Canelo - GGG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call it a hunch but I got GGG for the W but not by a KO. They'll both throw and in fact pretty hard, but nobody's going down and UD to GGG at the end.
Both have good jaws and good power but GGG seems more game and he'll get the nod.

If its not a KO or TKO, then GGG would be robbed by default.

Too much risk for Asian & European fighters to leave it to the judges when it involves a US or Mexican fighter.

My heart wants GGG to win.

My head thinks Canelo by a close decision.

Great clash of styles - cant wait to see how it plays out.

If its not a KO or TKO, then GGG would be robbed by default.

Too much risk for Asian & European fighters to leave it to the judges when it involves a US or Mexican fighter.

Exactly. That's why this fight isn't happening as Jacobs got the decision in a close fight last time out.

I see canelo digging hard to the body early and getting a late stoppage.

Perhaps, but the other extreme is that if GGG fights off the jab and uses his feet, Canelo won't get to the body as much. In fact, his heavier feet mean he will reach for those body blows and get decked in response. GGG has a sneaky right uppercut. Zero telegraphing off that.

Probably, we will see something down the middle between those two extremes.

A decision, one way or the other.

I'm calling Canelo by decision. He will be the faster one and his shots will do damage. GGG is powerful and will batter canelo but not enough to KO or win more than half the rounds.

GGG has looked like shit his last two fights and Canelo is coming into his prime. 35 years old, 400 amateur fights, and 37 professional fights GGG is 90 years old in boxing years.

You do realize that GGG has taken very little damage in most of his bouts. He is 35 and thus on the cusp. He could easily be a bit too old and got this fight a bit too late. But he isn't as worn as you think.

To say that he looks like shit is simply wrong. He rushed against a welterweight who he didn't respect. Why would he? A WW won't have the power to stop GGG. And Jacobs is frickin' good. Anybody fighting Jacobs that night looks mortal.

If Canelo gets his body work in early, then the fights gets even or slides in his favour. If GGG shuts him down with his better fighting at range, or catches him cleanly along the ropes, he has a good night. Discretion is the better part of valour. Both men will need to keep that in mind.

I don't know how easy it will be for GGG to catch Canelo cleanly either. At the same time, Canelo will probably hit GGG cleanly, but I don't think he has the magic touch with one punch to flat line a guy like GGG who has taken clean shots from big hitters. GGG maybe takes it and hits him back harder in the exchanges.

Damn good fight. I keep flipping a coin about it. Though, I bet most of us will say "oh yeah..." afterward, admitting that we overlooked something. At least, I know I will be saying that to myself.

Exactly. That's why this fight isn't happening as Jacobs got the decision in a close fight last time out.

Also see how Khan got robbed against Peterson.
Or the judges scorecard against Canelo prior to the KO.

Also see how Khan got robbed against Peterson.
Or the judges scorecard against Canelo prior to the KO.

Khan wasn't robbed against Peterson. Canelo has gotten some favorable scorecards and maybe that will play a role on fight night, but the whole Asian/Euro fighters don't have any chance in close fights in the States is flat out wrong (and completely ignores Golovkin getting the nod against Jacobs in a close fight in his last fight).

Khan wasn't robbed against Peterson. Canelo has gotten some favorable scorecards and maybe that will play a role on fight night, but the whole Asian/Euro fighters don't have any chance in close fights in the States is flat out wrong (and completely ignores Golovkin getting the nod against Jacobs in a close fight in his last fight).

In what world was Khan not robbed by Peterson? 2 point deductions from the ref, and he was on PEDs.

Obviously, not every single fight will be a robbery. GGG has a 'name' in the US, while Jacobs was a novice in comparison. The robberies im alluding to generally involve a fighter who's a "visitor" that the local judge either isn't aware of their reputation, or is someone who's expected to take the belt back to Europe or Asia.

It essentially comes down to either human psyche (being influenced by the crowd or ignorance); or economics. A US or Mexican fighter who fights in the States generate revenue for the local tourism, stadium, taxes, and businesses that benefit from fan spending. Whereas someone taking a belt away to another continent is a loss of an entire revenue source. Remember, these judges work for the State.

Had the Jacobs fight been GGG's first or second on US soil, then he may have lost the decision easily.

*These are all observations and hypotheses.

