Calvillo vs Calderwood: post-fight exchange

Whittaker put on 2 great displays of committing to strikes while facing the 2 best grapplers/wrestlers in his division this year. Even with the more conservative nature of the Romero fight, his push kicks were damaging and actually thrown to set up his offense rather than merely probing.

Having a focus on neutralizing your opponent's style only is a tricky game to play in this kind of stylistic matchup(esp. when strike total is low), it always leaves an opening for a grappler to swing rounds. In this case, the TDs were actually substantiated with significant proceeding grappling exchanges rather than LnP. Overall I think the fight was close but I believe JoJo left the door open for her not getting the nod by having so much of her volume being on strikes that were only thrown to attempt to maintain distance. If she had mixed in more elbows(which Calvillo was open for on the end of her combinations) and attacked the lead leg more then it might've been less of a window for Cynthia to edge it.

Whittaker's another great example, I can't believe I forgot about him. He's one of the few strikers who are doing it right. While some adjustments are needed when facing grapplers, Whittaker and Joanna always fight aggressively and throw strikes to do damage rather than playing it safe and throwing strikes to keep distance/score points while looking for a big KO shot or waiting for the clock to run out. They understand that effective offence and doing damage is important for winning rounds & fights, it doesn't matter if they get taken down in the last minute of a round when they've spent the previous 4 minutes turning their opponent's faces into chopped liver.

You did say that near finished subs should not count as high as knockdowns, though ('Unless near finished subs count as high as KDs...'), apparently unaware of how absurd that sounds in an MMA context (perhaps having a sunk RNC or armbar at the bell should only count as much as throwing a punch, given Calderwood didn't even score a KD in either of those rounds!).
Since you're obviously extremely biased towards striking, can safely ignore your opinion on this, nothing more to discuss here, moving on...

^ Types up a bunch of nonsense completely misrepresenting the issue, walks away declaring victory. Super. Have a nice day!

There was 2 30-27's right? As soon as I heard that I thought "I cant believe they gave JoJo the 1st" - how did Calvillo win R2? R1, sure, R2 was all JoJo, R3 I can see how they'd give it to Calvillo for the last 30 seconds, but I personally would have scored that for JoJo because of the first 4min.

You mean you would give it to Calderwood based on her 743 teep kicks, most of which missed? The fight was terrible on both there parts but it was an obvious Calvillo win. Should have been 29-28 on all 3 cards so its gotta make you wonder how stupid some of the judges are.

I honestly have no clue how anyone could score that fight for Calderwood. Not a single judge did and not a single play by play did.

Calvillo was the obvious winner but it should have been 29-28's on all three cards. The two judges that scored it 30-27 should be forced back into ref class.

You actually thought Calderwood won the fight? She was saved by the bell twice. That does count for something (especially when 96% of the rest of the round was nothing much happening on the feet - the other 4% being getting taken down and almost instantly submitted).

IIRC 100% of the media scores were for Calvillo. You're a Calderwood fan AFAIK. Who's doing the bogus sherbro level judging here?

/thread

I really don't understand the love for Calderwood; a lot of people talk about her next level muay thai attack, but when does she ever show it?? She was supposed to dominate Calvillo when striking, but she let it get too close and the only meaningful parts of the fight were when Calvillo took Calderwood down- and her back.

Sorry, gotta disagree. The only way Calderwood wins is under traditional Thai scoring where punches barely count unless they cause a knockdown. Calderwood had most of her kicks blocked or miss, and none of the ones that landed were hard or clean. She didn't break Calvillo's stance with her kicks, knock her backwards, or snap her head back, there was nothing really damaging. Calvillo on the other hand landed several punches that stopped JoJo in her tracks and snapped her head back, she landed the cleaner harder strikes in the fight.

I might give the 2nd round to JoJo if I were feeling generous, in the 1st & 3rd she was losing even without the takedowns. Weak kicks to the legs & body for no damage are outweighed by clean hard punches to the face that knock the head back and cause visible damage.

I'm shocked that this seems to be a minority opinion around here. Sherdog never fails to amaze me.

Whittaker's another great example, I can't believe I forgot about him. He's one of the few strikers who are doing it right. While some adjustments are needed when facing grapplers, Whittaker and Joanna always fight aggressively and throw strikes to do damage rather than playing it safe and throwing strikes to keep distance/score points while looking for a big KO shot or waiting for the clock to run out. They understand that effective offence and doing damage is important for winning rounds & fights, it doesn't matter if they get taken down in the last minute of a round when they've spent the previous 4 minutes turning their opponent's faces into chopped liver.
It's because they react quick on takedowbs

I like Jojo but I gave it to Cynthia.

I think JoJo might just be done. I know she's always been this way a bit, but she just has no killer instinct anymore and she seems totally gunshy at this point.

She'll never get anywhere near a title shot at SW with the way she fights. Someone like Markos would be coming forward too much. Rose would be throwing too much volume. KK and Gadelha would make it dirty and maul her. I don't even know if she gets past Herrig at this point. Herrig probably outworks her too.

Her vs JJ would be a total mismatch.

Hopefully she turns it up and can be successful at 125.

I just rewatched the fight.

First of all, the armbar to end the first round was not close. Calvillo lost it as she tried to hammer Calderwood to break her grip, allowing her to slip the elbow out before the bell rang.

Second of all, the idea that the standup portions of the fight were 'too close to call' is bullshit. Calderwood clearly outstruck her in every round, landing more and better shots.

The fightmetric stats are garbage, chalking up strikes for Calvillo that should either have not been significant or should not have counted at all. Arm punches, shoulder connections, body jabs barely making contact... fightmetric gives her 2 low kicks in the second, for ex., when in reality, Calderwood checked them all.

And while Calvillo is landing body jabs, glancing arm punches and phantom low kicks:

$

$

$

$

$

Back