Calvillo vs Calderwood: post-fight exchange | Page 9

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CPH, Jul 17, 2017.

1. aerius Brown Belt

aerius
    Whittaker's another great example, I can't believe I forgot about him. He's one of the few strikers who are doing it right. While some adjustments are needed when facing grapplers, Whittaker and Joanna always fight aggressively and throw strikes to do damage rather than playing it safe and throwing strikes to keep distance/score points while looking for a big KO shot or waiting for the clock to run out. They understand that effective offence and doing damage is important for winning rounds & fights, it doesn't matter if they get taken down in the last minute of a round when they've spent the previous 4 minutes turning their opponent's faces into chopped liver.

NinjaNiK and Dart Feld like this.
  2. CPH Let's party

CPH
    ^ Types up a bunch of nonsense completely misrepresenting the issue, walks away declaring victory. Super. Have a nice day!

3. MusterX Steel Belt

MusterX
    You mean you would give it to Calderwood based on her 743 teep kicks, most of which missed? The fight was terrible on both there parts but it was an obvious Calvillo win. Should have been 29-28 on all 3 cards so its gotta make you wonder how stupid some of the judges are.

4. MusterX Steel Belt

MusterX
    Calvillo was the obvious winner but it should have been 29-28's on all three cards. The two judges that scored it 30-27 should be forced back into ref class.

5. Rowlz Reclusive

Rowlz
    Poor dumb little casual cant score mma its ok. You'll get it one day lmao

6. MMAcolyte Brown Belt

MMAcolyte
    /thread

Egnuldt likes this.
  7. ArtemV Silver Belt

ArtemV
    I really don't understand the love for Calderwood; a lot of people talk about her next level muay thai attack, but when does she ever show it?? She was supposed to dominate Calvillo when striking, but she let it get too close and the only meaningful parts of the fight were when Calvillo took Calderwood down- and her back.

Egnuldt and Defeat Unknown like this.
  8. MMAcolyte Brown Belt

MMAcolyte
    I'm shocked that this seems to be a minority opinion around here. Sherdog never fails to amaze me.

NinjaNiK likes this.
  9. Munnings242 Blue Belt

Munnings242
    It's because they react quick on takedowbs

10. xhaydenx Green Belt

xhaydenx
    I like Jojo but I gave it to Cynthia.

I think JoJo might just be done. I know she's always been this way a bit, but she just has no killer instinct anymore and she seems totally gunshy at this point.

She'll never get anywhere near a title shot at SW with the way she fights. Someone like Markos would be coming forward too much. Rose would be throwing too much volume. KK and Gadelha would make it dirty and maul her. I don't even know if she gets past Herrig at this point. Herrig probably outworks her too.

Her vs JJ would be a total mismatch.

Hopefully she turns it up and can be successful at 125.

NinjaNiK and Defeat Unknown like this.
  11. CPH Let's party

CPH
    I just rewatched the fight.

First of all, the armbar to end the first round was not close. Calvillo lost it as she tried to hammer Calderwood to break her grip, allowing her to slip the elbow out before the bell rang.

Second of all, the idea that the standup portions of the fight were 'too close to call' is bullshit. Calderwood clearly outstruck her in every round, landing more and better shots.

The fightmetric stats are garbage, chalking up strikes for Calvillo that should either have not been significant or should not have counted at all. Arm punches, shoulder connections, body jabs barely making contact... fightmetric gives her 2 low kicks in the second, for ex., when in reality, Calderwood checked them all.

And while Calvillo is landing body jabs, glancing arm punches and phantom low kicks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Hardkore Steel Belt

Hardkore
    Apparently sherdoggers as well