In what world was Khan not robbed by Peterson? 2 point deductions from the ref, and he was on PEDs.

Obviously, not every single fight will be a robbery. GGG has a 'name' in the US, while Jacobs was a novice in comparison. The robberies im alluding to generally involve a fighter who's a "visitor" that the local judge either isn't aware of their reputation, or is someone who's expected to take the belt back to Europe or Asia.

It essentially comes down to either human psyche (being influenced by the crowd or ignorance); or economics. A US or Mexican fighter who fights in the States generate revenue for the local tourism, stadium, taxes, and businesses that benefit from fan spending. Whereas someone taking a belt away to another continent is a loss of an entire revenue source. Remember, these judges work for the State.

Had the Jacobs fight been GGG's first or second on US soil, then he may have lost the decision easily.

At the very least one of those point deductions was deserved as you shouldn't be allowed to hold and push all fight to avoid the inside when you're getting battered there (as Khan was). It can also be argued that Peterson didn't even need both point deductions to win that fight (he technically did on the judges' cards, but it was very close either way). It was a close fight where Khan frequently fouled whenever Peterson tried to get inside and work (where Peterson had his most significant success). It wasn't a robbery.

Honestly this is the fight I've been waiting for, this is what boxing is about. Two great fighters settling the debate in the ring. I like them both that's why I've been super excited about this fight, but GGG by round 8 or 9. I think Canelo is great but fighting GGG he bit off way more than he can chew. Canelo has never fought a guy with more power and high boxing IQ Floyd beat him with skill. I mean people hate on GGG because he fought a beast in Jacobs and was close. Last time Nelo fought a top 5 p4p fighter he lost he was 21 but he was supposed to have a huge power advantage but he lost, so team triple 7 for me.

Last edited:
Honestly this is the fight I've been waiting for, this is what boxing is about. Two great fighters settling the debate in the ring. I like them both that's why I've been super excited about this fight, but GGG by round 8 or 9. I think Canelo is great but fighting GGG he bit off way more than he can chew. Canelo has never fought a guy with more power and high boxing IQ Floyd beat him with skill. I mean people hate on GGG because he fought a beast in Jacobs and was close. Last time Nelo fought a top 5 p4p fighter he lost, so team triple 7 for me.

Team Triple 7. Nice. I had to decode that real quick. 'G' is the seventh letter of the alphabet. It makes sense now.

I do believe Canelo will win the rematch tho with triple 7, but in a rematch triple siete doesn't have Mayweathers' skill to adapt.

Last edited:
You do realize that GGG has taken very little damage in most of his bouts. He is 35 and thus on the cusp. He could easily be a bit too old and got this fight a bit too late. But he isn't as worn as you think.

To say that he looks like shit is simply wrong. He rushed against a welterweight who he didn't respect. Why would he? A WW won't have the power to stop GGG. And Jacobs is frickin' good. Anybody fighting Jacobs that night looks mortal.
Yeah and I don't know but I think maybe a majority of people on this board would favour Jacobs over Canelo right now. Just my guess, but I know I would. So beating Jacobs in a very close fight doesn't suggest that GGG has diminished all that much. And even Kell Brook is an excellent boxer, but Golovkin just rushed him and then broke his orbital bone and stopped him in the 4th or whenever it was so I don't think that all that much can be taken from that fight either.

I don't like the strategy Canelo's team took for this fight of having him bulk up.

Canelo's already the type of fighter that fights in spurts, then goes and hangs out on the ropes to get air back in his lungs. Him putting on more muscle mass is just going to further exasperate this process against a pressure fighter with cardio and power for days.

I'm seriously at a loss on this one. His recent training videos compared to when he was at 154, looks like the extra mass slowed him down and took a little pep off his punches.

Oh well, still should be a good fight and still have Golovkin by 8 round T(KO).

Peterson tested clean for that Khan fight. A rematch was canceled because Peterson was on testosterone.

Also, Khan fouled Peterson repeatedly. Foul repeatedly= point deductions. He was warned over and over again during that fight. Had Khan not been fouling Peterson like he was, he probably would have got knocked out.

JoJo Diaz-Jorge Lara
Randy Caballero-Diego De La Hoya

That's a good undercard. Guess Oscar is cashing out Caballero.

I figured Matthysse would end up on this card. Anyone know why he's not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back