my level so I can't judge, but his coach is getting him ready for early next year is what I know.

Personally I believe in him and that he can do kt but he's my friend so there's that lol

It’s not about how hard he was or was not going, it’s his movements and motion that betray him.
He’s not there yet or even in the neighbourhood.

It is what it is and you won’t be able to do anything about it but just fyi some boxing coaches will blow smoke up your asses just to get you to commit that monthly and / or make some extra by setting you up to fail via ko against some actual potential prospect with some backing.

@Sinister could probably educate you on that. Bet he sees it on the regular.

It’s not about how hard he was or was not going, it’s his movements and motion that betray him.
He’s not there yet or even in the neighbourhood.

It is what it is and you won’t be able to do anything about it but just fyi some boxing coaches will blow smoke up your asses just to get you to commit that monthly and / or make some extra by setting you up to fail via ko against some actual potential prospect with some backing.

@Sinister could probably educate you on that. Bet he sees it on the regular.

Oh but I believe you. I've already heard about some shady stuff like that, it's sad.

We don't train at the same place so I don't know his coach. I just hope he gets there for his debut next year, he still has 12 month of training ahead of him. Should be doable in this time frame what do you think ? I like the guy a lot so I wish him the best

Oh but I believe you. I've already heard about some shady stuff like that, it's sad.

We don't train at the same place so I don't know his coach. I just hope he gets there for his debut next year, he still has 12 month of training ahead of him. Should be doable in this time frame what do you think ? I like the guy a lot so I wish him the best
What sport is he going pro in, and how many fights does he have?

I wasn't going to comment on your friend, since this thread isn't about him, but yeah.. he has a lot to work on. I wouldn't put him in a pro fight but there are a lot of people who aren't ready for the pros who get tossed in the meat grinder.

Same in Muay Thai. I'm in thailand now and a guy I know who's been training for two freaking months is being pushed by his gym to have a fight. Two months lol. He has terrible reaction to strikes being thrown at him, walks forward with his hands down and eats shots with his face in light sparring. Just wide open for a head kick. He's going to be canon fodder for a more serious fighter. but the people organizing the fight get money either way.

Hello everyone

Since my first smoker around 3 weeks ago I've been training more seriously going to the gym 3x a week without missing session (I know it's not exceptional but I'm a 36yo with 2 jobs and 3 kids so I'm pretty happy about the frequency).

Yesterday I sparred with a friend of mine, I met him at the calisthenics park earlier this year and we sympathized. We also workout in the same fitness gym and there is a ring, heavy bags and stuff, so we sparred there.

For reference : he's a 19 years old amateur boxer, is 3-0 and will go pro next year. He's been training for 3 years, going on his 4th, I've been training since September. He's 6'2 (189cm) and I'm 5'7 (171cm). We're the same weight (145lb/66KG).

We did 4 rounds of 3mn each. I tried to not bob and weave uselessly when not at range like I did in my smoker, move my feet more, throw hard when I managed to close the distance and use the Mayweather/Corrales combo that @Tuvatuva showed me.

Spoiler: I got knocked out on a liver shot a few seconds before the end lol. He gave me some good spleen shots too and I got knocked down a couple times, I didn't know those ones hurt like that lol.

After reviewing the footage he told me he was going at 70% intensity. 50% in the first round then he ramped up the intensity more as I asked him to.

Your advices are again more than welcome. I am motivated to train seriously for my next smoker, even outside the gym. My gym is closing two weeks for the winter holidays (the gymnasium is owned by the city) and I'm planning to do footwork drills, heavy bag work and some private sessions during this time.

Grateful in advance for the insights 🙏

Good job! What i notice is that when you swarm him, which is the correct thing to do since he s longer and more mobile, you sort of get carried away and throw a bunch of punches which may or may not do so much damage and tire you uselessly. Maybe sit more on your punches and pick your shots?

Otherwise I think you have the proper attitude with closing the distance on a visibly faster fighter with adequate footwork and a good 1 - 2.

Back