Crystal clear footage of New York in 1911, kind of eerie

G

Guestx

Man this is kind of weird to watch. It's almost like getting into a time machine and getting a glimpse at people just living their daily lives a hundred years ago.

It's a shame we don't have this kind of footage from 200 or even 300 years ago.

Give this a watch. It's fascinating.

Would you live in the early 1900's

I mean if you could would you go and do that

Sometimes I think I would like to live in an earlier time

I definitely would be interested in giving it a shot.

I think it would be difficult to make that decision if I had no way of reversing it, but if I could do it on a trial basis to check it out then I would be very interested in that.

I think the 1920s/30s/40s in particular would be very interesting. (As long as I could be financially well off in the 30s. I wouldn't want to live in a Hooverville because I just lost everything in the stock market.)

Bet none of those losers has more than fifty Facebook friends.

No chance if I couldn’t come back. Even if I was given a pill, that I would wake up with no memories of my current life and would have memories of my new life, I wouldn’t take it. Quality of life is so much better now.

Bet none of those losers has more than fifty Facebook friends.

I think it pretty interesting that everyone looks the same

99% of the guys are wearing suits and hats. Even looks like they are all wearing the same exact hat

Looks like a simpler and better time

Awesome. Time has always been something that gets my mind going. If I visit Abraham Lincoln's birthplace which is kind of close to me, I always end up thinking about how cool it is that little Abe was running around in the same spot that I'm standing. Same thing with the little cabin that John Carpenter grew up in that I pass by sometimes.

Or sometimes if I'm watching a really old movie I think of what my grandpa was doing as that scene was being shot.

tumblr_oq9kzqhuTy1vhel8co2_500.gif

I think it pretty interesting that everyone looks the same

99% of the guys are wearing suits and hats. Even looks like they are all wearing the same exact hat

You know that dude hobbling around on one leg was a tough MF. 1911 was definitely a time of able normative supremacy TM.

No chance if I couldn’t come back. Even if I was given a pill, that I would wake up with no memories of my current life and would have memories of my new life, I wouldn’t take it. Quality of life is so much better now.

I think quality of life might be one of the reasons why the mans man is long but dead now

Men were men in 191

Look at those beautiful bastards smoking on tabacoo pipes with amazing mustaches

To paraphrase a Louis C.K. bit, my demographic tends to avoid time travel.

I think that in our quest for technological advancement and globalization, simplicity really is something our lives--and our world--has lost. And I don't think that's for the better.

I think that there is a direct correlation between happiness and living in a world that feels manageable. Today's world doesn't really feel manageable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. Time has always been something that gets my mind going. If I visit Abraham Lincoln's birthplace which is kind of close to me, I always end up thinking about how cool it is that little Abe was running around in the same spot that I'm standing. Same thing with the little cabin that John Carpenter grew up in that I pass by sometimes.

Or sometimes if I'm watching a really old movie I think of what my grandpa was doing as that scene was being shot.

tumblr_oq9kzqhuTy1vhel8co2_500.gif

It is strange to think about how our lives really are nothing but a blip on the radar of eternity. It means a lot to us, but really, we are just another product of the assembly line of humans that has cranked out billions of people before us and will continue to crank out billions more after we're gone.

It is strange to think about how our lives really are nothing but a blip on the radar of eternity. It means a lot to us, but really, we are just another product of the assembly line of humans that has cranked out billions of people before us and will continue to crank out billions more after we're gone.

Depressing as shit when you say it like that

The majority of peoples lives are completely meaningless in the grand scheme of human evolution

And even human evolution is probably meaningless in the vastness of the Universe

I think that there is a direct correlation between happiness and living in a world that feels manageable. Today's world doesn't really feel manageable.

To be fair, that's the sort of stuff people have been complaining about since the start of writing.

It's all relative. People back in 1911 thought their own world had spiraled out of control and was to complex with all this new baffling technology. As did the 1800's and the 1700's and so on.

The majority of peoples lives are completely meaningless in the grand scheme of human evolution

And even human evolution is probably meaningless in the vastness of the Universe

I guess that all depends on whether or not we really are just a random byproduct of the universe's development or if there's more to our existence than is immediately apparent.

To be fair, that's the sort of stuff people have been complaining about since the start of writing.

It's all relative. People back in 1911 thought their own world had spiraled out of control and was to complex with all this new baffling technology. As did the 1800's and the 1700's and so on.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but what I can say, I think today it really is true and the reason is the Internet.

I didn't get this sense about life in the 1990s or even 00s. It's really just been in the last 10 or 15 years as the Internet's dominance over our lives has gotten out of control.

I guess that all depends on whether or not we really are just a random byproduct of the universe's development or if there's more to our existence than is immediately apparent.

Maybe people believe in Jesus or "Insert Religion" because the opposite side of the spectrum is just so depressing

But I feel like this is becoming a completely different thread

Back