Calvillo vs Calderwood: post-fight exchange

That's my take. I find it hard to give a fighter a round based on 30 sec where they dominated the grappling. A lot of people are pointing out that Calvillo nearly had the finish but the bottom line is that she didn't finish. Unless near finished subs are scored as highly as KDs, there is no way that 30 sec should give her the round. It was bogus sherbro-level judging.
It should be scored highly, imo. Especially when very little else happens. Jo controlled nearly the entire fight, yet also managed to land nearly nothing significant.

Round two was absolute madness to have been scored for Calvillo. The over two are arguable.

Really getting sick of these fighters that think maintaining distance is "running".

Bruhhhh fight me on my strengths, why are you running!? Learn to cut off the cage you fucking idiots.
The problem is the cage. It's huge, without real corners. Owning the centre of it should still win an otherwise even round.

Calvillo didn't win the fight based off her 30sec-1min of grappling but it for sure secured the win. Calvillo dominated the striking as well. Calvillo dominated this fight easily 29-28 RD 1 and 3. Look at the huge hematoma on Calderwood's forehead, blood coming out of her nose/mouth throughout the fight, Calvillo's untouched face other than a small cut and tell me who that fight in the striking department lol.

So stupid.

R1 Calvillo
R2-3 Calderwood

As I explained: I can't give R3 To Calvillo simple because she hit a TD and got close with the RNC. You don't score a sub attempt based on what could have happened if time didn't run out. Both fighters are aware of the clock and take decisions accordingly. That's the game.

And to give Calvillo R2 is just nonsense. Bloodying Calderwoods nose with a jab is not equivalent to a KD.

Interesting. How clear do you think Calvillo got Rd 1?

Interesting. How clear do you think Calvillo got Rd 1?

Every round was close IMO. A close, competitive fight can still have a clear winner though. And as I see it, the striking was not as close as Fightmetric would suggest, make Calvillo's 30 s of ground domination at the end of R3 less of a factor.

Every round was close IMO. A close, competitive fight can still have a clear winner though. And as I see it, the striking was not as close as Fightmetric would suggest, make Calvillo's 30 s of ground domination at the end of R3 less of a factor.

So you wouldn't have been shocked with a Calderwood 30-27?

It's interesting to me that you keep going back to Rd 3. A lot of people that favor Calderwood are actually arguing Rd 1.

Like I said, I really don't know how anyone scored that fight for Calderwood. Not shockingly, not a single judge did and not a single play by play did. I never look at scoring a round in absolutes, but more of % chance that someone won that round. Rd 1 I'd say there was probably a 90% chance that was going to Calvillo. With Rd 2, I'd actually say 70% chance of going to Calderwood. With Rd 3, probably a 95% chance going to Calvillo. Once the scorecards were read and I heard the 30-27s and knew it wasn't split, there wasn't a shred of doubt in my mind that Calvillo won it.

Calder did jack shit but flick out a few weak ass kicks none of which did any significant damage if they landed at all.

yeah but you are a known Jojo hater

Nah, I'm not a hater. I have been following Jojo since her Invicta days and was hyped when she was selected to TUF. But it's been hard to appreciate her entitled white girl attitude. Also lots of sherdoggers give her a pussy pass just because she's soft spoken.

R3 is where she outstruck Calvillo by the widest margin. Calvillo is the one who stood around doing little until those final 30 sec.

But what did she really land that was effective or damaging? MMA isn't point fighting, and when someone takes you down, gets dominant position and nearly chokes you out, that's going to override an uneventful round where neither landed anything significant.

Jojo almost spinning backfisted her head off in the 2nd..... nothing CC landed had even close to the same impact
And what happened after that? Calvillo got up immediately and they both laughed and high fived each other. The only thing cool about it is that it was a double spinning backfist they both threw at the same time. I think it was more a loss of balance than "knocking her head off".

What's the point of landing significant strikes if they aren't followed by more significant strikes?

She missed weight badly, ok, that's on her. But she's a first-time offender. And let's be honest: a lot of SWs struggle due to the big gap between the two women's divisions. Saying that she "can't be bothered" is massive hyperbole.
She always complains about the weight issue. I'm all for 125, it's much needed for the women, but Calderwood's been fighting at 115 for the past 3+ years. That's where she's had to be and she should be professional about it and make the weight and stop complaining. She openly admits she likes to pig out and she gets noticeably pudgy in between fights.

To listen to a fighter complain about making weight the week of the fight, it's an indication of looking for excuses.

I would agree in a typical close fight, but that fact that Calvilho did everything she could to avoid an exchange for 80% of the fight means I don't on this occasion, JoJo tried to fight, she was the aggressor while her opponent tried and succeeded in avoiding the fight and stealing the rounds with some late takedowns.

I just don't like seeing anti-fighting rewarded.

I think you exaggerate the case. As Calvillo is faster on her feet, and has a shorter reach, she will smartly do a lot of avoidance until good opportunities present themselves. Shevchenko and Holm also get boo'd for doing a lot of avoidance. It is a style. In boxing too. Should Jo Jo be rewarded for not showing an ability to cut off the cage? The fact is, at no time did Calvillo look to be in any sort of danger of being finished by Jo Jo, whereas Jo Jo appeared to have been twice saved by the bell. Maybe if Jo Jo had treated Calvillo as if she had harmed her, pressing her looking for a finish after the spinning backfist, the judges might have given her more credit for that having been more of a threat of a finish. But laughing and high-fiving sure doesn't give any such impression that the situation held any significant threat.

Last edited:
And what happened after that? Calvillo got up immediately and they both laughed and high fived each other. The only thing cool about it is that it was a double spinning backfist they both threw at the same time. I think it was more a loss of balance than "knocking her head off".

What's the point of landing significant strikes if they aren't followed by more significant strikes?

She always complains about the weight issue. I'm all for 125, it's much needed for the women, but Calderwood's been fighting at 115 for the past 3+ years. That's where she's had to be and she should be professional about it and make the weight and stop complaining. She openly admits she likes to pig out and she gets noticeably pudgy in between fights.

To listen to a fighter complain about making weight the week of the fight, it's an indication of looking for excuses.
it was still the most significant strike of the entire fight

it was still the most significant strike of the entire fight
I disagree. I think the one that busted up JoJo's nose was the most significant and had the most lasting damage. Calderwood was breathing through her mouth afterwards. It looked bad for the remainder of that round.

That's my take. I find it hard to give a fighter a round based on 30 sec where they dominated the grappling. A lot of people are pointing out that Calvillo nearly had the finish but the bottom line is that she didn't finish. Unless near finished subs are scored as highly as KDs, there is no way that 30 sec should give her the round. It was bogus sherbro-level judging.

Often more happens in 30 seconds than does in the other 4 minutes and 30 seconds of the round. 30 second of domination is certainly enough to give a person a round.

I disagree. I think the one that busted up JoJo's nose was the most significant and had the most lasting damage. Calderwood was breathing through her mouth afterwards. It looked bad for the remainder of that round.
Jojos nose bleeds if you stare at it long enough..... it wasnt even that good of a punch

Jojos backfist sent CC halfway across the cage

Realistically, it should have (and could have) been a draw, but the scoring system is pure garbage.

WHAT? Calvillo dominated that fight.

Nobody dominated shit in that fight. 14 minutes of that fight was Jo Jo stalking Cynthia, but throwing nothing but teeps while Cynthia landed a random combo here and there.

Very bad fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back