Canelo - GGG

Status
Not open for further replies.
i believe that is murat gassiev, who spars with golovkin, and is fighting this weekend in the cruiserweight tournament

168 benavedez was also training with golovkin and was supposed to go to canelos camp but alvarez decided against it

Ah ok ! thanks brother, you laying down cash on this fight ?

I have gone back & forth on this fight so many times.

It's difficult to get a "read" off of it & I keep flip-flopping, but at the moment I'm swerving towards GGG in a (relatively) dull fight. If GGG boxes behind his jab, I don't think Canelo is technically proficient enough to find the positioning he needs to set up the combos he needs to win (those kinda squared-up three-four punch barrages then up to the head with the left hook that he likes to throw inside).

I just think Alvarez's feet are much, much too clumsy to deal with a jab like Golovkin's, & I'm relying on the old guy to have enough legs & for his punching to have enough impact to keep Alvarez honest. If Golovkin doesn't take too much damage from the occasional burst Canelo does manage to get through with, I can see GGG taking a decision, something like 8-4 or 9-3 (wide enough that it'd be a particularly egregious robbery if they scored it the other way).

To create the openings he needs where Canelo can do that work, he's gonna suddenly need to develop twice the stamina that he's shown in other fights, 'cos GGG isn't gonna be sprinting backwards like Lara or pinging him like Trout, he's gonna be thudding his head back like a Pez dispenser every time he lands. Facing a natural counterpuncher, I can just see GGG going "Come on then, find a way through this", & I don't think Canelo is good enough at that game to get to him.

This, however, is how I feel this week. I'll probably feel different by this weekend, & different again the week after.

PS: As the recent multi-million dollar sparring match has probably lowered the collective IQ of all combat sports' fans, if only via osmosis, I should add that I am super excited for this fight, even if right now I don't see Hagler-Hearns II.

It's difficult to get a "read" off of it & I keep flip-flopping, but at the moment I'm swerving towards GGG in a (relatively) dull fight. If GGG boxes behind his jab, I don't think Canelo is technically proficient enough to find the positioning he needs to set up the combos he needs to win (those kinda squared-up three-four punch barrages then up to the head with the left hook that he likes to throw inside).

I just think Alvarez's feet are much, much too clumsy to deal with a jab like Golovkin's, & I'm relying on the old guy to have enough legs & for his punching to have enough impact to keep Alvarez honest. If Golovkin doesn't take too much damage from the occasional burst Canelo does manage to get through with, I can see GGG taking a decision, something like 8-4 or 9-3 (wide enough that it'd be a particularly egregious robbery if they scored it the other way).

To create the openings he needs where Canelo can do that work, he's gonna suddenly need to develop twice the stamina that he's shown in other fights, 'cos GGG isn't gonna be sprinting backwards like Lara or pinging him like Trout, he's gonna be thudding his head back like a Pez dispenser every time he lands. Facing a natural counterpuncher, I can just see GGG going "Come on then, find a way through this", & I don't think Canelo is good enough at that game to get to him.

This, however, is how I feel this week. I'll probably feel different by this weekend, & different again the week after.

PS: As the recent multi-million dollar sparring match has probably lowered the collective IQ of all combat sports' fans, if only via osmosis, I should add that I am super excited for this fight, even if right now I don't see Hagler-Hearns II.

Lol I feel the same as you , of course I'll be cheering for Canelo, not sure I can watch it live though
You think there is a big chance for a controversial decision win in favor of Canelo?

Last edited:
Lol I feel the same as you , of course I'll be cheering for Canelo, not sure I can watch it live though
You are think there is a big chance for a controversial decision win in favor of Canelo?

I was watching Bowe-Holyfield II live with my old man when the Fan Man came into the ring. Also, we saw Pernell vs Chavez live.

So, you know. I'd like to say "Nothing in boxing surprises me any more!" but really I just expect the worst & boxing lives down to my cynicism.

I was watching Bowe-Holyfield II live with my old man when the Fan Man came into the ring. Also, we saw Pernell vs Chavez live.

So, you know. I'd like to say "Nothing in boxing surprises me any more!" but really I just expect the worst & boxing lives down to my cynicism.

I remember sitting up when i was a young teen watching all of that shit unfold live also....

I have a dog called 'Randall' :)

I'm gonna start a new thread so i dont derail this one

I'm leaning towards Golovkin by decision.

GGG by late stoppage. Canelo will land on GGG but his power is not proven at 160.

Bump. For gods sake people, can we talk about this fight instead of the shit show this weekend?
I think aside from the fallout of this weekend's circus and the generally slower pace of the boxing forum, I think the major thing stifling discussion is that this seems like a hard fight to call. Shit, I still can't make up my mind.

Honest question: if both land something big early in the fight, who hurts who the most and who is more likely to fold?

Nice analysis! I keep flipping on this fight too. Right now I'm leaning towards Canelo but you make good points about his footwork and stamina. If he gets some good body work in early and consistently, I think he'll really slow G down. But like you said, if G gets the jab going, Canelo could be in for a long night. It could end up looking like Lemieux vs. G.

Tough fight, really looking forward to this one.

i think it's great that they play into eachother's strengths. golovkin presses forward with his battering jab, canelo counters over it. both work the body.

canelo has the speed, but golovkin has the power. both are durable as all hell.

if anyone is getting stopped, it's canelo - but this probably goes to the judges after grueling 12 rounds. if it's close, canelo will probably take it and we'll all be bitching about it. i'm hoping for a golovkin stoppage, though.

I told @stuff jones if he made a Canelo/GGG thread I'd post in it. I just wrote this for a different thread on the topic a few days ago:

My assessment is that Golovkin doesn't really fight well going backward. If you look at the Lemieux fight, most of the time that Lemieux initiates action, Golovkin creates space and resets before trying to initiate the action himself. And in the other hand, Canelo starts looking kind of average when he has to move forward. Both guys have good jabs. I didn't really give GGG a lot of credit for his jab against Lemieux because David's not exactly difficult to find. But GGG used it with a lot of success against Jacobs (it's probably what won him the fight) so it's obviously well schooled. But Canelo also jabbed on even terms (or otherwise dealt with it) with Cotto who is arguably the best jabber in the sport.

So to that end, I think most of the fight is going to happen when Golovkin comes forward where he looks his best, forcing Canelo backward where he looks best. I think they're going to go tit for tat on jabs. Golovkin will jab, Canelo will counter jab. Canelo won't try to back up Golovkin and Golovkin isn't going to shy away from Canelo either. So to me the fight comes down to the inside. Over the course of the fight, I think Canelo's body work will slow Golovkin down enough that Saul can start throwing more combinations.

Golovkin will probably take the first several rounds before Canelo starts finding the openings and starts slowing Golovkin down. Then Canelo's combination punching will start to take over. I think it'll be close in that way. Even if it ends up getting stopped, I think the scorecards will reflect that when it happens.

Honest question: if both land something big early in the fight, who hurts who the most and who is more likely to fold?
I think Canelo hurts more, Fold? man that's tough when you have a nation behind you like Canelo and GGG is super tough as nails

Damn great question. I don't think any of them fold

i think it's great that they play into eachother's strengths. golovkin presses forward with his battering jab, canelo counters over it. both work the body.

canelo has the speed, but golovkin has the power. both are durable as all hell.

if anyone is getting stopped, it's canelo - but this probably goes to the judges after grueling 12 rounds. if it's close, canelo will probably take it and we'll all be bitching about it. i'm hoping for a golovkin stoppage, though.

Why do you think Canelo is durable? When has he faced a big punching MW or frankly been in any war with a big puncher?

Why do you think Canelo is durable? When has he faced a big punching MW or frankly been in any war with a big puncher?
for one, he's never touched the canvas and i've only ever seen him hurt against cotto's brother, who he finished soon afterwards. he's done plenty of 12 rounders and he's been hit by some good punchers. kirkland isn't much of anything, but he is powerful. cotto has proper power. neither had him even flinching. he's also been there with really good boxers like lara and mayweather, and he never stopped trying to win. he fights well when he's the front runner and he can fight back from a deficit. he is durable in every sense of the word.

people love to say he fades in the later rounds, but i can't think of any such example in his recent fights. if anything, his opponents fade due to his consistent body work.

but he's never been in with anyone like golovkin, hence my prediction of canelo being the only one here potentially getting stopped. i won't be surprised at all if it goes to a decision, though.

I think there's a lot of negativity around Golovkin's performance against Jacobs. I think it takes away from the fact that Jacobs is a very good middleweight who was nearly a LHW. I think Jacobs would beat most other Middleweights including Canelo.

On the other hand I hear a lot of talk about how good Canelo looked against a dead body in Chavez Jr who he didn't hurt and never came close to stopping him.

I don't see Canelo hurting Golovkin, I see a competitive fight for 4 rounds before Golovkin takes over. I don't think he stops Canelo but he could drop him and take a UD

This.I got GGG winning by TKO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back